Monday, July 9, 2012

Dying Tatting Thread

I wanted to dye some crochet thread to tat with and had some Rit Dye I got from yard sales for 10 cents a package.
So you take one part white vinegar and three parts water and mix together. I wound off enough to make these hanks off the cones. Then I got them wet all the way through in the vinegar water mixture then placed them down on newspapers and some plastic wrap. I laid the wet hank on the wrap then mixed up the dye with some water and blotted it on the hank here and there to make color combinations.
Then I wrapped it up in a roll and put it in a cool-whip container and microwaved it for 1-2 minutes. Run cold water over and take off the plastic wrap. Keep rinsing the thread till the water runs clear, then hang them up to dry. I can't wait to try and tat with them!

8 comments:

  1. you have some very pretty colorways there. I will be interested to see how they tat up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am learning to dye thread too. I love the colors you used. Should be interesting to see how they tat up. I am curious about the Koolaide dyeing as well. I will be watching with great interest. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the colours you have , would love to see some tatted up
    Hugs
    Joy in OZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the colors are beautiful and I can't wait to see some of them tatted up!
    FYI: I've dyed some sock yarn with Kool-aid and didn't need to use vinegar. The color is set!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! And you are right, the balls do look different than the hanks. Who would have guessed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so talented. Can I be just like you when I grow up? They look fabulous all wound up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing! You are such an inspiration for me! I'm so glad I'm getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collected lots of crochet thread from yard sales over the years, with tatting thread so costly this was affordable to me. It is good getting to know you too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...