Monday, July 18, 2016

Monday Message


"The best place to have some food set aside is within our homes...
"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week's food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. . . . I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all.
"Begin in a small way, . . . and gradually build toward a reasonable objective." (Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley, Oct 2002 and quoted again in April 2007)

I have been thinking on skills and Joseph Smith’s mother came to mind. When they had a financial reversal she used one of her skills painting oil cloths to help her family.

We can use our skills whether it be sewing or some other skill you have developed. When we cook from scratch it helps to stretch our family money. 

How are you doing at building your storage? Building your skills? I would like to hear of your successes bshook@huxcomm.net. Also, if there is something you want me to cover, e-mail me. I would be more than happy to spotlight what you would like.

I know how to sew but I want to better that skill, so that is one skill I am working on.

I know how to knit.  I can knit socks even but I continue to improve that skill.

I continue to grow what skills I have learned.

Learning to weave, ha! You might think that is easy to learn, after all, I know how to weave baskets. Believe me, it is a lot harder than I thought but I put in study time and have learned more than at the beginning.

Tatting is something I have always wanted to learn and I have learned a lot. Now you ask, how does that fit in with skills…?  I read about a lady who kept learning to tat and building on it. Her answer was she wanted to be the best she could be at it. In the end when her family was in financial down turn she was able to earn needed money from tatting.

I once read an article about how the pioneers had little space to bring things with them so some would bring their tatting shuttles and thread, this fits in a pocket. They designed edgings for pillow cases, slips and curtain edges to beautify their homes. Some were dugouts but they could bring a bit of civilization to it. It was once called poor man’s lace…but now it is sought after.

I could tell you stories of how people made it through hard times, for there have been many hard times in history to go around.

Like one of our leaders went to a war-torn country would fill suitcases with oranges to give the women he spoke to at a women’s conference. They would have them come up and get one. When one woman saw a small sewing kit in the suitcase she asked if she could have that instead and they gave it to her. As she went back to her seat other women said we expect you will share it.

Can you imagine? We take needles and thread and oranges for granted. I think that is why I have picked up at yardsales things like sewing notions, thread and needles, fabric and even sewing machines, even a couple treadles that are foot driven too. I think of these stories and others as incentive to help me prepare needful things.

All we need do is look to those who have gone before us for examples of what you should do to be prepared.
www.simplyprepared.com/spiritual_aspects_of_self-reliant_living.htm
http://recipegoldmine.com/scratch/scratch.html recipes to help

http://www.simplyprepared.com/preparedness.htm

We did not have a lot of money and still don’t but we tried to never wah wah wah about, I tried to find fun for free. For example, we could not afford a funnel cake so we came home and I found a recipe for one from scratch and made us funnel cakes, everyone loved them.

Find ways to show you are happy and come up with fun or a recipe.

We need to learn to stay within our incomes not take a second job or go into debt because you want things…things. Think about it. If your husband has to work a second job just for things you need to rethink what is more important, your husband's family time or things? Things are not important and could easily be found at yardsales. What are you teaching your children? To get the things at any cost? Is that what you want them to learn? Or to say no to a husband because he can’t get stuff…or do you want them to be like this…

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/youth-curriculum/11-november?lang=eng&_r=1

If this does not hit home then start studying on love and sacrifice.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/01/happily-living-within-our-means?

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/07/powdered-milk-budgets-and-blessings?lang=eng this is touching an answer to prayer

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2016/07/make-finger-jello-kids/ while it is hot keep these in refrigerator.

Keep working on building your storage, keep working on those skills and keep working on living within your means. You and your family will be truly blessed.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad how much we take for granted. My grandmother remembers the war and hard times so I grew up with the respect for everything I have and I'm so grateful for that. I really like your blog and the common sense you pass on :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Mari i try to be helpful being prepared is way easier then when something happens and you weren't prepared.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...