Monday, April 30, 2018

Monday Message


"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. We could refer to all the components of personal and family preparedness, not in relation to holocaust or disaster, but in cultivating a life-style that is on a day-to-day basis its own reward." (President Spencer W. Kimball)

A way of life - I love this quote.  If you lived frugally and had your storage and skills then when something unfortunate happened you could more calmly handle what life throws at you. 

If you think back to the hard times in your life, would having skills and supplies on hand have made a difference? Sometimes we can look to these times to help us prepare. Also, looking to what other people have done can be helpful as well.  

I have mentioned before someone telling about an ice storm they went through to our north. The storm took out power for weeks. They were prepared and had a wood burning stove. But as the time went on and there was still no power they had to go find wood as they were using theirs up. It was very dangerous to go find wood as they could hear trees cracking branches under the weight of the ice. The branches were falling all around and we are not talking twigs.

They would go out and turn on the car to hear the radio to see how far away work crews were from them. They had food stocked up and had candles, which she mentioned they put one in a jar at night on the toilet tank so that the kids could see to go to the bathroom and that was after flashlight batteries wore down. For the most part they did okay. They had board games and books. She said the thing that bothered her the most was that the floor could not be vacuumed.

So I remembered this when I went to a yard sale and saw a carpet sweeper for 75 cents. I snatched it up. This was preparing to me, learning from someone else and what they went through. So learn from your bad times and learn from others. Believe me, we have had lots of things going on around the world to learn from and prepare. I may never have an ice storm that takes out power for two weeks but then I might, it has happened here before. But paying 75 cents is a small price to pay to do my floor so it doesn’t drive me nuts.



When hurricanes knock out power for many days we hear of people having block parties and cooking food from their freezers. From this we see it would be good to have food stored in other forms that are not perishable. I know we will never get a hurricane in Iowa but we do get tornadoes. I do have things in the freezer but I also have canned meat, fruit, and veggies. I also have the stuff stored to can the frozen things if needed. 



So what I am saying is while none of us can miss having hard times, we can offset the impact. Of course some things cannot be prepared for but then we have ourselves, others, and our skills.    Not to mention we can be prepared to help others. Once I read where a lady had a neighbor who when she asked if he was prepared for tornado season he said yes he has his crowbar in the basement she was curious and asked, crowbar? He said if anyone gets hit he would grab it and help his neighbors and if he got hit he could use it to get out.

So again think about your hard times. What would have made them better?

What if you loved loved loved raspberry jam and you could not get any, you just could only have plain toast until things got better? I think you would wish you had some raspberry jam all that while... This is just a tiny example. You could live on the plain toast as long as you stored and had things like pans and ingredients but raspberry jam you would be thinking about…and if you grew raspberries and built your skills to make jam this would enhance your life.



When you go to yard sales or thrift stores think about items that will help you. Instead of buying a knickknack, get a rolling pin or knitting needles or sewing notions. I even have gotten winterizing items, just thinking ahead. Always think, what would I need? Not, what do I want? That is the key.

I have been blessed to buy things at yard sales that have helped us over these many years. Yes, we had to budget for the yard sales but it is amazing what you can find.

When we first moved back to Iowa we had no refrigerator and no stove and two little girls. I had a freezer, a crockpot that sat on a base, a waffle iron, and a microwave for cooking devices. Let me tell you that it was very hard and I had to be creative.  

It was hard, I kid you not. The base of the crockpot is like a griddle but tiny for a family of four. I learned how to do desserts in a crockpot.

And I learned to make French toast in the waffle iron. We called them eggy waffles.

Eventually we could get a used refrigerator or a used stove for one hundred dollars. So I decided I would like a stove more than a refrigerator since I could only get one. I then looked in the free flyer which showed yard sales and I saw used refrigerators that were perfect for worm refrigerators that were twenty dollars. We borrowed a truck and stopped at the sale on way to get the stove. They sold me one refrigerator for fifteen dollars. It was very old and we picked up the stove, very old as well. I felt soooo good to get both. We had them for years.

Later I found an electric skillet at a yard sale for two dollars. I saw it and remembered this hard time and thought… I wish I had this then, so I got it even though the thought came to me that I might never be there again. Don’t listen to those voices. I went ahead and got this…



We were able to get a new stove a long while later by then. They changed to electronic ignition which means when the electricity goes so does the oven. I stirred up an angel food cake and went to put it in the oven and that element went out. It was a gas stove. I had recently heard you could bake an angel food cake in an electric skillet. So I got out this pan and baked the cake and yes, it worked, so you never know.

Things I have found helpful…













And many more items that have been very useful. The kerosene lamps I picked up have served us well through many storms.

The long pan with candles in it I use for decoration but is really for storage if we needed light.

I use lots of storage items to decorate with, just think outside the box.

I made this basket to hold emergency candles in.



When things were better for us I stocked more things like sewing supplies, first aide supplies, and food storage, and found things we could use for less money etc. When things weren’t so good we were able to manage better.

Give thought to what you would wish you had gotten if you had no money and if you think that no money never happens, think again.  Do the best you can. Prepare for as much as you can

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this message. It gave me a lot to think about. I realize I am not very prepared and sometimes I don't purchase things even at thrift store prices that I know would be useful in hard times because I think having cash in bad times would be useful too. I did go to a church sale over the weekend and purchased 4 shuttlecocks for 25 cents. We already have several rackets so I figured for 25 cents they could provide some much needed entertainment and exercise if they had to.
    Thanks for the great message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment very frugal purchase give yourself a gold star

      Delete
  2. I love your stained glass windows!
    We have quite a supply of food. Our gas stove can be started with a match, if need be. I’m sure I could do a lot more. We live in a tiny house so there’s not a lot of extra room for storage. We seem to manage, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my husband did the stained glass i love them too i know it is harder in small places to store before we added a basement under the addition i stored food in one bedroom we put shelves and did that the basement helped move storage down to a cooler level but just as important we needed a place to go for safety in tornado warnings. I love how people have stored under beds using risers i have a friend ho made a kitchen island hollow to put storage in another friend had a counter that on dining room side over hung by four to six inches tey builtshelves that deep under and put cans of veggis it was soooo neat

      Delete
  3. So sensible and inspiring. I am seeing a lot of useful basics in thrift stores all the time. There is a de cluttering phase and people are throwing out everything that is usually the back up plan as they are told "they can go buy it" if they need it rather than it "take up space" in their homes. But like here where we hd power outages you cant buy anything in those times as they shut the shops! People wanted fuel cans and generators, batteries, flash lights and you could not buy these things for WEEKS. So what you will need you need ready and on hand at home. Wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed having at your home makes it better for your family and those who are around you. I use a lot of the things needed.... to decorate with our house was built in 1879 shy of closets as in none it is hard to be prepared for everything especially with no money tha is why i push so hard to do as much as you can when you have money

      Delete
  4. Well said words. I remember 30 years ago I had a sick baby and no money. She needed an $80.00 prescription, so I took every small kitchen appliance and all the dishes out in the front yard and put up a yard sale sign. When I had sold $80.00 I took everything left back in. Almost all of my small appliances were yard sale finds. We had a dehydrator that I used every year for 17 years that I purchased for $5.00. Yesterday when our power went out. I had made a big batch of home made chicken noodle soup. When the kids came over I heated it up on the canning stove out on the back porch. I had made rhubarb and apple pies so we had a nice meal out on the back deck with no power. We all laughed about eating this delicious home made meal and felt sorry for our neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that is exactly how it works great job

      Delete
  5. I love your stained glass windows too. You really need to show us all the great things about your home. You and your husband are so creative. I've never used a sweeper and always wondered if they worked pretty well. .75 cents sounds like a bargain. I enjoyed this post and hope to be more mindful of my bargain shopping for things like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That window is to left of fireplace there is another on rt of it also with stained glass and oil lamps the sweeper works great i use it between vac. When i go to thrift stores or yard sales i glance over and think on the items asking myself what could i need not just what i want needs are first like one time i was in thrift store and i saw a metal pasta maker hand crank like the ones that make flat noodles but this one made macaroni and other shapes i already have the flat noodle one but this was so neat do i need it probably not as pasta is cheap but what if is always whispering in my ear it was five dollars i have never seen one before or since so a good purchase very heavy duty so let that what if whisper in your ear

      Delete
    2. I stand corrected i got out the pasta machine to take a pic for an upcoming blog and the price was $3.99 and it makes cork screw pasta

      Delete
  6. I would have gotten the sweeper too. My grandma had one. Wish I had it. After Super Storm Sandy hit friends were asking to borrow our camping stove and camping coffee pot. People thought they would be fine with a BBQ but didn't think power would be out for 2 weeks. They soon ran out of fuel. We have 2 propane BBQs with extra propane, a charcoal BBQ, a smoker, a firepit with wood and a Coleman stove.
    A friend had to ask me for cash because she didn't have any. When power goes out ATMs don't work. Stores that were running on generators were only taking cash. No cash, no sale.
    I am amazed how little everyone learned from the storm. Very few people have prepared in any way since. My friend still doesn't keep cash in her house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments yes we all need to learn from others we have had terrible storms tonight we have been in basement once already tonight there are quite a few tornadoes tonight so far in iowa.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...