Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Monday Message



"Start now to create a plan if you don’t already have one, or update your present plan. Watch for best buys that will fit into your year’s supply. We are not in a situation that requires panic buying, but we do need to be careful in purchasing and rotating the storage that we’re putting away. The instability in the world today makes it imperative that we take heed of the counsel and prepare for the future." (L. Tom Perry) 

Here in Iowa some corn is very short and tasseled. Already some fields are better than others. This is like our lives, there are some years that aren't as good as others so in good years our ancestors put up food for the lean years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VFHXFDUVMY - their weather has been flooding, then the heat was really bad.

This is the last day of this awful heat wave, hopefully... It has been a rugged go of it. We had warning of it going to happen so I prepared so that I would not have to cook using the oven which would add heat to what was already way hot, a heat index of 111 degrees. That is really hot. So it is in some small way like storing food for a time of need. The only difference was we knew what was coming.

We don't always know what is coming...

We sometimes knew when things slowed down for a company my husband worked for but more times than not we didn't see it coming. We were blessed to have a storage in.

I have been thinking about thinking outside of the box. It helps if we can think how to use things in a different way.

Such as....



In this picture you see what was probably a fruit holder. I got it for two dollars now it is a yarn holder. In front you see a blue strainer, it is heavy and would work well for a yarn bowl, it was 99 cents. Holding the blue yarn is what was once a paper towel holder, I picked it up for just 35 cents. So with little money and thinking outside the box all these things were made for other purposes.



Just like this cow held a tea light, now it will also be a yarn bowl.

My daughter gave me this cute llama ruler... 



I got this locker white board magnetic board combination to hold patterns while I knit or crochet. 




Well, thinking outside of the box, I put magnet strip on the back of the llama ruler, he or she will not only hold the pattern but I can measure as well. It can be used to take a fast note while working. I also took ribbon and glued it to a magnetic strip which can now be used under the line of direction as well. So now I have quite a useful gadget for not much money.





These crates I used for a mini book shelf.



I got a music stand at a thrift store just for the purpose of holding my bobbin lace pillow which I made out of a piece of wood, sawdust, and a child's dress that I got at a thrift store. The sawdust was ours from wood working.




You notice that wooden box at the back in the last picture it was once a sewing machine drawer.

These are pictures of metal tubs that I have re-purposed into holding supplies for my weaving:





The apple basket is also holding wearing tools.



I know this is kind of picture heavy but I re-purpose a lot of things and I wanted to give you ideas. Look around your house and see if you have something unwanted that could be used in a different way.  Keep working on your storage learn new skills that would help your family and remember look for ways to be frugal.

Look for ways to be kind and give service.



This is his thinking outside the box he decided my basket of reading materials could be used as a bed.

8 comments:

  1. How cute!! I wonder if Gus thinks that book is about him:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I save a lot of containers to repurpose for storage. If I haven't used it within a reasonable amount of time, I send it on to the trash or to the thrift store. Lots of good ideas. Kitty likes his little basket bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea I say. I know if I fixed him some special basket he would turn and walk away funny cat

      Delete
  3. Such great ideas for using things and they look darling. You should have gone into interior design my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is Gus looking cute again.

    I loved your photo heavy entry this week. I love lots of photo's. I get a lot of inspiration.

    Your llama clip board is one of the cutest unique ideas I have ever seen.

    I love unique storage too. I rather have unique thrifted pieces than store bought. It makes me happy and creative. I am also really proud of my storage too. It is special and the history of my home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes looking at things differently helps me find ways to use them

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...