Monday, August 26, 2019

Monday Message


"The counsel to have a year’s supply of basic food, clothing, and commodities was given fifty years ago and has been repeated many times since. Every father and mother are the family’s storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency … [and] God will sustain us through our trials." (James E. Faust) 

Well I have been in canning mode here. In the picture above you can see the pizza sauce I made out of tomatoes that were given to me with jars clean and ready for the next thing which will be salsa.



I also have some oatmeal that I have been vacuum sealing. If you look closely you will see it ready to be put in jars and then vacuum sealed.

Whatever comes my way I put it up one way or another either by canning, freezing, or dehydrating. I try to do the best I can with what I have been blessed with.

I have been blessed to find this equipment. Used dehydrators (yes plural) I got for three dollars and added trays as I could. 



The steamer canner I bought at a yard sale for three dollars, it wasn't even unboxed. 



The pressure canner I got from a friend for ten dollars. 




I found the vacuum sealer at a yard sale for ten dollars. 



These were all gotten at different times but I felt so strongly about getting them that I gave up other things so I could purchase them. I have used them so much over the years and they have been a huge blessing to us. 

So if you keep looking you will find them used but if you cannot then ask around. I put up a sign on the town board that I was looking for free jars and just lately I noticed someone post they had jars free so I was able to get those and feel blessed. So if you are willing to hunt or ask around it may be of help to you.

This is the right time of the year to be putting up food as food in gardens are getting ripe.

Yes, home production is hard work but oh so worth it...

Tip for canning rings - take a wire hanger and undo it then use it like a giant safety pin and slide the rings on it and close it as you can. I hang it on a nail, it helps to keep them handy for canning or vacuum sealing which I do year round.

Do what you can, be willing to work hard and live frugally but most of all be kind to others.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to do jam soon and our apple tree is loaded so I see applesauce and pie filling and drying in my future. The neighbors fig tree is loaded and I will be drying figs in a few weeks. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be a busy bee. Glad you like the blog

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...