Monday, September 30, 2019

Monday Message


"In Argentina, Relief Society leaders are trying to teach the importance of food storage. They wrote: “Unfortunately, most of the sisters [here] cannot afford to buy an extra kilo of sugar, or flour, or an extra liter of oil. However, they have been encouraged to save, even just a spoonful at a time." (Elaine L. Jack) 

This quote always sticks in my mind about how much easier I have it even at my hardest times. They have it so much harder and yet they do this.... I can do this is what I think and so can you, we've got this.

Procrastination is not our friend, we need to avoid it.




I needed to put a new lashing around the rim of this basket that I made long years ago. The second I got it done Gus thought it was his.

Thought I would show my progress on the weird yarn spin...




I have been canning so I haven't had a lot of time to spin but thought you'd like the update.

Since I am all about learning skills, here is an update on the circular sock machine. I am trying to learn the tension which for now I have back to where I think - think - mind you, where it needs to be. I am so still very much a beginner trying to learn this machine. Incredible that anyone ever learned them or even invented them.

I feel the same way about the rug loom. I have a photocopy of the original directions for the loom and I cannot imagine learning it by only reading it, so I guess learning on them would have been largely passed down to next generation...this is why it is so important we teach each other.









I know I have trouble at times with directions, these throw me over the edge.





I am blessed to have YouTube, this has helped me more than a teacher. The other thing that was my biggest blessing was when Interweave ran a sale for five dollars. I was able to get the best instruction ever on warping my other loom, I watch it every time I warp it.

So I guess by showing you these things I wanted to emphasize there is (for me anyway), a huge learning curve but I push on.

The free jars I got from a friend at church I washed and filled everyone of them.

It takes patience to learn new skills on your own. You could learn faster with a teacher if you can find one but if teachers are not in your budget just keep working hard to teach yourself and have patience.

So do what you can. Find what you want to learn and look on YouTube, you might be surprised what you can teach yourself.

Keep working harder on your storage as times look to be bumpy ahead.

Learn skills that will help you.


6 comments:

  1. That quote always gets me too. We cannot even imagine and so we need to be thankful. Great job on filling all those jars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am impressed with all you are learning. I recently finished a pair of socks knit by hand. I used the Fish Lips Kiss heel. It was new to me. I have knit one other pair of socks, a few years ago, but I had to give them to my husband since they were too big for me. This pair does fit me. I am now knitting another pair of socks with grey, brown, and blue for my husband's birthday in November. I am trying to add to my knitting skills.

    My daughter's garden has produced a zillion jalapeno peppers, but they are too hot for any of us to eat! The plan is now to make jalapeno jelly and serve it with cream cheese and crackers. We will probably give some as gifts, though it's hot, so I hope we're still friends! I just need to buy all the supplies. I haven't canned in years.

    Be blessed,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wash them and pop off the stem part and freeze them in a freezer bag....then when I need some bit for a recipe I take one out and cut frozen what I need this is wonderful I don't get burned by it's oils and yes I do love that pepper jelly on the cream cheese and crackers your friends will love it...good work on the socks and on your skill building

      Delete
  3. Another great blog post. Thank you.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...