Monday, October 28, 2019

Monday Message



"More than ever before, we need to learn and apply the principles of economic self-reliance. We do not know when the crisis involving sickness or unemployment may affect our own circumstances. We do know that the Lord has decreed global calamities for the future and has warned and forewarned us to be prepared." (President Ezra Taft Benson)  

I think some of the greatest lessons I have learned have been from going through hard times. I might have learned the same lessons otherwise but would have taken me longer.

One thing I can say for sure is no matter how you think life will go there are many many things that can muck up the works and most of them you never see coming.

I know as well that no matter what life deals you, those things do not define you. You are not less of a person because these things have happened to you. Sometimes things are good, sometimes they are really bad, and most of the time it is in between those two.

We can be in the lowest of income brackets and still be happy and still find joy.

I am reminded of a beginning piano piece..."Money can't by happiness..."

What matters is how we live our life. Be kind no matter your finances.

This week our library had its book sale. I picked up a book called Hard Times, it is an oral history of the Great Depression by Studs Terkel.



I have not read a lot but I can truly say that what I have read is awful. So I will continue to push getting in some storage and learning skills. Just from what I have read both would be helpful if we truly find ourselves in hard times and may they never be like those.

Of course, there were good people in the stories who helped so let us be good and helpful as well.

I also got a few cookbooks as I feel cooking from scratch is a very useful thing.

One book I got was a file folder with pages of family favorite recipes put together in 2000.

One recipe that grabbed my attention was...

Pineapple Minute Tapioca

1/2 c. Minute tapioca
1/2 c. Sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 quart hot water
Cook till thick over medium heat
Remove from heat and stir in 1 c. Crushed pineapple

They chilled and served with whip cream. I think it would be great served right from the heat. It says this was Edgar's favorite.

I love tapioca in all ways so I try to have it on hand.

I think this looks like a very frugal recipe.

So what are skills that would be helpful?

Cooking from scratch - I put this at the top of the list.
Sewing - learn how to sew if only to mend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg3jr0p3AEA&feature=em-uploademail  

I thought now with it getting colder we needed this reminder to put our car kit together.

It is time to put together your sick plan, have some easy to put together meals on hand.

What other skills do you want to add to my beginning list of skills??

Let's all share ideas!

10 comments:

  1. hmm....preparing a pantry, storage, emergency....all good topics. What you said in short is...don't be a victim. We all go through things, and yes they make our faith stronger, and us less victimized. Your bread looks so awesome. I have not baked bread in a while, we are getting a new oven soon. Have to break it in right :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have had our first snow with more coming tomorrow that means time for me to start reading the long winter by laura ingalls wilder again if everyone read that we would all have food stored

      Delete
  2. That tapioca recipe sounds good and I will try it so thank you very much for the idea. Also, I happen to be going through one of those tougher times/stressful right now so I really appreciate your words of wisdom. I will stay strong and do my best.
    Thank you. I really appreciate your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope the best for you i know they are not fun

      Delete
  3. My grandfather was the oldest of eight children. His dad died when he was in eighth grade and he left school and became the bread winner for his family. He had that responsibility through the depression and he was only a teen. He never got over that. No amount of stockpiled food was enough but I don't think there is any way that we could understand what he went through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they had such a hard time i think to myself i am glad i wasn't here at that time then in the same thought i bet they are saying the same of our time

      Delete
  4. And an answer to your question, learn some basic alternative medicine. Essential oils can treat those antibiotic resistant infections and just keep us much healthier for way less cost and fewer down days due to illness. 3000 to 5000 mg of D3 daily from Oct 1 through May keeps us well all winter. If we miss a day we can pick up an illness so we have to be vigilant to take it everyday. We have done this for several winters and have proven it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good to add to list i too take it every day but year round thanks

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your beautiful message. I really needed this. I am going through some life changing things in my life right now caused by abusive people. Your message meant the world to me. I will carry it in my heart.

    It is ironic I just told my husband a few minutes before I read your post that I am still the same person I just have those that choose evil instead of good. I would never let that define me, even though it is hard.

    I love your file folder find. Those are the best. Thank you for sharing. I can see why it would be Edgar's favorite. :) Don't you love when you find notes in recipes or books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is right don't let it define you i am sorry for the rough time hugs yes i do love notes in cookbooks

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...