Monday, November 11, 2019

Monday Message


"As we have been continuously counseled for more than 60 years, let us have some food set aside that would sustain us for a time in case of need. But let us not panic nor go to extremes. Let us be prudent in every respect. And, above all, my brothers and sisters, let us move forward with faith in the Living God and His Beloved Son." (President Gordon B. Hinckley) 

This is quite a statement, it sums it all up.

How many times have you said clean up your room to a child?  That is what I think of when I read that quote as we have been continuously counseled for more than sixty years. Fortunately, our girls both have very clean rooms and that didn't take sixty years :p

Seriously, everywhere we look it seems prosperity is everywhere. It's on TV, in magazines on computers, phones... everywhere we look everyone looks happy and everyone looks well off, like things will always be like this or better, right? 

But look again. Look closer at the flashy page in your magazine with a bowl of cereal in it. Why is it when you fix your bowl of the same cereal it doesn't look the same? Hmmm... Well to get theirs to look that good they can't put milk on it as it takes hours to get their pictures just right and milk would make a soggy mess. So they put glue on it as it looks like milk but that perfect look is not edible.

So next time you ask yourself, "why can't my house look as good as the one in the magazine?" Well they have an army of people setting up that room with the best things and we all don't have that plus no one lives really in that room.

It reminds me of when we were in student housing, which were tiny chicken coop type metal structures on a cement slab. I had a table shoved up against the wall with three chairs. Now I had a friend in another unit call me to say was my unit bigger than hers. I said nope. She said but you have three kitchen chairs around your table and she could only get two. I said for her to come over and when she got there I said there are three because the one chair touches the refrigerator. For every meal I had to move the table out...so things aren't always what they seem.

I once was at a talk where a lady was telling us of her visit to Russia and was invited to a Russian lady's house. The Russian lady was embarrassed and kept apologizing saying her house was not like those in America. The American lady said that the woman's house was very nice so why did she think that? Come to find out the Russian lady could see the show 90210 Beverly Hills show and she thought we all had homes like that. I never saw that show but I am guessing they were mansion type homes.

Things are not what they seem and we should never compare ourselves to others.

Same thing goes for the "everything will always be great" part, because I can say everything is not always great. We have worked for companies who down-sized without warning. We have gone from a good wage to doing the same amount of work for only our insurance and let me tell you I have had lots of learning how to get by and I feel it was all to help me now at this time and I can share with you so you will know what to do when your hard times come.



So when things get hard and you feel like giving up.....think of the blog and what things I have shared.



When your basket looks empty, find ideas here on the blog to put in your basket.



Fill your basket with knowledge and skills.



Don't be afraid.



Don't be lazy.



Work on being prepared. Little by little you will get there.



Learn skills that will help your family and know that every skill you build will add to what you already have and some day when things get tight you too will have learned what you need to know.



22 comments:

  1. Hi Becky,

    Thank you for all the pictures of your two sweet kitties! They are adorable! You really have built up your homemaking skills. It encourages me to get moving and not be lazy. I have been building up our food pantry thanks to your encouraging words.

    Take care,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words i am glad i am helping you

      Delete
  2. On a cold winter day it might be nice to be a cat! Your bread always looks so good!

    My husband worked in the computer business for all of his working years. He had his job outsourced or his project scrapped and he was no longer needed so many times. I really learned to be ready for those times of job loss. Now that he is retired we do not have these income losses and it is hard for me to even grasp but we still keep our pantry at the ready because you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!! I used to be a home health nurse and I have been in many homes. Most do not look like magazines. It’s sad the younger generation, especially, thinks theirs should look that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quilt what pattern is it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the quilts on the bed are from thrift store except one was gift from our daughter

      Delete
  5. This picture-post is a good reminder. Clever, yet true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, well, now whose beautiful cats might those be. I can't live in a house without cats. Such wonderful little creatures. Thanks for sharing. Makes my heart melt.

    Shell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are so cute the light gray is gus he found me and only wanted in as long as Missy came too he had buddies up with her and I wanted buddies they both were strays Missy was born under our porch she had a smart sibling who strayed down to the ice cream shop and everyone fed him and someone adopted him I am glad but he was resourceful I just had Missy who stayed she is every bit a princess

      Delete
  7. Hi Becky what name brand are the canisters that you use with your food saver to vacuum pack jars and how big are the canisters. Love your kitties I have 2 inside kitties and outside I feed all the stray kitties as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two that are tall enough to use the one dark one is a Mr Coffee it says on it and I have a seal a meal one and both work with the food savers I have the white jar toppers for wide and reg canning jars you don't need them tho as you can attach hose from sealer to canisters I judge by if they are tall enough for quart jars and canister lid fits probably easiest to find tall seal a meal canister tho some have told me they found the canisters at hunting fishing store can't think of the chain but easy to find on line now because of canisters I can vac seal in any jar like snickers jelly or spaghetti sauce just start collecting jars I have a friend save me her jars then I can save my canning jars for canning I use the white jar lid sealers for my two qt jars

      Delete
  8. Hi Becky, I just found your blog about a month ago and I have really been enjoying your posts. I am far behind in putting up foods and being prepared for hard times, your blog has inspired me to learn some new skills. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad you found me just start by getting two instead of one of what you normally get and yes skills just as important it is never too late welcome

      Delete
  9. I love your message. I love your babies. I always say no matter how tough times are if you have a furbaby to snuggle you have all the blessings of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree hands down they love u conditionally they don't care I am o er weight

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you I have pick them up from yard sales along the way

      Delete
  11. I collect them for power outages I decorate withe while not In use

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...