Monday, January 20, 2020

Monday Message


"Home storage should consist of a year’s supply of basic food, clothing, and, where possible, fuel. After this goal is reached, emergency and expanded storage is desirable.” (Barbara B. Smith)
 The counsel to have a year’s supply of basic food, clothing, and commodities was given fifty years ago and has been repeated many times since. Every father and mother are the family’s storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency … [and] God will sustain us through our trials." (James E. Faust)

Fifty years is a long time and stresses to my mind how very important home storage is.  

http://allaboutfoodstorage.com/wp-content/uploads/EVERYTHING-UNDER-THE-SUN-2010-word.pdf - very helpful.

https://preparednessadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/New-Ideas-for-Cooking-with-Basic-Food-Storage.pdf - recipes.

https://simplefamilypreparedness.com/lds-home-storage-centers-lds-canneries/ - here is home storage center info.

https://preparedness365.blogspot.com/2011/03/using-dried-apples.html - look at the apple and popcorn recipe, yum! Very good recipes.

https://backyardcityhomestead.com/2019/01/16/provident-living-and-self-reliance/ - good to read.

So I am covering a lot on food storage cause if you haven't started working on it I cannot think of one reason not to. I can think of a lot or reasons to do it.

https://theprudenthomemaker.com/cutting-expenses-when-you-think-you-have-nothing-left-to-cut/ - I love this gal.

https://theprudenthomemaker.com/strictly-pantry-menu/ - isn't her pantry wonderful? Search around on her site, she tells how she gets Christmas gifts. She gets used and makes them, a true inspiration.

Make a plan to set aside a little to get things like dehydrator, pressure canner, vacuum sealer, jars and canning equipment, sewing machine and equipment for that, even bread pans. What you need to do is haunt thrift stores but make a list of what you need and stick to the list, don't be tempted to get shiny things.

If you see sewing notions or crochet hooks, knitting needles, oil lamps, fabric, yarn, etc. allow to get these and other items that will help you in your goals.

Along this vein, I hope that your thrift stores are still thrifty. The one near me that I have gotten good deals from in the past is doing unfortunate things. They used to have all yarn be .99 but I noticed different prices lately. I picked one out that said 2.99, it was only a fifty gram ball. I asked the manager as she walked by if that was the correct price. She said yep. I explained they used to be all a flat price and that they were now all priced different prices. She took the yarn in my hand and then did something I was amazed to see. She scanned the QR code on the label handed it back to me and said it is correct. Well I tossed it back and said nope, I could go next door and buy new for that. She grabbed it out of the box and said she would check in the back. She came back with it .99 but it didn't help others who go and need to purchase used. 

Another day I asked the other manager about an item I didn't want if this was the right price because right next to it was the new price tag which was cheaper... I also noticed the workers were looking up the new price of brand names then marked them just a few dollars cheaper. I wrote to the up-the-chain people what I had recently seen before and mentioned that it seemed like a bad move if this was the new policy... We shall see... But I pointed out the yarn, stating that it took no time to toss it in a bin with a flat price but they were now paying people to look up prices new then individually pricing them. That did not seem like a good working formula. 

So things are changing...



Keep working on skill building. Knowing how to do things like knit and sew and crochet etc. stretches your funds.

Learn to mend and cook from scratch, these are huge dollar saving things you can easily do.

https://inhabitat.com/how-to-mend-and-repair-your-clothes/ 

https://www.thespruceeats.com/learn-how-to-cook-everything-from-scratch-1388352    

Have this year be the year that you learn how to do the skills on your list.



Gus says he is glad I can make baskets...



23 comments:

  1. Thrift store prices are outrageous now. I still buy some of my grandson's clothes there because it's still cheaper than retail. Can't wait for garage sales to start. Thank you for all you do. I've learned a lot from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLA BECKY: ¿COMO HAS ESTADO? ¿HACE FRIO EN DONDE TU VIVES? AQUI EN BUENOS AIRES, ESTAMOS SOPORTANDO MUCHO CALOR, HACE VARIOS DIAS QUE LA TEMPERATURA SE MANTIENE ARRIBA DE LOS 31 GRADOS CENTIGRADOS, ¡MUCHO CALOR¡ HOY LLEGO A 38 GRADOS, LA CALLE ES UN HORNO, NOS QUEDAMOS ADENTRO FRESCOS CON LOS VENTILADORES, NO CONSUMEN MUCHA ELECTRICIDAD, NO ES LO MISMO CON UN AIRE ACONDICIONADO, ESO SI QUE GASTA, NO ES PARA NOSOTROS. LAS LANAS E HILOS DE COSER QUE COMPRO POR AQUI, HAN SUBIDO MUCHO ULTIMAMENTE, Y ESO QUE AHORA ESTAMOS EN VERANO, NO ME QUIERO IMAGINAR CUANDO LLEGUE EL INVIERNO PARA PODER TEJER MUCHOS ABRIGOS PARA LA FAMILIA, ES UN DESASTRE TODO. CONFIEMOS EN EL SEÑOR QUE EL NOS DARA LO QUE NECESITAMOS. TE ENVIO UN SALUDO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello back we are very cold we have some snow had to put a charger on the car as it wouldn't start it doesn't like these negative temps

      Delete
  3. Agree with you about thrift stores. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did write them a letter and said not very Christian of them since that is their claim and play Christian music in the store people do not go out and buy name brand clothes and drop them off there you know they are a few yrs old they shouldn't be able to do such a thing I am not a name brand person but I think it is a bad thing

      Delete
  4. I find yard sales cheaper, in general

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true Becky thrift stores have changed their pricing ...but I find they always have sale tags that's when I go and buy...if I find something I want I wait and on the sale day I go and if I find that item I get it then if not it wasn't meant for me. Thank you for all the inspiration...Love Gaila in the NW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This store does have sales but they are careful not to put certain things included on that books are .99 and that is a flat rate for now I don't get to it often maybe once a month hope they change back not so much for me but for all the people who have to go there

      Delete
  6. That’s too bad that the thrift store is scanning UPC codes....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked to see her do it seems they will lose money because the workers will have to do each item they have never had a ball of yarn worth $2.99 not ever

      Delete
  7. I agree about thrift store prices. Several of my stores the employees stand there with their phones and look up the items for what they are going on Ebay and then price at the highest Ebay price. I have watched them do this several times. My mantra is if I want to pay Ebay Prices I will go to Ebay. :) A lot of times I do. There are several reputable charity thrift stores on Ebay that are cheaper than my physical thrift stores.

    Thank you for sharing Gus with us. I always love pictures of your furbabies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gus thinks he is a people and missy knows she is a princess she stepped on some melted snow and shook her back paws hard to believe she was a stray born on my porch.

      yes i agree with your mantra

      Delete
  8. I have noticed that prices re really rising at the thrift stores in our area too. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is all donated to them they price and put it out they do not repair just set them out it is sad cause things will get worse

      Delete
  9. Thrift store prices are through the roof here, too. I was somewhat amused last week to see items with Dollar Tree stickers marked $1.50. We do still have one store that we are near on occasion that has items for 25 and 50 cents and we enjoy shopping that store. We found a brand new college football jersey for our grandson for $10 that retails for $90 at that store. We were willing to pay that for him for Christmas since he had put it on his wish list for several years and the retail price was far beyond our budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job finding that this store would have scanned the new price and marked it two dollars less even if it was ragged

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with us. We have a tiny thrift shop in town that is run by the rescue mission. We donate our things there. Most items are $2 or less. I don't often find something I want, but it's worth the look. I once found a new wool coat for my son for $2 with original tags still on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love all that you do. i love love love the crochet scrubbies. will you do a step by step of how you make them. i have tried and i cant figure it out. Thanks, Liza

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems more people are shopping used stores to resell than to use themselves. I see the new phones being used to scan whole shelves of books quickly. They use programs that they just put the machine up to the titles and it instantly tells them what the books would sell on say e-bay. Then they decide if a particular book is worth buying to resell. They don't care the books contents only the price they can sell it for. At least they are making a living and not living off someone. :-) Also so many people come and are willing now to pay the higher prices cause they sued to shop at the malls and at the used stores it is so much cheaper..they think. Well since the stores are now being able to sell higher and higher prices items they keep doing it. Well our family has hoped at the same thrift store for almost 50 years now. through different owners naturally. Now what they used to have that they think was 'boutique items are no longer even put into the stores. They are sold through the store web site. We used to see older housewares and such, Not any any more. Now the Boutique is for any china or knick back that they think can demand a higher price. Jewelry in its cabinets are Very Expensive. And yes they get all of this free. I would hate to think of how much we would have not pay now to set up housekeeping even in these so called thrift stores ! We still find some bargains but fewer and fewer as the time goes on. Yes yarn $3.00, a tea towel from the dollar store for $3.00, men's shirts $4-$12.00, used shoes $5-$30.00..on and on. They look at the new price on the book jackets and mark it down a bit,,,when you can get them say 30% off new at many places every day of the year. Our Salvation Army is so full of clothes it is not funny. Can't use the clothes aside to look at them the rack are so full. ..yet do they give good sales to get rid of lots...not usually. Or they mark things so high that even if on a half off sale they are still too high to buy. :( They say they get given so much..then why not sell them at a reasonable cost so they will sell ??? Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I was just telling my mom several of my goals along this vein. My words for the year were Intentional & Create. The Lord sure picked the right ones for me! I'm making my list tonight & learning as much as I can this year!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...