Monday, September 14, 2020

Monday Message

“Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. We could refer to all the components of personal and family preparedness, not in relation to holocaust or disaster, but in cultivating a life-style that is on a day-to-day basis its own reward.” (President Spencer W. Kimball)

Making it a way of life helps with rotation as well as makes it easy to have what you need when you need it.  When you have your storage up it is just a matter of use, replace, and rotate.

I think that having some storage is a good idea with all that is going on. I don't know if you are feeling like there is no time to catch a breath between catastrophes but I do. Clean-up is still ongoing at our house. I am very tired of playing lumberjack. For an old lady who hates outdoor labor this year has been only that and no fun. I loved pick-up sticks as a girl but I hate this kind of pick-up sticks.

Sometimes hard times hit and we have to work harder at things and normal chores become harder to do because you are more tired. So take that into account. In your storage have some ingredients on hand that make easy fix meals. It seemed like we had so many things collide - it was hot, we had no electricity, and having to work on clean-up. It was compounded for sure. My heart goes out to those hit by hurricane Laura, they have no water and too much water added to that list.

You can imagine the clean-up has taken most of my time so being flexible is important, don't be upset with yourself for not being able to get things done.

I have been doing little things here and there...

I organized my knitting books (pictured at the top) and my sewing books. I did not do them all at one time, it actually took three different times because of the heat we have had and dragging branches for an hour wore me out the rest of the day.


I wasn't sure I would like organizing the books by color but I love it. One night I couldn't sleep as I hurt too much and didn't feel up to sewing so I organized the sewing books and really like how calming they are to my eyes now. Then I thought do I want to even tackle my knitting books? I liked how I could find my books easier this way so I had to do it with other books I have.

I decided it was harder for me to flip through the baggies to find the right sewing foot so I changed to doing it this way and it works much better for me.


This old bread box was perfect to house the boxes of feet and in the top are the feet and tools that came with machine and my magnetic pincushion which by the way is magnetically stuck to the box, I really like that it, makes it easier to use.


I ordered this book over a month ago before the derecho but it got caught in the mail slowdown and the derecho came and hard work was going on, it took a month to get it. The sad thing is I have had it for a week now and have not yet had time to look at it, mostly too wore out from dragging branches. All the feet in those boxes are in this book with details of how to use them, so I am looking forward to curling up with Missy and Gus and reading it....as you can see they have a head start.


With sadness, my mother-in-law passed away this last week from Covid-19. It is so very contagious, once it got into her facility 51 people got it over a very short time even though precautions were taken. She was my mentor, I learned so much from her. She was the best mother-in-law one could have. We will truly miss her.

I know I have heard so many say Covid is a hoax, I am here to say it is very real and very sad so we must try very hard to be safe.

39 comments:

  1. ERES MUY ORGANIZADA BECKY, ME GUSTA TU COLECCION, AMO TEJER Y COSER, AUNQUE NO SOY MUY BUENA EN LA COSTURA, SACO MIS MOLDES DE ALGUNA PRENDA QUE YA NO USO, ASI ME RESULTA MAS FACIL PARA HACER UNA PRENDA NUEVA. LAMENTO LA MUERTE DE TU SUEGRA Y POR TUS PALABRAS, LA QUERIAS MUCHO, YO TAMBIEN TUVE UNA MUY BUENA SUEGRA, LA QUISE MUCHO Y SE QUE ELLA A MI, SIEMPRE NOS LLEVAMOS BIEN, FALLECIO HACE MAS DE 20 AÑOS Y ERA JOVEN 65 AÑOS, LA EXTRAÑO MUCHO. ESPERO QUE PRONTO TE RECUPERES DE TUS DOLENCIAS, NO TE HAGAS PROBLEMAS, LO QUE NO PUEDAS HACER HOY, LO HARAS MAÑANA. AQUI EL VIRUS SIGUE MATANDO A MUCHA GENTE Y HAY MILES DE INFESTADOS, PERO YA A LA GENTE NO LE IMTERESA QUEDARSE EN SUS CASAS, SALE SIN PROTECCION, NO HACEN DISTANCIAMIENTO SOCIAL, ME MOLESTA MUCHO ESTO Y CANSA, LA POLICIA YA CASI NO LES DICE NADA, ¿ADONDE IREMOS A PARAR CON TODO ESTE DESASTRE? NO ME SIENTO BIEN, TENGO MALOS VECINOS, MOLESTAN Y DEJAN A SUS HIJOS MENORES DE EDAD, JUGANDO EN LA CALLE TODO EL DIA, ESTOY HARTA DE ESTA GENTE, NO SE HASTA CUANDO PODRE SOPORTAR ESTA SITUACION. ¿PUEDES ORAR POR MI? SIENTO QUE ESTOY LLEGANDO AL LIMITE DE MI PACIENCIA. BENDICIONES HERMANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pray for you yes the virus is still very bad here too yes disaster after disaster we just have to stay as safe as we can and continue to pray for all

      Delete
  2. Oh Becky, I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry about your mother-in-law. What a nice picture you shared with us. She looks like a lovely woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you she was a wonderful treasure this virus is such a nasty thing

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry about your mother-in-law. The virus is serious and is not a hoax. So many people are thoughtless and taking huge risks with the health of the most vulnerable. I really like how you organized your sewing feet. That is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you she will be missed. I used what I had on hand and it works perfectly I can see at a glance without flipping thru baggies I will keep it this way

      Delete
  5. Oh Becky, so sorry to hear about your mother in law I pray that the Lord will comfort you and your family. Her loving spirit will live on in your hearts. Many blessings and Love Gaila in the NW

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very very sorry about your loss! We recently lost my brother in law at only age 52. It was not from COVID, but his symptoms were similar so I think that slowed down the proper diagnosis. It is so hard on everyone these days, as we cannot even have a funeral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it is very hard couldn't be with her except phone face time but at least there was that

      Delete
  7. So so sorry to hear about your mother in law. It's very real that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you yes it is a real thing a sad thing for so many

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law. A good one is a real treasure. It seems that this year is just one thing after another until some days it is hard to even breathe. I have thought of you having to do all that heavy outside work so often. You might consider trying some Arnica montana. It is great for inflammation and is drug free. My 81 yr old Mom takes it at bedtime every night and sleeps so much better because she is not hurting all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will look into it. Yes so many things coming so fast it is hard for everyone I can't imagine how hard it must be with the fires we here in Iowa are getting smoke from them.

      Delete
  9. Becky,

    I'm so sorry for your loss. Covid is very real. Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will try to take care of myself gus and missy will head that up

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a brilliant idea for the sewing feet! I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....the boxes will work so much better then the baggies I had the boxes around the house

      Delete
  12. Dear Becky I am so sorry for your loss. Yours Heike

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry. My heart is shattered for your family. She was a beautiful lady. I wish people would stop saying it is a hoax to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes and is passes thru very fast thank you everyone be safe

      Delete
  14. Becky, So sorry for your loss, your Mother in law will truly be missed.
    You are an inspiration to many, thank you for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry to hear about your MIL. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes covid-19 is very real. We have lost people we know too. Please take care of yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missy and Gus are on top of taking care of us

      Delete
  17. I am so very sorry for your loss. Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My daughter had it and was very sick for 2 and a half weeks and it was extremely hard because I could not be there to help her through it

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother in law. ((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Becky,
    I am a long time reader but have never commented before. I just wanted to say firstly I am very sorry for the loss of your dear Mother in Law. Also I really appreciate your posts and have learnt a lot from you. I am a slow learner so appreciate being able to re read over things. I also love to see what Gus and Missy say or are up to. It makes me smile. We all have a lot of work ahead of us, it is a bit scary but we can do it - when you write for Gus and Missy it takes the edge off the scariness for me and I think - yep just keep on keeping on. Little by little. So thankyou Becky, Clare from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sorry about your mother in law. My daughter and 10 mo old grandson also have Covid. Fortunately they are both doing well at this but still positive. And I guess grandson sort of blows that theory that infants can't get this (something I've heard). I caution parents who must take small children into public to get them accustomed to wearing masks or avoid taking them out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...