Monday, October 19, 2020

Monday Message

"As we have been continuously counseled for more than 60 years, let us have some food set aside that would sustain us for a time in case of need. But let us not panic nor go to extremes. Let us be prudent in every respect. And, above all, my brothers and sisters, let us move forward with faith in the Living God and His Beloved Son." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

This makes me think of The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. The winter was very harsh. When all were getting worn out, Ma pulled out something she had set back for just when they needed it and made it stretch far giving her family a bit of protein. Plus they put up whatever food they could. This is what people did back then and they are our examples, we should follow that plan too.

As our weather is now getting that snap in the air it tells us winter is coming and reminds us that we need to button things up. I have picked all we had in the garden. We disconnected the hose from the house and are getting things ready for winter.

We have still been cleaning up after derecho. We rented a backhoe to help move the huge tree trunks to the burn pile and crush the pile to help with the burning which is what it needed today. We were finally able to burn the pile of trunks and branches.

Keep picking up extra when you get your groceries. I am feeling this virus will get worse before it gets better.

https://promedica2020.wpengine.com/media/Face-Mask-Sewing-Pattern-Surgical-Mask-Craft-Passion.pdf - this is the type of mask I made for us and plan to make us more. I like them because it is tight all the way around. I saw Walmart workers at a town to our west, they had little aprons on their faces and while cute the top was snug but the rest was open and flapping on the other three sides.

Think of what you would need to have, let's say for the next four months. Like flour and yeast and oil and sugar and salt then at least you can make bread.

I was watching a podcast from the southwest, she stocked up on toilet paper that was on sale and said there was plenty and no limit but here in the center of the USA we do pick-up orders from Walmart and there is a limit of one. So different areas are seeing different limits, we still see lots of limits on other things too so think how severe things were in shortage at the beginning nine months ago and take count of what you have on hand and make a list of what you need and do the best you can.

Gus says we have to be extra safe and not wearing a mask is very dangerous.

A reminder that dehydrating veggies that are frozen is so easy because all the work has already been done! You just have to open and dump on the tray and dry.

Canning supplies are in short supply right now so dehydrate and put dried food in any jar you have like a jar from spaghetti sauce or jars from jam and jellies. Our grandmothers and great grandmothers saved everything and used everything over and over and we can too.

http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2017/08/make-your-own-mix-in-jar-kits-prepare.html - I thought you would enjoy this.

I told you last year how I saved and dried tomato skins then blended them in the blender, basically free food.

https://www.thepurposefulpantry.com/ways-to-use-tomato-powder/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=is_it_too_late_ways_to_make_and_use_tomato_powder&utm_term=2020-09-30 - here you can find how to use tomato powder.

Missy says to be safe and to bide time and to rest as well.

Gus seconds Missy's comment and again reminds you all to be safe.

12 comments:

  1. We typically do an Aldi shop every ten to fourteen days right now. TP and tissues are limit one so one pkg of each goes in the cart for every trip. We have seen those apron type masks here, too and thought how crazy they were to be wearing them. Other illness is on the rise as well. Mom and my sister had viral pneumonia which one could easily think is Covid. Also many friends have just had the common cold. Masks will protect us from those too but keep washing the hands everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we need to keep our safety plans going things are going to get worse and yes keep getting in supplies as you can.

      Delete
  2. QUERIDA BECKY: TANTAS COSAS PODEMOS HACER CON TAN POCO¡¡¡ TUS IDEAS SON MUY BUENAS, ME AYUDAN A ELABORAR NUEVAS COMIDAS CON POCO DINERO, AQUI LOS ALIMENTOS ESTAN POR LAS NUBES, LOS PRECIOS SIGUEN AUMENTANDO TODAS LAS SEMANAS, YA NO SE SABE EN QUE VA A TERMINAR ESTA SITUACION, SE VIVE EN UN CAOS ECONOMICO, EL DINERO YA NO ALCANZA COMO ANTES, TRATAMOS DE HACER COMIDAS LO MAS CASERAS POSIBLE Y QUE SEAN HUMILDES PERO QUE ALIMENTEN, TENEMOS CARNE, POLLO EN EL CONGELADOR, FIDEOS, HARINAS, LENTEJAS, ECT ECT., LE PIDO A DIOS QUE ME DE SABIDURIA TODOS LOS DIAS PARA SEGUIR Y NO DECAER, TAMBIEN HAGO ROPA PARA MI Y MIS HIJOS, ME COMPRE 3 POLLERAS EN UNA TIENDA DE SEGUNDA MANO, LES HICE ALGUNOS ARREGLOS Y ME VESTI CON POCO DINERO, TAMBIEN COSI 2 PANTALONES PARA MI HIJO CON UN PAR DE TELAS QUE COMPRE, ESTABAN DE OFERTA DENTRO DE UNA GRAN CAJA DE RETAZOS, GRACIAS A DIOS QUE HE APRENDIDO A COSER, TEJER, COCINAR DESDE CHICA, HOY ES UNA GRAN VENTAJA SABER DE ESTAS MANUALIDADES ANTIGUAS QUE PARA MUCHAS MUJERES HOY EN DIA, NO SIRVEN O LA ENCUENTRAN ABURRIDAS. SI PASA POR MI BLOG, VERAS NUEVOS MENSAJES. TE ENVIO UN ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA Y DIOS LOS GUARDE Y LOS BENDIGA RICAMENTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes learning skills is very important I too have skills I learned over the years. I am glad you find the blog helpful keep doing what you can I say you are doing a great job.

      Delete
  3. BECKY: MI MENSAJE SE RECORTO, ERA MAS EXTENSO, ¿QUE HABRA PASADO? ¿HAS VISTO EN YOUTUBE EL CANAL DE PAW AND MAW ON THE SWING? ELLOS SON UN MATRIMONIO DE 51 AÑOS DE CASADOS, VIVEN EN UNA GRANJA Y HACEN MUCHAS COMIDAS ELABORADAS DESDE CERO, ENSEÑAN A HACER CONSERVAS, ENLATADOS, CURTIDOS Y MUCHAS COSAS MAS, VALE LA PENA VERLOS, SI NO LOS CONOCES, DEBERIAS VERLOS. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen that I shall have to look for it thank you for sharing

      Delete
  4. The Long Winter is my favorite of the LI books. It felt so cozy to me!

    I'm regretting my decision to not get a dehydrator during the summer. Finding celery and carrots lately has become a hunt. Those are soup staples in my house and I always keep them, freeze them, etc. Our two local markets have been completely out of both. I think it's probably the Cali wildfires that have affected either harvest or distribution or both. My husband works in the city and is going to stop somewhere on the way home. If he finds them, I'll be very busy washing, dicing, slicing and freezing them. I suspect that the Derecho is going to have the same effect on the corn harvest.

    The last time we went to Sam's, I bought small cases of both Campbell's chicken noodle and tomato soups. Like you, I like plenty on hand if one or both of us gets sick. It's such a simple meal and warms a sick body! When the two of us got pneumonia some years back, we lived off our freezer stash, scrambled eggs, Campbell's soup, & applesauce!

    Love Missy and Gus and their good messages. Tell them to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he was able to find some for you it was hard to find dehydrators anyway like freezers and canning goods. The cats are funny I want to get them doing the Halloween cat stretch but can't be fast enough

      Delete
  5. The Long Winter is probably my favorite book! I read a few times as a child, then many ties as an adult. I try to read it every year when we have a cold spell, and reading about what they went through makes me very grateful for what I have. I try to imagine if I have what it takes to make it through 7 months of isolation and little to no way of replenishing my pantry. I don't think I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have that same question so many are having hard times I am praying all the time for everyone. I do the same when we get the first real measurable snow fall
      I start reading it but must ration it to make it last

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...