Monday, September 13, 2021

Monday Message

"Included in the year’s supply of basic foods should be life-sustaining foods that store well for a long time: grains (wheat, rice, corn, or other of the cereal grains); dried milk, dried fish or protein vegetables such as beans and peas and other fresh, canned, dried, or pickled fruit or vegetables; sugar or a sugar substitute such as honey; some form of fats; salt; and water. Fresh taro or sweet potato, and live pigs, chickens, or fish might be considered as a supply in some areas of the world where it is difficult to store food. Remember that regular use of whole grains is important in building a digestive tolerance for roughage." (Barbara B. Smith)

I want to stress 72 hour kits with all that is going on. You see people don't get a lot of time to evacuate. Having one ready will help you be able to gather photos, scriptures, masks, meds, and other items. You wouldn’t have to try to think about what to put in it in the last minute as it would be ready.

This is very helpful on 72 hour kits - http://storethisnotthat.com/store-this-not-that-72-hour-kit-food/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVFKQj3iimw - this shows a pantry.

https://www.youtube.com/c/OutsmartDinner/videos - here are her videos, I love these gals and have both their books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhNeBYJLXKI&t=6s - helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9lAFTdJdF0 - great ideas.

I am wanting you to realize you can do great meals with food storage and have ideas on what to store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXJbrFvOksM My tip is when you cut biscuits DO NOT twist the biscuit cutter back and forth, just straight down and up, this will give you the layer tall biscuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wy6NgplFjE - best fudgy brownies!

https://www.erinliveswhole.com/oatmeal-blender-pancakes/ - this is oatmeal pancakes.

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/whole-wheat-blender-pancakes-my-new-favorite-breakfast/ - this is wheat pancakes, they are done in a blender and oh they are fantastic!

https://www.melskitchencafe.com/mels-kitchen-tip-buttermilk-substitutions/ - this shows how to do buttermilk.

http://preparednessnibblesandbits.blogspot.com/search/label/Dehydrated%20Apples%20Recipes - this is our favorite apple crisp made with my dehydrated apples. Look around the site, lots of good info.

http://everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-2.html - l think this is a very good food storage site. I keep her information in my food storage binder.

So you see this post is mostly on food storage and what to do with it. If you haven’t already, start putting together a binder with information on food storage and reserve an area for recipes in it as well.

Be getting in storage for your working pantries.

Let us know how you are doing on yours by leaving us a comment down below.

At the same time be working on your skills. A little here and there adds up.

This week I took a t-shirt I love and made a pattern from it. I turned it inside out on paper and then used a tracing wheel to go around the body of the shirt. This leaves little holes that I then use as a cutting line. After cutting, I fold the shirt sideways in half. I fix anything askew, making sure they are the same, then I cut in half and label one the back and write “cut one on fold.” 

The other piece needs to have the shirt on it again to trace the front neckline, then I cut it out and write “front” and “cut one on fold.” I draw that fold arrow on that edge you just cut on both pieces. Then I fold the sleeve in half and trace it again, labeling and drawing a fold arrow and “cut two on fold.” Those are the pieces in the picture. I haven't decided what neck treatments I want to do yet. The shirt has bias tape on it but first I just want to see how I come out once I have it. I want to make several shirts out of this, changing little things as far as the look - like different neckline ideas or adding a pocket, etc.

Lately, I've been working on the knitted elephant girl here. I just need to finish her arms and she will be done.


I am really learning a lot by doing these smaller things. One tip I’ll pass along - if you are stuck on directions, stop, mull it over in your mind about how you think it’s supposed to go and then do it. If it’s wrong, take it back out and try it different till you get it. Relax, don't stress. I am getting great at taking things out, which in itself is a great skill to learn. The more I do, the more I find shortcuts and streamlining which I can use in other projects in the future.

Missy says now is the time to be extra safe.

Gus says put extra in Missy's statement a few more times and wash your paws and don't eat off the floor.

7 comments:

  1. I sure enjoy seeing your cats and their wise sayings ;). Plus the small items you are making. I will check the links as well during this week. Thank you so much for the time and effort you spend to share this information! I agree it is critical to be prepared, I have a list of things I am doing to improve our situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment kitties say thank you too

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Becky!
    That little elephant is too cute for words!!

    My mom was a great fan of altering tshirts. She loved going to concerts in the 80s and always bought a shirt. However, she hated the necklines and said they were strangling. So, she'd cut them in a shape that worked with the logo and add a collar or crochet an edge. Sometimes she'd add lace to the sleeves or bottom as well. They always looked so pretty when she was done. Much more feminine. Tina Turner was her favorite and my mom was THRILLED when she made such a successful comeback!

    My husband got some very unusual OT several weeks ago and just got the check for it. We did a great stock up over the weekend. Summer was a little lean so it feels good to be out of storage room, even if it is just stuff like tuna!! I'm so tired of the heat and looking forward to soup meals again. They're simple and delicious.

    I also restocked our medical pantry, replacing the expired drugs, if necessary. Added some cold remedies.
    Saw we were low on bandages so I got more. Theres nothing worse than getting a cold and not being prepared. After a horrible bout of the flu in 1990, never again! I was ill prepared and miserable. I was single, as well.

    Anyway, thanks for your tips. Give Gus and Missy a chin scratch for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do love your chin scratches ...i am glad you got stocked back up harder times are coming. i can't wait for cool weather like today comes and stays we have a hot week end coming yuk Thanks for your comments

      Delete
  3. HERMOSOS TRABAJOS BECKY, ERES MUY TALENTOSA. CUIDATE MUCHO Y BENDICIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I think you are the talented one. We continue to stay safe numbers here have shot really high this last week. Hoping this is our last hot day then fall Temps maybe some rain tomorrow this drought has been tough,

      Delete
  4. Hey, I just found your blog! I'm located in Central Utah, and we've been really working hard on building up our food storage and putting together 72-hour kits over the past several months after we moved here. It's a bit tricky because my husband has celiac and so I have to get non-wheat options for him, but we're chipping away at it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...