Monday, December 6, 2021

Monday Message

"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

I feel like I did when the pandemic was still in China as our country is now closing some borders to slow the spread of a new variant, Omicron. I knew it was coming when it was still in China. So I assessed what we would be needing. I now have that same feeling.

What did we learn? Can we do better this time? It sounds way worse than Delta. How can we adapt? How can we be encouraging to others?

Remember what items were hard to get in stores in the beginning of Covid. Do you have these items on hand now?

Gus say be sure to have lots of good things to eat on hand.

It would be good to stock up before the snow flies.

Missy says she is trying to build her mouse catching skills. Are you working on skills too?

Take time to go through what you have on hand. Is there anything that needs beefing up?

I always think of The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder and how they had such a long time of that winter and limited food stores. In that story, they had friends who moved out to a claim too and a lady brought over popcorn and since there wasn't any there yet it was a nice treat. The lady said her husband did not think they could take the big bag of popcorn as their wagon was full, she took it and sat on it all the way. So, do you need popcorn? If not, you might want some on your shelf for family movies or game nights.

I wonder, is there a young girl or boy out there that will write about our times?

I think one should definitely have ingredients to make cookies, especially chocolate chip.

https://www.favecrafts.com/Christmas-Crafts/352-Homemade-Christmas-Decor-Ideas-Gifts-and-More - lots of ideas here, just scroll down.

Remember hygge! Have candles and blankets and hot cocoa, just cozy things about.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, it is crunch time for Christmas. Remember to not stress. Take time to rest and enjoy everything you do. Stress is not healthy for our bodies.

https://www.frompenniestoplenty.com/blog/frugal-fun-christmas-activities - keep in mind we are in a pandemic and adapt accordingly.

https://thehappyhousie.porch.com/20-elegantly-adorable-ways-to-fill-clear-ornaments/ - I think it's best now a days to use the plastic clear ornaments, that way there's no breakage.

https://www.pinterest.com/rangerjeanette/gifts-ideas-for-shut-ins/ - great ideas for those who have to stay home to stay safe.

https://www.graceforsingleparents.com/12-days-christmas-gifts-ideas/ - this can be for anyone, scroll down to the ideas. One time we did this for a husband and wife. We did not say who we were till the end. We had so much fun thinking up the gifts, like pineapple rings for the golden rings and Dove soap for the doves (this was before Dove chocolate). We had fun as a family sneaking it to the door and hide so as not to be seen...it was great fun!

https://livingwellmom.com/25-diy-advent-calendar-ideas/ - here are some great ideas. I watch some knitting podcasts where they have a different yarn and treat and stitch markers in little bags. One does a bag of fun little treats for her husband for each day. She has the yarn ones and they buy like a Harry Potter one for one son, a Lego one for the other, so they each open that day after supper. In another one, her and her husband get little treats, same idea but are in little socks hung across a wall.

https://thecraftyblogstalker.com/25-diy-christmas-advent-calendar/ - more ideas.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/270356783854080445/ - some more ideas, the main point is be creative and find inexpensive ways, being frugal doesn't mean awful.

Gus and Missy say have happy holidays and keep being safe, they love you all!

6 comments:

  1. I love all the links that you continue to share. Thank you for those and for always sharing Gus and Missy's thought too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you gus and missy have lots more to say

      Delete
  2. Sending love back to Gus & Missy!
    I also knew when Covid was in China that it would be in our area in a couple of months. I prepared too. I am ready for the Omicron surge, hopefully it won't be bad. I had my booster on Black Friday of all days, lol and at WalMart too.
    I love popcorn & I have two popcorn maker's in my home. I had a professional oil popper & an air popper. I would have sat on the popcorn, lol. I love that story. I live close to Laura Ingall's museum. I am a just ten minutes away from her church/schoolhouse. I have her whole collection of books. I love to visit her grave & museum.
    Have lots of baking mixes & cookie mixes. DH & I just stocked up on those as fun treat's even though we had some. It's nice to have a variety.
    Lot's of candles (LED), blankets & cocoa, hot tea & cozy things. I just stocked up on more LED candles & batteries.
    Hoping your holiday season is peaceful & full of wonderful memories. Sorry, I have not said hi. DH's job closed due to not having any staff. He worked there for 25 years so it was heartbreaking and stressful. His boss and my DH transitioned over to a new company, taking their old company with them. All of this is making us plan a big move too across country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear about the job that is a long move I hope all goes well. I am glad you are prepared for this next one. We are boosted too but still not taking chances our public health is not giving us case numbers like they did ...they should be as the positive cases for last seven days is 12,254 that is the highest yet so that really makes sense to stop I have no idea what they are thinking. But someone on news said while we are watching omicron we are forgetting delta is killing so many and still out there.

      Gus and Missy say thank you they love you too

      Delete
  3. HOLA BECKY: ESTUVE MIRANDO TUS ENLACES PARA HACER REGALOS, TODOS APORTAN BUENAS IDEAS, HAY MUCHO PARA HACER. TAMBIEN ESTOY PREPARANDO REGALOS PARA MI FAMILIA EXTENDIDA, MUCHO TEJIDO Y MANUALIDADES UTILES, RECICLANDO FRASCOS, TEJIENDO GUANTES SIN DEDOS Y AGARRADERAS AL CROCHET, TENGO QUE SEGUIR TRABAJANDO EN LOS OBSEQUIOS QUE DARE EN EL AÑO NUEVO. ¿CUANDO PASAS POR MI BLOG? TE ESTARE ESPERANDO. BENDICIONES AMIGA A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People sure have great ideas I am glad people share. I love the things you have made you do very good work I am glad you share your pictures with us all. You guys keep being safe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...