Monday, January 17, 2022

Monday Message

"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

I think we all see how long it takes to get supplies to people needing them. In emergencies, depending on the devastation, roads may be impassable. We want to be able to help others at this time so having a food storage helps not only ourselves but others as well.

https://www.littlehouseliving.com/how-to-prepare-for-difficult-times.html - I love this gal and this post is very helpful.

https://www.favequilts.com/Beginner-Basics/Back-to-Basics-Quilting-Tips-for-Beginners - this is helpful if you are wanting to learn this skill.

https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Knitting-Tutorials/Knitting-Class - this was a great find this week, it has a course you can click on in the post.

https://www.allfreesewing.com/Basics-and-Tutorials/Beginner-Sewing-Videos-Learn-to-Sew-Tutorials - here is one on sewing.

https://www.allfreecrochet.com/Scarves/Classic-Infinity-Scarf - this one on crocheting.

https://thesurvivalmom.com/cold-weather-survival-survive-in-a-stranded-car/ - I think we all saw that clogged interstate on the news. This is always something I think about a lot in the winter.

I have always thought having skills is a great thing.

I am writing this post the day after my birthday. Traditionally, I love to go to the used bookstore, it's something I always look forward to. But times being what they are and this not safe for us to do, I needed to think what else would I like to do?

So I decided to dye for my b-day. I had everything on hand. For years I have collected things I would need to dye fiber.

When we insulated the garage a few years ago I had to use this mask, when we were done doing the insulation I put it in my basket of things for dyeing.

When you use dyes in their powdered form you have to wear a mask.

Once the dye is mixed I could take the mask off. I wear rubber gloves as well.

I braided up some wool fleece and soaked them for about an hour.

I laid out plastic wrap, it is here that I will mention everything I use was collected to be dedicated to be used for only dyeing not for use in food ever. Like the pans, the jars, the canner, a scale, the salad spinner, the stir spoons - I keep all these just for dyeing only.

This pan was one method I used for dyeing.

This is the other method I used.

When I was done dyeing they then have to thoroughly dry. Here is what they look like...



When dry, I make these braids and when I am ready, I will spin them into yarn.



This was what I did on my birthday and you got to see what fun it was! Even my furry supervisors approved! So even though we have traditions that we need to change because of Covid, it is okay, we still can have fun and fun was had for sure.

Gus says still be very very careful!  It is not time to let your guard down.

Missy says that staying safe sometimes means staying in.

13 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY, GOD BLESS YOU. ME GUSTA TU NUEVO MENSAJE, ES MUY UTIL, SI BIEN NO VIVIMOS ALEJADOS DE LA CIUDAD, ESTAMOS CERCA DE TODO, NO PODEMOS DEJAR DE PENSAR QUE ''ALGO'' PUEDE OCURRIR, LA SEMANA PASADA TUVIMOS QUE SOPORTAR HASTA 45 GRACOS CENTIGRADOS DE CALOR, BUENOS AIRES FUE UN HORNO IMPRESIONANTE, NUNCA ANTES HABIA ESTAS TEMPERATURAS TAN CALIENTES, EL CLIMA ESTA CAMBIANDO, HUBO MUCHOS CORTES DE LUZ, GRACIAS A DIOS QUE NO EN NUESTRA AREA, NO TUVIMOS ESE PROBLEMA, (TENIA VARIOS PAQUETES DE VELA POR LAS DUDAS) SI HUBO ESCASES DE AGUA CORRIENTE, TUVIMOS QUE ALMACENAR OTRO TANQUE POR LAS DUDAS, YA QUE HABIA BAJA PRESION DEL SUMINISTRO, PUDIMOS SALIR AIROSOS DEL TERRIBLE CALOR. NUESTROS INVIERNOS SON BENIGNOS, NO NIEVA NUNCA AQUI, PERO SI HAY DIAS MUY FRIOS, SIEMPRE TEJO ROPA ABRIGADA Y CUANDO SALIMOS LLEVO MANTAS EN EL VEHICULO POR SI LLEGAMOS TARDE A CASA. QUE HERMOSOS COLORES LOS DE TUS HILOS, ESPERO VER PRONTO LO QUE VAS A HACER CON ELLOS. PUBLIQUE FOTOS DE MI CUMPLEAÑOS DE LA SEMANA PASADA, CUANDO QUIERAS PASA POR MI BLOG. ESOS BLOGS QUE RECOMENDASTES SON MUY UTILES, ME ENCANTARON Y NOS RECUERDAN QUE NO TENEMOS QUE DAR TODO POR SENTADO, NUNCA SABEMOS CUANDO PUEDE PASAR ALGO Y NOS LLEVE AL LIMITE DE NUESTRAS CAPACIDADES Y NO SEPAMOS QUE HACER, ESTAR PREVENIDO, SIN SER ALARMISTAS. EL COVID HIZO UNA GRAN EXPLOSION AQUI, MI ESPOSO Y YO TUVIMOS SINTOMAS LEVES, GRACIAS A DIOS, ESTAMOS BIEN, POCAS MOLESTIAS, PERO CASI NI SALIMOS, ES TERRIBLE TODO LO QUE ESTA PASANDO EN EL MUNDO. CUIDATE MUCHO, SALUDOS DESDE BUENOS AIRES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are almost birthday buddies your cake is beautiful bet it tasted good. We got ten inches of snow do you want me to send you some? Tee hee

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Your colors are beautiful! I can't wait to see what you make from these.

    We are snowed in. We got ten inches in 24 hours which is more than we have ever had in that amount of time in 27 years here and in the South we just wait for it to melt off and pretty much stay home. Many have said online that they need groceries! I am surprised that they did not even plan for a few days! We will have more snow in three days and will not likely be able to get out of our neighborhood before then but we have a well stocked pantry and will be fine for a good while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got the ten inches too brrrrr we have colder weather on the way I am glad you are stocked up stay warm

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! Your dyed wool is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!!! Good call on choosing a different birthday activity! Your kitties seem quite pleased with your choice, and that's going to be seriously beautiful yarn. :) Hopefully soon things will calm down enough for a trip to the used book store (also one of my favorite outings!).

    Doing everything we can to stay safe here. I don't mind being home at all, no matter the weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind staying home either I love it in fact fun everywhere I turn thank you on the bday wishes too

      Delete
  5. Belated happy birthday wishes. Have you ever tried dyeing with Kool-Aid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done some before with it it gives more lighter thank you on the bday wishes

      Delete
  6. Your yarn is beautiful !!! love all the colors. Thanks for the beginner knitting site, I printed some of it. I might get brave and tackle something other than dish cloths and dish towels. Although I do love them and need to make more. Perhaps I will try knitting a hat. Thanks for all you teach us. love, liza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing more calming then knitting a dishcloth. Thank you

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...