Monday, June 5, 2023

Monday Message


"Today, I emphasize a most basic principle: home production and storage. Have you ever paused to realize what would happen to your community or nation if transportation were paralyzed or if we had a war or depression? How would you and your neighbors obtain food? How long would the corner grocery store—or supermarket—sustain the needs of the community?" (President Ezra Taft Benson)

I think we know now that this can happen any time. Today I heard Germany was in a recession, they said they were the fourth largest economy.

It is a good thing to do whatever we can to be in a prepared state for anything that may hit, unemployment is always a possibility. It seems like a lot more of that at this time so we need to find ways to be more frugal and put those ways into practice.

Here in the center of the US it is gardening time, so put out some seeds.

https://www.littlehouseliving.com/homemade-wheat-crackers.html - did you ever make crackers? They are easier than you might think and tastier too!

https://www.mommyskitchen.net/2023/05/soft-homemade-breadsticks.html?lctg=35869764 - bread sticks. I like how she bags them to freeze for future meals. These remind me of those we used to get at Pizza Hut.

https://savorandsavvy.com/family-emergency-binder/ - these are free, would be great to have in a binder for a fast grab when you need it.

It is the simple things we tend to put off, promising that we will get to it down the road.

Do things feel like they are upside down and out of control? (Tippy says yes) Sometimes I feel like I can't control anything so at those times I think of something I can organize or clean, which I seem to do a lot.

This week I found a small cart I put in kitchen.

It works much better and I took that other cart and moved it upstairs.

I organized my watercolor supplies in it which meant I took the cart from there and moved it to the sewing room.

Then I organized sewing notions and fabric in it.

So a bad case of musical carts. This helped me to be better organized for just a bit over three dollars. With the cart with sides it was harder to get what I needed in the kitchen. The now kitchen cart I had the cloth baskets already so I can just slide out to get the needed things. The other cart now holds the watercolor supplies better than the cart I moved into sewing room and now I can easily get to needed things.

The whole thing was something I could control when the world is crazy upside down.

An extra benefit was that I found fabrics I want to make two project bags with in my stash.

While I was at it, I tidied my desk up.

The garden is doing well, however, we have not had rain and our overnight temps are under fifty degrees, it still is going and so am I.

So look for ways that are frugal this week.

Missy says you all are doing great, keep working on your storage and skills.

Tippy (toes) says if you find yourself stressing because the world feels upside down and you can't do anything to help...find a corner that needs sorting out and work on it.

6 comments:

  1. love the carts....great idea glad it helps you out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad I ran across the two white ones at thrift stores on different visits the other I got yrs ago at a yard sale so now they are all doing great for me

      Delete
  2. HI BECKY: ¿ALEMANIA EN RESECION? WOW Y WOW, ¿TE IMAGINAS? DIOS NOS AYUDE, NUESTRA INFLACION MENSUAL ES DE 8% Y MAS, NO HAY BOLSILLO QUE AGUANTE, MI PAIS ES UNA BOMBA DE TIEMPO LITERAL, POLITICOS CORRUPTOS QUE SOLO PIENSAN EN LLENARSE LOS BOLSILLOS A COSTA DE LOS HUMILDES TRABAJADORES, EL DINERO ESCASEA Y MUCHO CREEME, NO HAY DINERO QUE ALCANCE, NO HAY DINERO PARA COMPRAR, SOLO PODEMOS COMER Y NADA MAS, AGRADECEMOS A DIOS QUE EL ES NUESTRO SUSTENTO, TENIENDO AL SEÑOR, LO TENEMOS TODO. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is good you have the skills that you do and help your family so much you are a great example

      Delete
  3. The carts are a great idea, and also the tip of organizing something when we get stressed!
    Tippy looks like a laid-back kitty, and Missy is pretty wonderful too. Thank you for your suggestions! Cheryl H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it helps me a lot to reorganize something finding a better way of doing things tippy long stocking is a very gentle furry Missy is lucky cause she is always saying in her hissy way she is in charge they are both good I let them know it too

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...