Monday, July 10, 2023

Monday Message

"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors, and support bishops as they care for others." (All is Safely Gathered In pamphlet)

Keep working at putting a few things ahead in your storage. Keep building your skills. Everything we can do now when we don't have to rely on your skills will help you when you do need to.

Even if you never have the emergency that would require the skill, the more we can do for ourselves the more it will help with our budget.  

If we have things we can do, the money we would not be spending could be used on other bills. But mostly we wouldn't need to scrimp elsewhere to pull money together to pay for what we could do ourselves. That is a lengthy way to say - the more skills we can teach ourselves, the better things will be for our families.

I have a plan to take everything out of my sewing area and start fresh in a better way, using what I have. I am sewing myself a dress and it has been very tight working in there. I just have to add the sleeves and that is when I plan to do this so very soon as the dress is almost done. I have been working on it this week trying to build my sewing skill better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT5yo0JhKyQ - this gal has some great ideas on how to save on fabrics. She has made fantastic dresses out of vintage sheets. If you watch her other videos she makes two coats out of blankets and she walks you through how to do many things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e97prqsnzxQ&t=197s - this is the same gal, she is going to show you how to knit a sweater from start to finish.

These are a few things to help you build on skills you already have, like I am with my sewing or skills you can start.

How I teach myself...

I find books on what I want to learn. If you cannot find books thrifting, go to your library. I even have gotten very good sewing books from library book sales. Do not rule out the internet, there's so many things you now can learn on there.

I gather information. For example - watercolor is something I want to learn. At library book sales I picked up a few books years ago, then we had our anniversary trip to the used bookstore where I picked up another. Over the years I have gathered what I would need. Then I have been watching YouTube to find what people I like who teach free and study them. Several take you step by step like a tutorial. This will be a new skill for me.

I also have bobbin lace that I am trying to learn past just making bookmarks. So again I gathered used books and gathered supplies. My sister for my b-day one year gave me bobbins. In this picture I have just loaded the bobbins with thread I had. I will be studying the pattern. My sister, knowing I am wanting to learn it more, sent this video of what I want to make - https://pieceworkmagazine.com/never-enough-lace/ Scroll down you can see her working the bobbins.

So you can see my process. This is the method that has helped me a lot more than classes plus, I don't have the cost of the class, scheduling, driving, and I can go at my own pace.

A story about me when I was about four and my sister was two. We lived in Wyoming. Times were different back then. On this day we were going for a walk out in the vast prairie. I am pretty sure we were told to stay by the fence line, probably so whoever was keeping an eye on us could easily see us. Well off we went, after awhile we came to a wooden box just laying open on its side. Now I know there was packing stuff in the box but back then I did not know. Inside there were very pretty dishes with flowers on them. We plaid with those dishes for hours. This is a happy memory for me. Over the years I would see a platter or plates with flowers on them and I think of that day so I have just a small collection of flower dishes.

I like to decorate with them, they make me happy.

Missy, who is setting by the colored pencil books from a library book sale from many years ago, says never stop learning!! 

Tippy Longstockings says learn and then teach others, like teach your kids about budgeting and storage and how to make bread. There's so much to learn!

6 comments:

  1. FELIZ LUNES BECKY: HACE 5 AÑOS ME REGALARON UNA MAQUINA DE TEJER, YA TE LO HABIA COMENTADO, PERO HASTA AHORA NO LA HE TOCADO NI USADO, NO SE COMO SE HACE, HE VISTO ALGUNOS TUTORIALES POR YOUTUBE PERO NO LOS ENTIENDO, TENGO QUE DECIDIRME Y APRENDER DE UNA VEZ POR TODAS, NUNCA SE ES DEMASIADO GRANDE O ES DEMASIADO TARDE PARA APRENDER ALGO NUEVO. BENDICIONES Y QUE TENGAS UNA HERMOSA SEMANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be learning right with you it is one of my goals to learn my knitting machine more I took a few lessons long ago so I have some notes but I plan to look over the manual like a textbook and taking it step by step. When we get them figured out we will be making lots of things I need to get back to making up baby booties ahead for gift giving. I have made several pair but have forgotten....so it is a goal the videos are helpful if you can get in your language if you need me to watch one and help let me know I can't remember the name of your knitting machine mine is a toyota

      Delete
  2. GRACIAS BECKY, TE MANTENDRE AL CORRIENTE DE ESTO, TENGO QUE REVISAR LA MAQUINA Y SABER SI ESTAN TODAS LAS PIEZAS, YA QUE LA HEREDE DE MI TIA Y LA HIJA DE ELLA ME LA DIO CON TODO LO QUE ENCONTRO, ESPERO QUE ESTE COMPLETA. GRACIAS ERES TAN AMABLE. DIOS TE BENDIGA¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look in the manual but with machines they have sponge bars oft times we cannot replace but they can be rebuilt http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2023/03/monday-message_20.html look in this post four pictures down these are sponge bars I rebuilt for mine this bar is found under the needles follow to the end of the bed and you will see it I have to use plyers to pull it out yours will be squashed flat you can see it it will bounce back but usually they don't that long. If you look at mine I scrapped off all the old stuff all the rubbery bits everything then I got insulation that goes around the door take a piece of your old one to get the right size as they are different sizes mine are sticky when you pull the backing off you can stick it or glue if you wish in the bar then I glue a ribbon on top this prevents the needles from chewing it up. This will be your first step once you set it up. We will learn them.

      Delete
  3. As always, your messages are gently encouraging. There are so many things we can learn on our own, with books or YouTube these days and never have to pay for a single lesson because so many are so willing to teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I can learn for free on the computer I struggled with tatting for years and years but when I saw someone do it on the computer I really learned and continue to learn. I can not afford classes so have had to rely on what ever I could and yes people are so good to teach us things.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...