Monday, March 25, 2024

Monday Message

"Those families will be fortunate who, in the last days, have an adequate supply of food because of their foresight and ability to produce their own." (Ezra Taft Benson)

We need to keep working on getting storage and supplies.

When I was young and could go to yard sales to get needed items, I would make a list. Canning jars were always on the list as well as other things we needed...popcorn popper, soap, blender, food processor, and toaster, canners, dehydrator.

...Christmas gifts that I could clean up and fix up and have nice gifts for our girls and others, sewing supplies and fabric, knitting supplies yarn, and crochet supplies.

...School clothes and snow suits and winter coats, church clothes. Books on teaching sewing and knitting and crochet. Cookbooks, school supplies. Sheets, things that would beautify our house. Whatever I felt we needed.... And now I'm still using these things and I am sixty-eight.

Having not the money we had back then, these things are serving us very well now, because I can dry and can foods, sew my clothes and make gifts.

I worked very hard back then to take care of us now.

Thinking ahead and having a list when you go to thrift stores and yard sales helps you stay on task.

I think how much it costs to eat out. That amount of money could buy many meals for your storage.

When I would have five dollars free to spend, I might want something but I ask myself what would I had wished I had spent it on instead if we had no money?

Also, you have no idea how bad I hate gardening - utterly hate it, but I do it so we will have food to eat in our pantry. So you may stretch what is in your pantry by growing food too. You can put tomatoes in your flower beds, green beans too, things that can stretch your pantry items.

With the way things are you might like to go through your recipes and pull the cheapest ones your family likes. Get those for groceries but take the difference and use it to put in storage. I try to do this when I can.

If you get taxes back, use part to build up your storage.

Any windfalls you get, do the same.

Would it be fun to spend on fun things? Yes, but it would be better to be able to care for your family.

That said, I stocked what we needed plus nonfood items as well, but I too stocked items like when I would see basket supplies or fabric and sewing supplies and yarn and supplies.

At yard sales I would get those as well.

I accepted things that were offered to me, which this sewing machine was and still works.

Now you might be saying, but then you have to store this stuff. The answer to that is yes, hence I shift things about to make it organized. At today's prices I could not buy one cone of yarn.

So to me it was worth hanging onto things I knew I would need.

Not everyone has my interests but think what yours are. I would add my interests to the lists as well and when I saw something at a yard sale, I would buy it. Back then things were a quarter or even free box items.

I even got this serger at a yard sale though I paid ten dollars for it. As I did not know if it worked and they could not tell me, only that it was their mom's machine. I took a risk the motor worked but it wasn't threaded and I did not have four cones of thread with me as I was yard sailing. As it turned out, it works terrific! I am glad I purchased it. Was yard sailing lots of work? Yes, it was. For every one that was good there were four that weren't. But oh how blessed to have gotten what I did then.

I am grateful for things people have given me when they downsized and places like freecycle. There was a class at church one time about decorating your homes inexpensively and that was where I first heard of freecycle. The fabric in the picture was freecycle. I needed fabric and she needed to get rid of it and we helped each other. Then I was able to get this knitting machine at a yard sale...

I am still learning it, and many things, but I did take a few classes on this which helps.

That knitting machine has to have thin machine yarn. One day I was at the class and my teacher asked if I could take her to this auction house. They wanted her to purchase some used machines. So I took her. They had several but what caught my eye was cones and cones of this yarn. They got a fiber studio of stuff. They only wanted the furniture but they said all or none, so I offered to purchase all the yarn and fifty-two knitting books for a hundred dollars, which they said yes. So I ended up with a pick-up load of yarn and books and she did buy one of the machines.

These are my stories on how I have been frugal. Tell us some of your stories in the comments below.

Missy says all those knitting needles behind her came from yard sales too. She wants you to know though that she was free but her cuteness is priceless! :p

Tippy Longstockings says find joy and contentment in all you do.



8 comments:

  1. Becky, you are such a fine example of thrift and frugal homemaking to all of us. I am amazed at all you do and how you are so organized. I have used many of your recipes and other ideas over the years. Bless you as you plant your garden this year. I love gardening. Thank you ....Dee in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I missed answering your comment thank you so much for your kind words I have planted the seeds in pots they are growing

      Delete
  2. This is a very good post! I would not have had the money to purchase all the cones & books, but I can see what a good bargain that was for you. I have never seen a knitting machine at a yard sale but have seen several sewing machines through the years. I did buy a pkg holder of crochet hooks last year at a church sale. It had about 8 or 10 in it, and had a snap close cover like a Bible cover. They charged me . 50 for it. I have not used it yet but am keeping it like your kitty is your knitting needles!

    I like a little gardening early on, but not once the high heat & humidity get here. I have planted some lettuce and onion sets so far, in old tires we had scrapped over. They get hot in the summer but make good planting beds. I have lots of other seeds to start. It is hit or miss with me on seeds. Direct sown seems to work so much better but raised up in containers works better due to animals eating on the plants. I like to stack the tires up in layers. Lots of drainage holes help to, to release some of the excessive heat.
    My husband cut an edge on 3 peach pits, a small root has come out on two of them. We are hopeful they will continue to grow after he pots them up.
    Ann Austin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. If it were now I couldn't have gotten them but way back when I did it was a fluke we had it but it all worked out. I do hope your peaches grow it was so good to have them this last year. One cone of yarn and one of the machine knitting books had price on them and they were more than the whole batch of cone yarn and the fifty two books it really was a huge blessing. I am hoping to get my pots filled with dirt today perhaps plant seeds in them tomorrow that will give them time to grow before I have to plant them around may 15.

      Delete
  3. You are so awesome. I love all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing your adventures Becky...think we all try to save in some way to help with the situations that are unexpected and what is going go now in this world. scary at times but as we save and pray that things will change and this is just another turn in the adventure...the cats are so cute am sure good company for you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I never even dreamed all the things that have been happening. I am glad I did things back when as it has really helped out now. Glad I never minded getting used things that has helped a lot. We just have to hang on I say. Those cats are fun company.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...