Thursday, March 5, 2015

Julekaga


Julekaga sounds like...yoo-ley-key-yeh

In pail of bread machine add:

1 tsp salt
2 tbsp shortening
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/4 c. water
3 c. all purpose flour
3 tsp vital wheat gluten (if you use bread flour omit this)
1/2 tsp cardamon ground
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/2 c. citron fruit, you can sub craisins or raisins
1/4 c chopped almonds

Put on dough cycle

I let it go beyond beeps till it looks like this picture:

Then shape in loaf and put in sprayed pan or you can free form if you wish. Spray dough and cover with plastic wrap, then let rise. 


It took only twenty minutes to rise after that to the height you see above so I always start preheating the oven when I start the rising in pan.

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

I put a cooling rack on top of tinfoil so I can ice it right out of the oven.


Icing:

2 c. powder sugar
1 tbsp softened butter
half tsp almond extract
hot tap water, start with tbsp and add till you get a frosting

Ice while hot and add chopped almonds on the icing right away before the icing sets.

Then I move the loaf to a regular cooling rack that I have on my cutting board. If you leave it over the tinfoil the bread will sog up on the bottom.

I made this using the white bread recipe I gave you a while back and created another variation.


It smelled so good even Missy wanted to give it a try! She gave it two paws up!!


I will continue to make many things from this white bread recipe and will do a whole Monday Message on it coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. The Julekaga looks delicious! What a high rise on that loaf--I've never achieved such a beautiful rise on any of my loaves.
    Missy is so cute. We have a kitty just like her--kind of a Maine Coon/Russian Blue cross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sue the bread does get high i think it is my pan lots of pans are wide but my pans are the narrower kind very old but if you put more dough in the wide it will get high as well. missy and gus were strays we took in and missy thinks she now is a princess laying on a king size bed she likes living the indoor life gus is like a kid he is a hugger

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...