Monday, September 26, 2016

Monday Message

Using fabric from my stash I was able to make another dress.

"The best place to have some food set aside is within our homes...
"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week's food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. . . . I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all.
"Begin in a small way, . . . and gradually build toward a reasonable objective." Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley, Oct 2002 and quoted again in April 2007)

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2016/09/cheap-easy-oatmeal-make-week/ - for those cold mornings

http://melissaknorris.com/can-pears-spiced-pear-canning-recipe/ - it is canning season

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2016/09/quick-easy-way-fill-pantry-for-survival/ - keep working on your storage

http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/2016/09/farm-girl-friday-farm-girl-vintage.html - get out your sewing machines, this would be a great skill and give warmth when you are done.

The frugal thing I did this week was that I made the dress at the top of this post using the template of the other dress I made. I am just like you, still in the learning more about sewing and putting my learning to work. They used to make dresses from grain bags. So this was fabric from my stash, buttons were from my button box.

I also needed to make another batch of SOS mix
http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_Cooking&Baking_2011-02pr.pdf - it is a canned soup replacer, with the price of those soups this is the fraction of the cost.

I have what I call "using jars" and needed to fill several so that is good. I made bread and rolls as well.

With fall trying to start pumpkin muffins are a favorite of ours. I mix all the dry ingredients the night before.

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins - Becky Shook 

I mix and set aside the topping: 
1/3 cup flour 
3 Tbsp brown sugar 
2 Tbsp cold butter 

In bowl, mix well: 
1/4 cup soft butter 
1/2 cup sugar 
1/4 cup brown sugar 
2/3 cup pumpkin 
1/2 cup milk (I add tsp of vinegar to it) 
2 eggs 
1 Tbsp molasses 

Then, don’t stir again until all dry ingredients are measured in. 
2 cups flour 
1 tsp dried orange peel 
2 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp baking soda 
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
1/4 tsp salt 

Then, stir well and fill 12 regular muffin cups. I use liners, but it's not necessary. 

By spoon, divide topping over all evenly. Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Delicious!

I have been working on Christmas gifts which are taking time over money.

I have been reading books on weaving to teach myself.

This past week I made peach jam from our own peaches - 25 jars, yum!






What frugal things did you do this week? Email and let me know bshook@huxcomm.net

I note that hamburger is on sale and saving up to get some by end of sale, so shop your sale ads.

Skills I have been working on is: 

          -Weaving by reading
          -Working on tatting by making gifts
          -Sewing making some gifts
          -Cooking from scratch
          -canning

I bet you are working on skills without thinking about it.

What skills did you work on this week? Email me let me know - bshook@huxcomm.net

Shopping for free on www.freereadfeed.com - they have free books on a daily basis cookbooks, foodstorage books, sewing and knitting books and my favorite cozy mysteries.

I even find kids books that I have sent to my daughter, Laura, and some writing books I send to my writer daughter, Sarah.

Watch your flyers and stock as you can. Even on my limited grocery budget I got 25 pounds of flour and a can of shortening. The shortening I put the year on it and flour goes in a five gallon bucket. I put in the two bay leaves and label it with the year and wrote flour. Then it gets put into the rotation

So here is a glimpse into my life this week.

Do what you can build those skills and grow your storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...