Monday, March 27, 2017

Monday Message


"Many more people could ride out the storm-tossed waves in their economic lives if they had their year’s supply of food and clothing and were debt-free. Today we find that many have followed this counsel in reverse: they have at least a year’s supply of debt and are food-free" (Thomas S. Monson, "That Noble Gift—Love at Home," Church News, 12 May 2001, 7).

If you read this statement, and read it thoughtfully, it is sad. So if we are in the second half of this quote, we need to work hard to be in the first part. To do this we must work together at it. It will mean a lifestyle change.

Well a person might say well how are we to get food storage if the money is going on debt?

I have the answer - work to pay the smallest debt off then use that money with all the money you put on the next highest debt and keep going up and that helps pay off debt. Then you still have groceries you get every month. Use the grocery money wisely. Cook from scratch - this saves lots. And shop the flyers and good deals at the store. This should save enough to get a few extra items like extra jar of peanut butter and some packages of jello, things like that.

Now you will probably say you need all your grocery money but I will give you what I have been doing. I pick an area that we are short or an item that lasts long is very frugal. So this last time I got groceries (I get groceries by the month, I get $85 a month and I really need to make the pennies squeal as I stretch them), I decided to have my one storage thing be a 25lb bag of rice. It was almost nine dollars so we are eating some favorite meals but they just happen to all be frugal so I could do this one item for storage. 

I was gifted a Sam’s card so I only get things that I deem are an item we can get. Last time it was yeast, several bags for the freezer. The time before that was two cans of shortening. I think you see how this can be done. It is very hard to have only that amount for groceries but I will tell you paying tithing always makes the money go further.

I wanted to talk about money strains on marriage. Tight times are hard for everyone, kids too but they adapt. Mom and dad you must remember a loss of income is not your spouse's fault so do not play the blame game, don’t keep shortcomings on a grocery list, and never hit each other it is not okay.  Instead, work together. Build a plan of attack together on how to tackle the problem and don’t mope about it. I promise that will make you feel bad and your spouse will feel worse...no one wins.

Remember, you walk this life together so together work the plan. Don’t dismiss ideas till you’ve heard them. We always tease it takes both of us to be one person. What one doesn’t think of, the other one does...

No matter how poor you are (and I know poor) there are always things to laugh together about. Love to be with each other. This life is short, you don’t want to spend it fighting.

Life has setbacks. It happens to everyone. Sooner or later it can tear apart a marriage or it can draw you closer together. Be the together family. Build each other up constantly. We grew up when the tv shows at the time was to tear down your spouse. I always hated those cutting remarks even though they were meant to be funny. I never felt a real marriage should have place for those.

Laugh together, live together, and love together. Let the kids see mom and dad kiss. Our daughter was playing next door when the mom and dad kissed and kids made some comment like eeeewwww and they asked our daughter, don’t your parents kiss? She said all the time.

Back to storage... I can’t always get a big item as my one storage item so then I get peanut butter.

Because I have storage I will say part of my list goes to replacing like flour, for instance. Remember to date and label, then rotate or I will tell you will waste food.

Write me any questions you have. I would be happy to answer  www.bshook@huxcomm.net I will get the answer if I don’t know it.

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2017/03/diy-dollar-store-first-aid-kit-buckets/ - I thought this was a good idea too.

Did you know if you take a green onion - I keep two in a jelly jar with enough water - you will have an ever green onion greens?

I also keep sour dough going all the time in the refrigerator.

There are many ideas you could do to save in the kitchen.

http://tipnut.com/frugal-kitchen/ - many here.

http://momitforward.com/frugal-living-in-the-kitchen/ - some here too.

http://www.frugalmom.net/blog/category/in-the-kitchen/ - there are several pages worth reading.

None of us are too old to learn.

Make your own mixes for convenience.

4 comments:

  1. I did not know that about the green onion but will pick some up today to try that! Love your posts and the quote in the beginning is truly something to ponder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is very handy to have them on hand for salads baked potatoes just anything

      Delete
  2. I love the quote you used! I love that we can have some perspective on what we should be doing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you written any posts on the topic of using less water? Our water rates keep going up up up. I need to store water and also find ways to use less. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...