Monday, June 19, 2017

Monday Message


"Acquire and store a reserve of food and supplies that will sustain life. ... As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year's supply of necessities.  I would guess that the years of plenty have almost universally caused us to set aside this counsel.  I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over.  With events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness."  L. Tom Perry, "If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear," Ensign, Nov. 1995.

"In words of revelation the Lord has said, "Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing" (D&C 109:8).  Our people for three-quarters of a century have been counseled and encouraged to make such preparations as will assure survival should a calamity come.  We can set aside some water, basic food, medicine, and clothing to keep us warm.  We ought to have a little money laid aside in case of a rainy day." Gordon B. Hinckley

"Brethren, I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment... I do not predict any impending disaster ... yet prudence should govern our lives ... We can begin with a one week food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. I am speaking now of food to cover basic needs. ... I fear that so many feel that a long-term supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all.  Begin in a small way... gradually build toward a reasonable objective." Gordon B. Hinckley, Priesthood Session, October 2002.

We lived in New Hampshire for about a year. Originally we are from Iowa and I wasn't used to how long the lines were to check out at the grocery store. It was awful. One time, on a hot holiday, I ran into the store for a container of ice cream but the shortest line put me at the back wall of the store. I put the ice cream back as it would have melted. When we came home to visit, I would go to the store to get cocoa wheats and confetti angel food cake but because I was first in line every time I bought ten all separated.

One day, I was grumbling to myself over lack of choice and waiting in line having these thoughts when a lady got in line behind me. She said don’t you love all the variety? I said you have to be kidding. She explained she lived further north in Maine. To her there was so many choices, to me I found that I was very limited.

I bring this up as I am now starting to see less choices on our shelves, starting slowly if you are not paying attention, just like toilet paper has gotten shorter a while back. I went to get pie filling at the dollar store. I try to replace what I use. Things change and we don’t notice. My guess is it now will take three cans maybe four to make a pie. You try to notice. In my food storage you can see the difference between these cans. Cherry pie filling that I had gotten into my food storage four weeks ago is 21 ounces, the newer one is 15 ounces.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im07eAmvWgc - short term food storage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJawKxY3ipA - long term food storage

Click HERE for the recipe!
Your food storage can be very versatile. Above is a picture of the regular bread I make into many things. That loaf is raisin swirl bread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpzDBVN8W5Q&feature=em-uploademail food storage

http://preparedldsfamily.blogspot.com/ storage help

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2017/06/50-things-everyone-know/ - 50 things everyone should know how to do.


I like to store angel food cake mixes. I add a little powdered drink mix when mixing, shown above was the strawberry flavor.

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2017/06/how-much-water-should-you-store-for-your-family/ - water storage

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2017/06/garden-skills-need-learn-teach/ - garden

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2017/06/25-things-you-need-to-learn-how-to-sew/ - sewing


Gather sewing how-to books to help you build your skills. I get them used.



Pick what skills you are wanting to learn, using coupons and freecycle to gather supplies.

Work on learning your skills and work at gathering your storage and learning about how to use it.

When you walk in the store, ask yourself what can you get for your storage. It might be one jar of peanut butter but it will add up quickly.

Do the best you can.

4 comments:

  1. I have absolutely noticed that packages are getting smaller. Even the size of the toilet paper sheet!! I guess we will have to tweak our old recipes that call for 'one can' of something. I enjoy your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky,
    I don't normally comment but wanted you to know that I read your blog ever week, love the links and really enjoy your writing. Thank you....even if you don't see a comment, you have a grateful reader ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your kind words i am glad you like the blog

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...