Monday, October 16, 2017

Monday Message


"Store a provision of food which will last for at least a year wherever it is legally permissible to do so. The Church has not told you what foods should be stored. This decision is left up to individual members. . .From the standpoint of food production, storage, handling, and the Lord’s counsel, wheat should have high priority. ‘There is more salvation and security in wheat,’ said Orson Hyde years ago, ‘than in all the political schemes of the world’ (in Journal of Discourses, 2:207). Water, of course, is essential. Other basics could include honey or sugar, legumes, milk products or substitutes, and salt or its equivalent.” (President Ezra Taft Benson)

We are blessed by the wisdom of those who have gone before us, who show by example things that would be helpful.

When storing wheat you need to remember a wheat grinder. Get a corn and grain hand grinder if that is all you can do at first. We were given one to us. It looks like this -http://thewholetruth.org/Res_Corona.asp I bet there are used ones out there.

I love how it cracks wheat and is good in case of no power. Then as you can get an additional one. We were blessed to have been gifted one from my sister. This makes it easier as I have fibromyalgia.  This is the one I have - https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=pvhoOcqs&id=32CCCE4C72D6D2D3F41B1B630BFEE1B1A6E3CE18&thid=OIP.pvhoOcqsyP9zr5TE4-dOQgEsEs&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.topgrainmills.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2016%2f02%2fwondermill-grain-mill.jpg&exph=1000&expw=1000&q=grain+mills&simid=608006313937666273&selectedIndex=53&ajaxhist=0



And also don’t forget to store the wheat. I love love love white wheat. I get my wheat here - https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-order-form?lang=eng

I have also seen wheat at Walmart that is fantastic as well. It is on the shelf with the large bags of flour.

I store my wheat in food grade plastic five gallon buckets. I go to bakery places and get the buckets for free or a small fee. I wash them well and dry well, then I air dry overnight just to be sure. I load into the bucket then I place two bay leaves on top, close the bucket and then label and date it. I then store in the basement and here is what I want you to know - DO NOT store any food storage directly on the concrete. I put a piece of wood between the floor and buckets and other storage.



http://www.mormonshare.com/lds-clipart/crazy-huge-list-of-food-storage-recipes - this is a treasure trove of food storage recipes.

Robert D. Hales passed away and I wanted to add my favorite story he told, it’s message is so important…

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2010-03-06-becoming-provident-providers?lang=eng&_r=1

Use your storage, rotating and using and replacing is the best way to have storage.

If children are not used to eating the things you have stored they won’t eat it!! So best to put wheat in your pancakes and breads.  That sort of thing.







Don’t do a "some day" storage do a huge pantry storage you use and replace and keep rotated.

Skills - how are you doing on them?





It is time to get out knitting and spinning and settle in.

https://www.nationalsewingcircle.com/video/sewing-buttons-quickly-and-easily-009028/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=A6199&vsoid=A6199 - this a great button video.

Feels finally like fall and I am trying to learn more on making socks. Here are the two I recently finished. I am now knitting their mates and I am enjoying learning as I go.





Keep working on your storage and skills. It is not too early to be working on Christmas gifts, also be sure to plan for those soon to come snow days.

Gus and Missy say hi and to keep doing the best you can! 





6 comments:

  1. Hello Gus and Missy! Your socks look so pretty. It must be so gratifying to be able to make your own socks! Your bread pics always look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those kitties say hi back the breads are so yummy. I have been working so hard trying to perfect the socks and yes they are warm good to have in central Iowa.

      Delete
  2. I too have fibromyalgia and have found that I am needing to find more things to help me out in the kitchen since I love to bake and cook from scratch. I want to make sure that I can continue to feed my family healthy and frugal meals. Since there are days when I can't use our manual can opener very well, we have decided to go ahead and get a electric can opener. I will still keep my manual one on hand though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good job we need to find very helpful ways to help us with fibro it is so nasty. For those who don't have fibromyalgia every thing we do hurts us and uses our very limited energy this is why even tho i can do bread totally by hand with the same results i use a bread machine to do the hard part (kneading) when ready i shape rise and bake this is why i also make up the bread kits in jars as some days it is all i can do to dump my mix and water in the machine yes it is wise of you to use the elec one and still hang on to the manual one you are a good example

      Delete
  3. Your bread is gorgeous. Mine never turns out that well. Sigh. I keep trying. I love knitting socks, they are soooooo comfortable. Yours look very nice. I spin on an Ashford castle wheel. It's a good skill to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you if you search the blog the recipe is on there i make mixes by putting the dry ingred in jars and i use the bread machine to do the kneading and rising then i shape rise and bake, my friend uses bread flour mine turns out the same as i make my own one tsp vital wheat gluten to one cup all purpose flour or wheat flour. I once was told if i planned to make bread from my wheat that i needed to store vital wheat gluten and i have.

      i love spinning. I am now working up the mates to these socks it is one of the skills i am aggressively improving.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...