Monday, March 12, 2018

Monday Message


"We want you to be ready with your personal storehouses filled with at least a year’s supply. You don’t argue why it cannot be done; you just plan to organize and get it done" (Spencer W. Kimball, August 1976)

The Time to Disregard This Counsel Is Over

"As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year’s supply of necessities. . . . I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over. With the events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness. . . . Create a plan if you don't already have one, or update your present plan . . . We are not in a situation that requires panic buying, but we do need to be careful in purchasing and rotating the storage that we're putting away." (L. Tom Perry, in Conference Report, Oct. 1995, 47; or Ensign, Nov. 1995, 36)

It is time to take stock of where you are on your storage and skill building. Some skills are fast to learn, others take a lifetime but keep working on them!

I continue to work on dishcloths to replace mine. I have started on my box of gifts for next Christmas.

My fibromyalgia is in a huge flare right now and makes me slower but I keep pressing on.

I have been blessed over the years to go to yard sales and thrift shops. I have stored items that we would need for a huge savings because I was willing to purchase used. It took time and work to go to sales but you have to know you are doing it for your family.

What have I gotten to help us?

Oil lamps - it seems you can always find them. Once I got them I did not stop there. I got oil and wicks for the lamps, not all at same sale but I new I would need to look for them and we have been blessed with them many times. Like in the scriptures, I keep my lamps with oil in them. They are at the ready. So go the extra effort to be prepared.



Bread pans - I have gotten my pans from yard sales and thrift stores. There is no way I could afford to get them if I could find them now. Most were ten cents each. At thrift stores I have also found French bread pans, pans to make burger buns, a pan to make sandwich bread, pans that are twice as long, pans for roll making, a pan that slides as long as you want, and pans down to tiny. I also found a bread machine as well.



http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2015/03/monday-message_16.html

Cake pans of every type from angel food down to tiny cheese cake pans and everything between.

Mixing bowls, stainless steel bowls, bread bowls.





Crepe maker, waffle irons, even one that makes panini sandwiches and one that turns into a griddle.

Knitting needles and crochet hooks, yarn, knitting machine, sewing machines, fabrics and sewing notions, electric blanket king size for ten cents that we have used for years.

Cookbooks - my favorite bread cookbook was $35 for new, I got it at a yard sale for five cents.



Food savers, canner, steamer canner, jars....

I could go on and on but I wanted you to know that getting things used is just a great tool for being frugal and is a huge budget saver.

I have shown you my bread but there are so many more out there. I thought you might like some different ways you can make bread that being said I want to remind you: one cup of all purpose flour and one tsp of vital wheat gluten makes bread flour!

Also, I selected YouTube videos that take more fiddling to those that take very little. The variations will have you doing great breads at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw07XXTzIxE - bread, just another version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m08i8oXpFB0 - how to make baguettes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ZvlKQmm6M - ciabatta bread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVwrTAJtSNk - no knead rolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlp1RkJeQCE - ciabatta rolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-A17hYeZ8w - sandwich rolls using little pans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HndA2UZmTIk - baguettes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUoA-F3sdvw - pretzel bites

I feel that knowing how to make bread and storing the items to make it is a huge boost to skills and storage. Continue to work on both!

13 comments:

  1. Please, curious to hear the name of your favorite bread cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads by Bernard Clayton, jr i got it at a yard sale it had a sticker on it that said five cents so i asked for sure thinking maybe it wasn't right sticker or i was reading it wrong but nope it was five cents it wasn't till yrs later i saw it in the book store with that price of thirty five dollars

      Delete
  2. So did you have a french bread fiasco like I did a few posts ago? I saw a lady in K-mart looking at bundt cake pans. I could tell she was questioning whether it was worth the price. I told her to go to the first thrift shop she could find and take her pick. Same goes for angel food pans. No one cooks anymore. It is scandalous, but great for me and you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i never had a problem finding bread pans i went to a white elephant thing and some picked a pkg that was a french bread pan everyone said what is it? i was able to say what it was and it was stolen as the white elephant rules and the lady who got it will use it so yes always check thrift stores first otherwise king author would have bread pans tho would cost more

      Delete
  3. I rarely see bread pans, but I'm curious as to what makes a good bread pan? Do you prefer one type over another? I've been thinking of buying a glass one... do you ever use glass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my fav pan is the one that is in the top right i haven't ever used glass. there are very wide pans those i don't use for bread you can but hard to get the height i like so if you are given a choice the narrower pan is best if you have glass give it a try

      Delete
    2. Great tip on the narrower pan. I'll remember that!

      Delete
  4. I am just starting up bread again. I use a sour dogh starter and Im trying to get it to be gluten free. Not sure if it will work. I had a lot of oain and going wheat free made a big difference. In the shops anything gf is so expensive. Bread making is so useful. Bread is a good gift too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi funny you mention that not this coming monday but the one after i will be talking on sour dough and giving two you tube channels i can share them with you google 7d farms you tube sour dough she talks gf as well so you could try that search too and alderman farm you tube sour dough she is gf and talks on that too i have my sour dough ready to mix tonight i am hoping to take pics i am doing the quick start from alderman farm

      Delete
  5. Oh Becky, I so love making bread for my tribe. Yesterday I tried the Artisan No Knead bread and have baked it this morning, very heavy bread. We are having monsoonal rains here for the last week and I guess the moisture and coolness will not aid the bread in rising if I do a knead bread.
    home made so much friendlier on our digestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Acquiring rustic decoration doesn't mean that you must sacrifice a lot of your modern sensibilities. You'll not have to be concerned about poorly cooked eggs. It can hold a huge chicken. Browse this site to know more about electronics.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...