Monday, March 19, 2018

Monday Message


"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

Being frugal is hugely helpful so learn all you can on how to be frugal. It will take effort to read and learn different ways but in the end the skill will be yours. For sure, living on less is a skill worth developing no matter where you are on the income scale.

Some great books to read are….

Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn - she put out three then did a compiled one.

Make-A-Mix Cookery by Aliason, Harward, and Weston - they had two then put out a third kind of compilation.

Bakers Flower by Kate Manning - this is one mix and a whole cookbook using the mix.

These are a few you could try to get through your libraries.

Some helpful sites…

http://theprudenthomemaker.com/blog?view=entry&id=18774 - she has a great site for being frugal.

http://www.miserlymoms.com/default.htm - she also has books Miserly Moms and Miserly Meals are the two I have but are the old versions. I love her granola recipe best and she makes granola bars with this granola too.

https://stretcher.com/stories/970310e.cfm I find their site a bit harder to maneuver so I put this on the saving on your groceries one.

https://www.livingonadime.com/ I love watching their videos…you see the blueberry pancakes. This one you get a baking mix recipe.  Just had those this week - wonderful! The pocket sandwiches were made from this mix too. They have books too - Dining on a Dime. Then they have frugal ebooks too. They are generous to show and post recipes from their book…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwS0sz7_Ag&feature=youtu.be - great to get food storage at great prices. We use when we can. Our closest is two and a half hours away but I love the powdered milk and potato pearls best but I love all the products I have tried. Love the white wheat and the instant refried beans. Just really good prices for stocking up.

I am sharing these with you as I have found them helpful in my frugal living, not as an ad. See if you can get through your libraries to be more frugal.

If you have frugal books that you like share titles with us all.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2016/03/frugal-kitchen-remodel_2.html - here I show making curtains from a shower curtain. Those are the red ones, the blue ones before were made out of napkins.





https://www.hometalk.com/10113567/5-curtains? Frugal idea. I have done curtains before from sheets and now I use sheets in rugs.



There are ways anyone can be frugal no matter who they are.

One way I was frugal was craftsy had a free weekend you could take classes from them for free on that weekend. One of the classes I took was a hat and mitten class.




This is how far I have gotten. I learned two color cast on and corrugated ribbing. It will have matching mittens. There are caribou waiting to be put on to the hat next.

So look around for things you can learn that will be frugal. Besides this class, I learned spinning techniques, how to dye, how to make baguettes and learned many things. I think they do this a couple times a year.




Gus kitty recommends books that will help you to be frugal. Some of these books I have had before we had a computer in our home. But that being said I feel you should have a library at home made with the old-fashioned way…paper. Yep, hard copies as well as digital. Same with your recipes - hard copies. I am not demeaning the digital age but I like hard copy back-ups…and I love books.

There are always ways to frugalize what we do. Yes, I just made up that word ;)

We should squelch the temptation to just buy all the time. It might take longer but its well worth the journey to learn new skills. Stretch a penny till it screams for mercy :p

Do the best you can! And let us know what frugal things you are up to. We all learn from others.

6 comments:

  1. I had all the tightwad gazette books and read them over and over again. I finally passed them along on one of our recent moves. I wish we could peek into Amy's life now, but she seems to have fallen off the earth, or at least knows how to hide herself pretty well. I did see an interview with her kids who were reflecting back on their childhood and their parents ultra frugal ways. Amy was frugal before frugal was cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope her life is good i enjoy her books her croutons are fantastic as you can see my books are well used

      Delete
  2. I had been looking for a copy of the Tightwad Gazette for a while. My husband ended up finding it at work on the free pile. He wrapped it up in newspaper and gave it to me . So much better then flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a wonderful gift he gets a gold star for sure yes way better then flowers thanks for sharing

      Delete
  3. I loved the tightwad gazette books but found very little I didn't already do. I love the different color knitting. I just wish had the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying the color work have used this project to learn three techniques so far the two color cast on, the corrugated ribbing, and a different way to catch floats still more to learn on it and yes hard to find the time for sure.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...