Monday, June 4, 2018

Monday Message


"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

Building your personalized storage assures that you get what you want and what you are used to eating.

Don’t forget to stock up on first-aid items, toilet paper and feminine products, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. Even toothbrushes, hair brushes, look inside your bathroom and write out a list of everything you use.

I like to store ingredients like spices. For example: chili powder can be for soups like chili and veggie chili or can be seasoning in goulash or in making fajita seasoning or taco seasoning.

So I like storing ingredients that make many things.

Cooking from scratch saves us so much money.

http://tipnut.com/baking-mixes-seasonings/ - this is one of my favorite sites

If you store the ingredients, you can make sweetened condensed milk or taco seasoning without running to the store.

I had one can left of enchilada sauce with a plan to make my own sauce after that. But on this one morning I was making enchiladas, I opened the can and turned and the lid caught my shirt and fell on the floor. What a mess!! But I quickly used this recipe…https://www.livingonadime.com/enchilada-sauce/ 

I was worried it might be too different but when cooked, I taste tested the sauce and it was perfect! It was just like the one that I spilled. I will never buy it from a store again! But remember I was in the middle of making enchiladas, I would have had to run to the store but because I store ingredients along with my food storage it saved the day.

https://iambaker.net/homemade-yellow-cake-mix/ - making your own mixes helps to stretch time and money…scroll down in the link for other items, even funfetti cake!

https://iambaker.net/chocolate-mug-cake-1-minute/ - okay, if you don't take any other recipe away from this you need this one!! It is our favorite! We like making three... one chocolate, one cherry chip or strawberry, and last but not least, our favorite which is lemon.  Heat is here, in the mid nineties, and this is a great one minute in microwave dessert that would be good to teach your kids or make for family night, everyone picks their toppings.

http://sugarbananas.com/homemade-nesquik this is a lot cheaper than its counterpart and goes right along with what I was saying about ingredient storage. The baking cocoa in my storage could make this or cake or brownies or hot cocoa mix, so store ingredients too!

How are you coming on your skills??

Come with me to the sewing room…





I found this clapper at a yard sale a year ago for a quarter. I saw an ad online for people to come in and buy one and the price was $49.99. Well I saved a lot. The pincushion I made with embroidery floss and crocheting a granny square. See how good it is to build those skills?

It is time to make some dresses for myself so here is my dress in progress...



I have been looking for a top pattern that I would want but haven't found anything even close yet. I want short sleeves and gathered at a high waist but it looks like I will build my sewing skills to make my own pattern.

Keep building your storage and your skills.

10 comments:

  1. I like homemade enchilada sauce better! I have never heard of a clapper- had to go on YouTube to see what it was! What a great tool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I got it at the yard sale I knew it was for sewing but did not know it either

      Delete
  2. My gardens are all in. I even made a small strawberry patch. I have been cleaning out my kitchen pantry. Everything got a good cleaning. I started working on my stockpile. I have a box of expired or about to expire food that we will use up quickly. I am moving all of the shelves and cleaning everything. It will take a while to complete but will look so nice when it is done. Then I will take inventory so I know exactly what we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few things go bad on the expiration date they are finding things last way longer now I set a time like fifteen min a day on real huge tasks every little bit adds up

      Delete
  3. I bought several patterns on sale during the early Spring, wanting to make myself a couple of summer dresses to wear around the house. I haven't done it yet, but your post has reminded me to get on it. I'm off to look up the clapper to see what it's for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is surprising how the styles cycle back around I hadn't heard of the clapper either at that yrd sale I just knew it was a sewing item funny now I see them on all the sewing shows

      Delete
  4. I have a heart-shaped pin cushion almost identical to those in your picture. It belonged to my grandmother and is at least 65 years old. I had never seen another one.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I found so many I wasn't looking the first I got it for a pattern at a yard sale for a quarter the rest just got here or there for free now it is a collection I guess wow on knowing how old they might be people make wonderful things

      Delete
  5. Wow! Your Kenmore is the exact same one as mine. I think I got it in the late 1970's. One of these days I'll have to oil it up and see if it still works as good as it did! I still have my grandmother's treadle Singer. I remember being in grade school when she started teaching me how to sew on it. I'm pushing 70 this year, so that was a year or two ago LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Kenmore I keep it cleaned and oiled I think they made things way better back then all metal I got mine used when my youngest was about a yr old that was thirty four yrs ago and then it was ten yrs old well it is good to know how old I am 62 married in 1974

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...