Monday, February 4, 2019

Monday Message


“As we have been continuously counseled for more than 60 years, let us have some food set aside that would sustain us for a time in case of need. But let us not panic nor go to extremes. Let us be prudent in every respect.” (Gordon B. Hinckley, October 2001)

I feel so sad when I see the hardship people had during the government shutdown. They had one lady say she had $1.06 left in her account because she went out to start the car and it would not start. So money she was going to spend on groceries had to go for a battery and others have said they had to work without pay and couldn’t afford the gas. 

It is wonderful that pantries helped during the shutdown. I find lots of people cannot even imagine that little in your account but those of us who have been there know exactly what having that much in our account is like. It still takes money to get to a pantry and many pantries are already stretched. There is only so much you are allowed to get from pantries and while these are a blessing it sure isn't a month's worth of food. 

When you are in the crisis it is not the time to try and build supplies and learn to be frugal. You must do it before because when the hard time is on you I am afraid you will be working a lot harder than having a job...it is hard work to be poor. You might be updating resumes, you may be looking for work, trying to work out your medical bills, and still stretching what food you have and, of course, trying to get food and clothes. Is there gas money? And then how old are you? Companies just don't hire older people. Add to that tending your family, washing clothes, making meals, and stress...it is even longer of a to do list. Things always need repairing but there’s no money for it and you try to learn and do the best you can.

I keep saying we just never know what is around the corner.

If you could not buy groceries and had to go as long as these people in the shutdown had to go, could you do it with what you have on hand right now? What does it hurt to have food and supplies ahead? What does it hurt if you don't?

I have been noticing lots of companies downsizing, meaning lots of people getting laid off.

These are trying times. We need to stand ready to help others.

https://www.moneycrashers.com/easy-ways-save-money-tight-budget/  there are some helpful ideas here.

Taking care of what you have. This speaks to the “use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.”

Be grateful for what we have. Being content is hugely important. Remembering what is truly important is a good reminder.  

https://www.gracefullittlehoneybee.com/how-to-feed-your-family-on-a-tight-budget/ - I do love her site a lot.

I thought perhaps I should share some of the things I do that helps stretch my budget...

I learned how to make bread first by hand.



http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2012/02/homemade-bread-crackers.html - here’s where you will find my favorite wheat bread recipe.

The next thing is I have a good friend who discovered she could make these bread mixes that worked in a bread machine as well as by hand.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2015/02/lizas-machine-bread.html 



This was a wonderful way to do bread items - http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2015/03/monday-message_16.html

Cooking from scratch is huge too.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2015/03/monday-message_16.html - there’s lots here

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2016/03/monday-message_14.html - this has some of my favorite sites



Here I am making homemade hamburger helper to have handy meals in minutes for those busy nights, recipes are in the sites above.

These are just a few things I do to help stretch an already tight budget. Of course, I store the ingredients to make these things, this is the most helpful. This is a good starting spot.  

Do what you can.

7 comments:

  1. I was just back in the DC area over the shutdown and where 80% of the people are government workers. I saw how hard it was for some. Walking from the apartments because they had no gas, buying the few things to make meals from ALdis and walking home. Sis and I bought diapers are rite aid for one mother counting out her coins. It is just so important to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. that was so nice of you to have gotten the diapers

      Delete
    3. My Name is Bar Leo from usa, I wish to share my testimonies with the general public about what this same man i once saw on this forum called Dr.Agbazara of AGBAZARA TEMPLE has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex husband to me with his great spell within 72 hours. I was married to my husband Alana Evans, we were together for a long time and we loved our self's but when I was unable to give him a child for 4 years he left me and told me he can't continue anymore then I was now looking for ways to get him back until i saw Dr.Agbazara contact on this site about his powers. Please do also contact him in any problem you are passing and see for your self on:

      ( agbazara@gmail.com ) OR WhatsApp him on ( +2348104102662)

      Delete
  2. Being prepared is very important. My husband was injured this past Sunday and will be off work for 8 weeks but with our savings and a well stocked pantry we will be ok. We'll be extra frugal but we'll be fine. I'm so happy that food is not a worry for me and I can focus on taking care of him.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I am sorry hope he gets better fast we truly do not know what is around the corner I am glad you were prepared.

      Delete
  3. My Name is Bar Leo from usa, I wish to share my testimonies with the general public about what this same man i once saw on this forum called Dr.Agbazara of AGBAZARA TEMPLE has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex husband to me with his great spell within 72 hours. I was married to my husband Alana Evans, we were together for a long time and we loved our self's but when I was unable to give him a child for 4 years he left me and told me he can't continue anymore then I was now looking for ways to get him back until i saw Dr.Agbazara contact on this site about his powers. Please do also contact him in any problem you are passing and see for your self on:

    ( agbazara@gmail.com ) OR WhatsApp him on ( +2348104102662)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...