Monday, April 29, 2019

Monday Message



"Our bishops storehouses are not intended to stock enough commodities to care for all the members of the Church. Storehouses are only established to care for the poor and the needy. For this reason, members of the Church have been instructed to personally store a year’s supply of food, clothing, and, where possible, fuel. By following this counsel, most members will be prepared and able to care for themselves and their family members, and be able to share with others as may be needed." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

I feel it is good to do the best we can at preparing for our family. 

http://storethisnotthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/How-to-Build-a...-12-Week-Color-Chart-Copy.pdf - love these gals, I thought this would be a good thing to pass along.

I was thinking what is one of my favorite things in storage...I would have to say the chicken I have canned.


It is so fast to use to have a meal ready in no time and tastes soooooo good. Tastes better than those metal can kind you can purchase at the store. It is also my favorite item to can as well.

My husband's favorite way of having chicken is my chicken salad for sandwiches especially on homemade bread.

My Chicken Salad
I use one pint of chicken or you can use cooked chicken. If I am fixing chicken I will sometime fix extra just for this but if not, I just pull out a pint of chicken. I add mayonnaise as desired and a spoonful of relish and one tbsp of finely diced onion cover and refrigerate. Way better than eating out!

What is next is everything to make bread and stuff to go on it like jams and peanut butter.


This is my favorite jam followed by raspberry. This marmalade was made from oranges we had from the holidays needed to use to save them. We have raspberries so that is good since I love that jam too.

Following those would have to be the ingredients to make my favorite chocolate cake...


My Chocolate Cake
1 ½ c. boiling water
¾ c. butter
2 c. sugar
Stir together till butter is melted and sugar is dissolved
Add:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ c. cocoa powder
Mix well and add…
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Blend well, batter will be thin.
Put in a sprayed 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees till done, check after twenty minutes.

What are your favorite things to store?

http://storethisnotthat.com/food-storage-for-beginners-how-to-start-your-food-storage-in-5-easy-steps/ - she really explains food storage well in the video.

Have you ever wondered how on Gilligan's Island they keep having those cream pies, where do they get that whip cream? Maybe they just have great skills.

https://sewguide.com/hand-hemming-stitches/ - great skill knowing how to hem.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+make+a+pattern+from+existing+clothing&docid=608046112337103556&mid=E6CDA5921F8424CEDFD1E6CDA5921F8424CEDFD1&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT - they show you how to make a pattern from your clothes but I would add here that instead of folding it back to draw, use a simple tracing wheel and just run it over the curves - works great.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=make+pattern+from+clothes&qs=AS&cvid=2aaaf4f4b32544659c4a088a9e3fd5bd&refig=8173f9099388469b96c5b7e24e877ba0&cc=US&setlang=en-US&PC=BSJO&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dmake%2bpattern%2bfrom%2bclothes%26form%3dEDGTCT%26qs%3dAS%26cvid%3d2aaaf4f4b32544659c4a088a9e3fd5bd%26refig%3d8173f9099388469b96c5b7e24e877ba0%26cc%3dUS%26setlang%3den-US%26PC%3dBSJO&view=detail&mmscn=vwrc&mid=D9B43CC3BEFEAC43C71DD9B43CC3BEFEAC43C71D&FORM=WRVORC - here is another version if you watch to the end there is a video that shows how to assemble the t shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOzKPDIp3TU - here is yet another version, she uses the tracing wheel I mentioned before.

Now why did I put in three different videos of how to do this? Because we all learn differently and we all teach differently.

Now with summer coming you may want to do a small child one to test the waters. If you are tight on funds for the fabric you could use one of yours to make the child version. Otherwise, look at yard sales for cheap or free shirts you can use. I know you are saying if I buy a used shirt to use why not just buy the kids used instead? Yes, you can do that but we are talking about learning a skill on the cheap.  

If you find you can develop this skill and wish to purchase fabric, look for sales, look at the clearance fabric, use coupons. T-shirt fabric comes wider than regular cotton fabric so you get by with less. Knowing how to do this is quite rewarding. When my girls were little I would make them these shirts only I would applique  their favorite character on the front. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like the wacky cake my mom used to make Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the best cake ever a very light not dense crumb

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...