Monday, May 13, 2019

Monday Message



“A cardinal principle of the gospel is to prepare for the day of scarcity. Work, industry, frugality are part of the royal order of life.” (Bishop Keith B. McMullin)

This is why I stress so much on here to gather storage, live frugally, and learn new skills. It’s a way of life!

I finally finished the spring cleaning. This was a tough one for sure as I did a lot of clearing out to give to the humanitarian yard sale. It was good that it all worked out to be the same time. A good thing to do.  As I went through my things I organized as well which was probably why it took so long.

Now I am ready to get back to learning and working on some projects that I put on hold until I was done.




https://www.littlehouseliving.com/meal-planning - she has many things in this area so look around, meal planning can help you live more frugally.

https://www.frugalfarmwife.com/article/how-to-be-frugal/ - she has a short article here.

https://www.busybloggingmom.com/live-frugally/ - she has some great ideas.

Sometimes reading tips like in the sites above will help spur ideas. What frugal ideas do you have?

https://diyjoy.com/homemade-cleaners-recipes/ - here are some homemade cleaners.

I like using this recipe instead of dryer sheets - In a small spray bottle place 3 Tbsps of your favorite cream rinse you use on your hair then fill the rest with water. Shake well before using then spray on a washcloth and throw in with a load in the dryer.

For years I have used baking soda to clean the stove top.

For slow drains I use 3 Tbsps of baking soda, then I pour in a third of a cup of vinegar, then I pour boiling water  down. If it’s still slow just repeat the process. This saves money and keeps chemicals away too.




Making washcloths from old towels is a frugal thing indeed.

Every little bit we do adds up and helps us to become a bit more self-reliant.

Something else I do is knit dishcloths, crocheting too is good. They are better than regular dishcloths but once you use them they will be your favorite. I have gotten the cotton yarn from sales so they are frugal as well as relaxing to make.

Keep working on your storage and building skills and finding frugal things.

10 comments:

  1. Becky, I had to laugh when I saw the first picture of the cotton yarn and dish cloths. You must've secretly known that I tried making my first one over the weekend! I had a small ball of leftover yarn from my mom's stash. (She crocheted me some before she died back in 13). I got brave, pulled out one of her hooks and tried to remember how. Well, it's almost square, a couple of missed stitches, etc. In short, it's SAD SAD SAD!!! However, it's perfectly useable. I intend to master the dish cloth before 19 is gone so I'll try again soon.

    Inexpensive week as we stayed home most of it. I made some simple pasta salad/sandwich lunches for over the weekend. My friend sent me a wonderful little spice collection from Penzeys? and the Italian was de-lish! I love that it included recipes so I plan to try more of them. I'm not an experimental cook so recipes are necessary for me.

    We finally got some new bath towels. We got a lot for our wedding 25 yrs. ago and they were looking pretty shaggy. Since we painted and did a new décor for our bed/bath, we got some new towels. Of course, the old ones will be used. Car washing towels, dog towels, etc. I think I'll have enough to take a dozen to the Humane Society to donate, as well.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great job...i have crochet and knitted dishcloth patterns in upcoming monday message also how to make scrubbies so be on the look out. rain rain seems to never stop. I too need the recipes. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy homemade dishcloths from crochet. Also I have cut cheap thin dish towels into two to make dish cloths...they are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will be having a crochet dishcloth pattern in upcoming posts so watch for that. Thanks for sharing

      Delete
  3. I also make dishcloths. My one friend now asks for them for gift giving occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i will be having dishcloth pattern both crochet and knit same for scrubbies coming soon thanks for sharing

      Delete
  4. I love the picture of your kitty. I can tell he's very spoiled and loved lots. Thank you for sharing and thank you for sharing all your wonderful tips and blog posts you find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you the cat posted is gus he is special for sure i was sad after my last one passed and was sitting on the front porch when all of a sudden he came and sat on my lap so he picked me he is a good helper too when i am in lots of pain he comes on me and pats my face and neck.

      Delete
  5. I just love your blog. It makes me more mindful of everything I have and everything I need to do to be more self sufficient.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...