Monday, April 5, 2021

Monday Message

"A cardinal principle of the gospel is to prepare for the day of scarcity. Work, industry, frugality are part of the royal order of life." (Bishop Keith B. McMullin)

Many things we can do to prepare for the unexpected...what about the expected?

We can keep preparing for the unexpected by picking up a little here and there and if you use a lot of certain items, let's say ketchup, if that’s on sale pick up more than one. We need to think differently, rather than getting just one and having to go back when we run out. This costs money because it won't be on sale then and there is time and gas to go back to the store and they make it so you spend every trip inside their store. Instead of doing it that way, stock up on it during the sale. This just saves you money. I have my list but if there is a manager's special I can quickly alter it to take advantage of the sale. Having stocked up before makes this easier as well.

When I would feel the beginning of a cold, which usually was long lived for me, I would drop what I was doing and stir together meals for the freezer to help me when I would be at my worst to help me so that I could rest.

Also, if you know that a certain paycheck will be slim pickins, use what you stocked up to help you through that time.

When I was pregnant I got some great advice from mothers I knew...the best advice was to make some casseroles ahead for the adjustment time and someone else mentioned getting hamburger buns, some sliced ham, and cheese then make them up (bun, ham, cheese) and wrap them in foil then freeze. This way I could pull out and thaw for a cold sandwich or just toss them in the oven for a fast meal of it being a melted sandwich. I cannot tell you how this helped me to adjust.

Do the same if you have a surgery planned.

Now with fibromyalgia I do not know when I will be in a flare but to help me during those times I keep things on hand like the chicken and rice casserole ingredients that I talked about a few weeks ago - http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2021/03/monday-message_15.html. This is a recipe we like and is way easy to fix when those flares come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5w1OzZDlZA - this is very helpful in showing how to rotate your storage, I love this gal.

https://www.pinterest.com/merrillproject/food-storage-ideas-for-small-spaces/ - here are ideas for storing in small places.

https://theprudenthomemaker.com/how-we-saved-money-the-second-week-of-march-2/ - I love this gal too, she is quite an inspiration.

This week I put cardboard down on the garden by breaking down boxes.  This will help me get a head start on weeds.

I also started some of my seeds for the garden that I had as well. We shall see what comes up. Last year I started more seeds than in the past to get a head start and it was a success before the derecho hit...I am hoping that doesn't happen again and hoping that the garden does well.

Missy says we need to love one another. It does not matter if we look alike. Jesus said the greatest commandment was to love one another.

Gus said keep wearing those masks and being safe.

4 comments:

  1. I love Missy’s lil’ friend!
    I try to at least keep a backup of everything, so say if I open a bottle of ketchup, I add one to my list so I will have one in the pantry and not run out. I don’t have a big buildup in my pantry, but I can make do with what I have for awhile. It’s comforting to know what things can be made with just a few basic ingredients. Even in our leanest years, I fed my family well 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am all about back ups too thanks for sharing

      Delete
  2. Such a great idea for the ham, chesse, rolls. I made the funeral ham sandwich thing yesterday. I'm freezing some now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...