Monday, May 1, 2023

Monday Message

"I wish to urge again the importance of self-reliance on the part of every individual Church member and family. None of us knows when a catastrophe might strike. Sickness, injury, unemployment may affect any of us. We have a great welfare program with facilities for such things as grain storage in various areas. It is important that we do this. But the best place to have some food set aside is within our homes, together with a little money in savings. The best welfare program is our own welfare program. Five or six cans of wheat in the home are better than a bushel in the welfare granary." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

With all the extreme weather and calamities, I think we need to have storage going in our homes. I know we can't prepare for everything but what we are able to prepare is a very helpful thing for us or someone else. The weather is pretty much broken right now so we push on as our ancestors, doing the best we can.

So here is the peach tree blossoming. This would have been a great year for peaches, it is loaded, but tonight we have a freeze warning posted so probably no peaches again this year. Time will tell. This is one of the reasons having storage on hand is good, we just don't know what will happen.

http://preparednessnibblesandbits.blogspot.com/search/label/Dehydrated%20Apples%20Recipes - this is one of my most favorite sites. If you scroll down to the apple crisp recipe that is the one I use all the time and it is sooooo good. I have mostly apples I have dried in storage, I find this is my most favorite way to store them. The other things I store with apples is applesauce and apple butter but mostly I dry them.

Apple Butter (this is the best in all the world) 

Make one gallon of applesauce (or if it is a not good year for apples, you can buy a gallon of it at Fareway or your grocery store) to this add:

3 c. sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp allspice

1 tsp cloves

4 c. apple juice

Mix all together in a roaster pan without the lid.

Bake at 350 for 3-4 hours till thick.

Process in a water bath for 15 minutes.

http://preparednessnibblesandbits.blogspot.com/2008/12/magic-mix.html - this is a good one to have on hand too.

http://myfoodstoragecookbook.com/create-your-own-book/ - here is one lady's way of setting up her food storage binders.

So keep working on having some items ahead. Weather is weird all around the world not just here. I saw that sugar will spike and go into shortage on the news because the weather damaged fields. Having extra on hand helps us to weather these things better.

I happened to find these charms marked way down on clearance so I made progress markers of them. A progress marker is if you want to see how far you knit or crochet in a sitting but mostly on crochet they act as stitch markers as well and on knitting...

When I am working on double-pointed needles (as in the picture here) stitch markers slide off but a progress marker can be attached between needles like in this picture, its purpose here is to mark the beginning of the row.

So it was a happy little find.

This week has been a very busy week. We took all the artwork my husband has made to a show he has been getting ready for two years. We got it delivered and installed. It was a lot of work.

The show is at Dog-Eared Books in Ames, Iowa.



I have been waiting these two years to reclaim my dining room so finally I have it back...

So a rest is in order for a couple weeks I hope.

Missy says make hay while the sun shines

11 comments:

  1. Debby in Kansas USAMay 1, 2023 at 12:58 PM

    Hi Becky! Art on display! How exciting. Ames is such a a nice little city. I'm glad we got to see it a couple of years ago. Loved that little shopping*village* across from the university.

    Great idea for using the charms. I started using old pin tacks I had for my bulletin board. I had some old awards and such that served no purpose in a drawer. So, I put them to work as thumbtacks.

    Your dining room table looks lovely!!
    So does Missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes old jewelry is fun to use and saves it from landfill Missy will appreciate your comment

      Delete
  2. love that you have your space and table back looks lovely with your treasures and china cups...thanks for the apple info Becky I love apple butter haven't had it for years...so will see maybe this year a good time to make it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very tasty and is easier to do then on top of stove

      Delete
  3. Becky, I have a question. I was given some store bought applesauce. Would it be ok to make it into apple butter and then can it? I've canned homemade apple butter, but don't know if it's ok to can apple butter made from canned applesauce?????
    Also, my Kitty Dumpling sends her greetings to Missy.
    Thank you, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I have fibromyalgia I only do now with the big cans of applesauce it is way easier than making applesauce plus for me it is cheaper because my apple trees are babies yet if I had an over abundance I might push thru but using applesauce canned or not is good. Tho I have a warning this is addicting yum tell dumpling thank you to Missy she is having a bit of an adjustment with Mrs pickles who you all will meet next week she is having lady surgery today poor girl

      Delete
    2. Thank you for answering my question. I'm going to can up some apple butter next week.
      Ginger

      Delete
  4. HOLA BECKY: COMO ESTAS? ME ENCANTAN TUS CALCETINES, TAMBIEN ESTOY TEJIENDO UN PAR PARA UNA ANCIANA DE NUESTRA IGLESIA, SUFRE MUCHO CON SUS PIES FRIOS, ELLA TIENE 81 AÑOS Y LE DUELEN LOS HUESOS, ASI QUE DECIDI REGALARLE 2 PARES, UNO ESTA LISTO EL OTRO RECIEN COMIENZA. EL AZUCAR AQUI ESTA MUY CARA, TODOS LOS ALIMENTOS SUBEN TODAS LAS SEMANAS, ES UN CAOS MI PAIS, PUDE COMPRARME ALGO DE ROPA DE SEGUNDA MANO EN BUEN ESTADO, AHORRE MUCHO DINERO, COMPRE 3 FALDAS, 3 SWETTERS Y UN PAR DE BOTAS TIPO VAQUERAS, Y POR UN TIEMPO ESTOY VESTIDA. SI PASAS POR MI BLOG, VERAS UN ALAJERO PARA GUARDAR ANILLOS, CADENAS ECT. QUE LE OBSEQUIE A MI NUERA EL OTRO DIA QUE FUE SU CUMPLEAÑOS, RECICLE UN POTE PLASTICO QUE CONTENIA CREMA PARA EL CABELLO, MI HIJA LO HABIA TIRADO Y LO RESCATE DE LA BASURA, LO LAAVE MUY BIEN Y LO TRANSFORME, A MI NUERA LE GUSTO MUCHO Y ME HIZO MUY FELIZ. BENDICIONES HERMANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved what you Mae I bet everyone loves it too you do good work

      Delete
  5. I have a Pickles that showed up with a lil baby, Trixie - we adopted both! I love cats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well we changed from pickle to tippy easier for all and the tip of her tail looks like it was dipped in ink she isa good kitty

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...