Monday, May 8, 2023

Monday Message

"We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with a one week’s food supply and gradually build it to a month, and then to three months. I am speaking now of food to cover basic needs. . .I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. . .Begin in a small way, … and gradually build toward a reasonable objective." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

Try every time you go to a store to pick up one item for your family's storage. If you go to the pharmacy, pick up band-aids or Epsom salt, or antibiotic cream. When you go to the grocery store, grab a bag of flour or shortening or sugar or yeast and salt - you can make bread with all these items then get peanut butter, jams.

These will add up, especially when you think how many times you go to the store.

Next time you are at a sewing store, get a pattern for making your daughters' underpants and if you have sons, get a pattern to make some boxers, they are easy

Of course, if you don't have a sewing machine, look on Craig's list or freecycle.

We really need to be stepping up our skills.

Prices continue to go up. I know someone who makes underpants from her husbands t-shirts so be creative, put a little bow on and they are pretty. I made our girls' panties when they were little, I appliqued butterflies and such.

I know it is hard to carve out the time to sew but get supplies so you will be ready when you find the time.

In two weeks it will be planting time, this is a huge skill to build.

https://www.almanac.com/vegetable-gardening-for-beginners - just read this article.

Every little bit we learn to do saves us money then we can take that money and build our storage.

One thing I did was plant asparagus. This will feed us with hardly any work, if you can plant fruit trees and grapes and strawberries these will feed us later on.

So consider planting things that will feed you for years.

I feel like hard times will be with us for a while. I'm praying they don't get worse but I feel like it never hurts to develop those skills.

Budgeting for hard times...https://www.wollit.com/money-hub-resource/50-tips-to-save-money-through-hard-times - here are some useful ideas

We need to start using things that we have and find uses for things like old jars (just as an example) put screws or nails or pens in them. Rather than tossing things, think up a use for them.

We can vacuum seal in jars so save their lids. When you open a jar look inside the lid do you see that rubber around the edge? Yep, it will seal.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2015/08/monday-message_24.html - in this post I write how to vacuum seal using a canister that allows you to use any size jar that has a lid with that rubber in it. And just incase you missed seeing this list, I post it here again...

What you learn is also part of your storage, soooo....

Do you know how to grind wheat? Do have a grinder?

Do you know how to make bread?

Do you know how to make a cake from scratch?

Can you cook totally from scratch?

Can you make what you need?

Do you know how to effectively budget, garage sale and thrift buying?

Do you know how to shop for groceries effectively?

Do you know how to darn socks?

Do you know how to knit socks?

Do you know how to knit mittens, hats, scarves?

Can you refashion your clothes without spending money?

Can you make the world's best cookies?

Can you make pancakes from scratch?

Can you make syrup for said pancakes?

Can you make jam?

Can you can or pressure can or dehydrate?

Can you make flour tortillas?

Can you sew, can you mend?

Can you grow a garden?

Can you make yogurt?

Can you grow herbs? Do you know how to use them?

Can you manage not going grocery shopping for a month? How about two, three, or four months? You should see how long you can go and see what you are short of though use the grocery funds to get storage while you do this exercise.

This list is much longer and varies with each of you.

http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2014/01/monday-message-becoming-self-reliant.html - great stuff on this post.

These are just a few things to look for at yard sales or thrift stores or freecycle or Craig's list.




When I go to a yard sale or thrift store, I usually have a list to keep me on track. Once I look for the list items, I then say to myself, is there anything in here that can help me be more frugal? And that is how I got my food savers both from a yard sale. Both were ten dollars. One was brand new, the other used once.  

Yes, many times people will buy items to find out they either don't like what the item did or what they wanted it to do, but in reality it could be so much more than the one thing. But since it is helpful to others, I am glad they put it on a yard sale. Purchasing items used is so helpful if you can as it saves so much which means you have funds to get the next item on your list.

Now this isn't just food prep alone. Look for sewing machines and supplies for sewing and knitting and crocheting. Look for gardening tools. Look to replace things you already have that might not go on much further. Set it aside and keep going till the item is no longer good nor can be repaired and bring out the one you got at that yard sale and you won't have to get a replacement at new prices.

Study things that will help you build your skills or teach you more frugal ways of doing things.

That said, we have a new addition for you all to meet. We took in another stray that was hanging around outside...

Meet Mrs. Pickles she is six months-old. I know she reminds you a lot of Gus in the face.

She says always be kind to everyone.

Missy says while she is having a really hard time adjusting to Mrs. Pickles, she says keep working at your storage and be flexible with change.

13 comments:

  1. HOLA BECKY: TENGO UN FRASCO CON LOS MISMOS FIDEOS, QUE COINCIDENCIA. TENGO MUCHOS FRASCOS QUE SIEMPRE GUARDO RSTOS DE FIDEOS, ARROZ, POROTOS, GARBANZOS ECT. SON MUY UTILES. PASA POR MI BLOG Y VERAS 2 PUBLICACIONES RECIENTES, ¿VISTE EL POTE DE CREMA PARA EL PELO? LO SAQUE DE LA BASURA YA QUE MI HIJA LO HABIA TIRADO VACIO, LO LAVE Y LO CONVERTI EN UN ALAJERO PARA GUARDAR CADENAS, ANILLOS, AROS ECT,. SE LO OBSEQUIE A MI NUERA LA SEMANA PASADA QUE CUMPLIO AÑOS, ES TAN LINDO REGALAR COSAS HECHAS POR NUESTRAS MANOS, A MI ME DA MUCHO PLACER HACERLO Y ME AHORRO UN MONTON DE DINERO CON LO CARO QUE ESTA TODO. DIOS TE SIGA BENDICIENDO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love what you did with the jar you are so very talented

      Delete
  2. Hi Becky,
    Just had to chime in today and say Mrs. Pickles is very sweet and yes, she does remind me of Gus. I've integrated quite a few cats perfectly successfully over the years. The best thing is to give Missy extra love and attention, so she doesn't feel displaced by the newcomer.
    Play with them together taking turns with a wand toy and offer treats when they are close to each other. Always feed Missy first for the next few months and don't let Mrs. Pickles take over a favorite sleeping spot.. They will become good friends. it will just take a little time. Blessings, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I tell her she has the honored place being the elder and I do all of this slowly it gets a little better over missy's life I learned that she hisses when she is scared I would feed her and she would his at me even as a tiny so I keep telling pickles she hissed at me too in the beginning thank you

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the lovely post as always, and welcome, Mrs. Pickles! What a delightful new addition to your cat storage! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the perfect cat and since she picked us is always a good thing

      Delete
  4. Your cat photos and commentary are the best :) Mrs. Pickles is a lucky lady. Hopefully Missy will come around. Thank you for your continual encouragement and information. Glad you are feeling better! Wishing you health and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good advice. I can do most of those things. We've had hard times throughout our married life. I don't know how I'd feed a family of six these days. It's easier with just my husband and I. My daughter recently got a second cat. The first is acting much like yours.
    Have a great week. I invite you to visit me at Harvest Lane Cottage.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know what season of life you'll find yourself in. We thought we were retiring and now we are caring for our 3 year old grandson. He and his mom moved in with us at Thanksgiving. I think of all the times I kept feeling an urging to buy clothing for children and didn't because I couldn't fathom why I'd need it. Now I know! Listen to those inner urgings. They may be telling you something.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...