Monday, June 3, 2024

Monday Message

"The rationale for emergency preparedness is that by living providently and by acquiring in advance the skills and resources necessary to cope effectively with difficulties, Latter-day Saints can minimize or avoid the suffering that accompanies the unexpected.  They can also have the sense of security and peace of mind (D&C 38:30) that are essential to spiritual development."

Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 14 vols., edited by Daniel H. Ludlow (New York: Macmillan, 1992),, p. 453

I think we all see the prices rising and rising. So it is times like these that we need to find more frugal ways. Learn how to stretch what you have. Teach your kids skills they will need. Because we all have hard times. Think of hard times you have had, what do you wish you had known then. I wish I had known how to bake bread and how to stock some food for bad times. I remember when we moved to student housing, back then you could get four packages of hot dogs for a dollar and four packages of mac and cheese for a dollar. I remember one week we could get a dozen eggs, the next a bag of flour...hard times aren't all bad. They taught me how to make do and manage.

I say we never stop learning...

I wanted to show you how I remade a pair of capris pants to be my size.

I cut the center seam from cuff to cuff. Then folded them inside with side seams touching as in the picture.



..followed by the rest. I put the front of the pattern to the front which has a zipper and ties. Then I fudged the pattern about so that I could use the waist band zipper and ties, side seams and hem, and it worked great with very little sewing time. So look at your clothing and find ways to extend the life of the item.

For that matter, find different uses for things you already have instead of heading to a store.

https://kiwienergy.us/10-easy-ways-to-repurpose-and-reuse-common-household-items/ - there are some good ideas here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT6yqK4VLFg - there are some good ideas here as well, I might even try some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58WGkkMej3s - here are some frugal ideas.

Try this week to do some more frugal things... let us know what frugal ideas you find in the comments below.

I saw a podcast where a lady showed how to make these vine balls. I love them! So this year I have started doing them with this awful vine that I usually pull and toss on the burn pile but now doing this ball, every time I find one, I add it. Kind of like war on this nasty vine and in the end I win big time.

Missy says seriously find ways to be frugal on everything, even like she shows often with her brown grocery bag.

Tippy Longstockings is in shock at the rising prices look for frugal things.

2 comments:

  1. For the first time, we were able to gets9me of the sour cherries from our tree before the birds did! It wasn’t a lot- a handful a day for about 5 days. But I did not want them to go to waste! Too few for canning pie filling or a batch of jam. But I used the search on Pinterest for sour cherry recipes and there was one that said “Small amount sour cherry jam”! They made it with only 2 cups of cherries! I had enough!! After making it, you keep it in the fridge for up to 3 weeks! They were wrong about that, though! We had PBJ sandwiches for dinner and the next morning I made a big batch of pancakes and used the jam instead of syrup! Yummy! But we used it all up! 😟😉 If not for searching online, they may have just gone bad in fridge. We are very pleased!

    Gardenpat in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. BECKY: BUENOS ENLACES PARA SEGUIR APRENDIENDO. TUS PUBLICACIONES SEMANALES ME INSPIRAN. HICE UNA PUBLICACION RECIENTEMENTE EN MI BLOG, ESPERO QUE PASES POR AHI. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...