Monday, September 28, 2026

Monday Message


"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors, and support bishops as they care for others." (All is Safely Gathered In pamphlet)

We are still hot at the time I am writing this which is two weeks ago from when you are reading this.  We see though that the weekend coming will be cooler and that is finally a light at the end of the tunnel.

Our General Conference is the first weekend in October. You can watch it if you wish www.lds.com - if you go to this site you can get info plus you can get it in your native language as well. I love this conference so much. It is held two times a year (in April and October). I put chili in the crockpot and make cinnamon rolls and I watch with feet up and a knitting project. I really need to have it calm my soul at this time and so nice to watch something that brings peace.

So this week finds us digging into a sinkhole we have looking to check pipes - it's better to do while the ground is not frozen.

I have continued to work on mixes... I have gathered my favorites into one spot for easy access.

Plus, my favorite brownie mix is in Make-A-Mix.

I love the Baker's Flower book, it's the best. You make one mix (it is like Bisquick) all the book uses is that one mix to make so many different recipes. You can check it out through your library or get it used for very little.

As I mentioned last time, SOS mix is great https://extension.usu.edu/fscreate/files/2023-26-staff/SOS-Mix-Recipe-Book-PR.pdf worth printing this off to put in your binder.

Do you have a favorite mix you make? Write it in the comments!

I love the pumpkin pie spice (recipe below) and, of course, it's time to make my favorite pumpkin muffins.

Pumpkin Pie Spice

1/2 c cinnamon

1/4 c ginger

2 tbsp nutmeg

2 tbsp cloves

I put in small canning jar, shake and label


Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

I mix and set aside the topping

1/3 c. flour

3 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp cold butter

In bowl mix...

1/4 c. soft butter

1/2 c. sugar

1/4 c. brown sugar

2/3 c pumpkin

1/2 c. milk (I add tsp of vinegar to it)

2 eggs

1 tbsp molasses

Mix well.

Then I don’t stir again till all dry ingredients are measured in.

2 c flour

1 tsp dried orange peel

2 tsp b. powder

1 tsp b soda

1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1/4 tsp salt

Then stir well and divide between twelve regular muffin cups, I use liners but whatever works for you.

Then I spoon divide the topping evenly over all.

Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 20-25 min.


The garden is done now. I am glad to be done with that though it seems way too early.

I have been still doing some organizing and cleaning through, which I seem to do every fall for some reason.

I have also been working at getting in some water in. It has been on my mind for awhile but when the United States water plants got hacked it made me step it up. At great sacrifice, I was able to work my grocery budget around getting this water by adding storage to fill in the difference. Also, since the Canada problems they have the stuff that helps us make toilet paper, so I got 48 rolls of that plus six boxes of Kleenex as we're heading into cold season. I always try to get a 25 lb bag of flour. So around these things we will eat from our storage to have gotten them in. Storage helps us be able to do this very thing.

I chose bottles as gallons like milk cartons break down. And believe me, I have dealt with enough water this year.  

We do have water stored for cleaning and flushing but I needed drinking water. So my grocery budget isn't a lot for a month of groceries. I chose twelve cases of 40 bottles each, that was the most for the least amount of money. From Walmart, I think it was $65 just for the water. That is also the limit they will let you buy.  

I tell you all this so you can see how storage helps us and that sacrifice on my part is required but now I can stop stressing on the water. Was it hard work?? You bet it was! My arms still hurt from carrying them in. We used the wheelbarrow (remember we got a ruined free one for its parts - thrifty was that). We put a couple cases from the car into it and wheeled it to house and that's how that went. I'm very thankful we found the wheelbarrow that day because we have used it so, so many times since.

So keep working on your storage, things are about to get a lot worse. Get some flour put in as it will go higher in price. I store mine in plastic food-grade buckets. I set two bay leaves on the flour, put on the lid date and label it. When I open it, I know I am looking for two bay leaves that I take out and put flour in my using can.

Beef, as you have probably notice, is going to go higher because we don't have enough cows at this time. They need time to build the herds. I am a little nervous at eating beef from another country right now because of different standards that countries have but that is just a me thing. But be working actively on stocking up.

I saw that they are telling people to stock food in the UK to prepare for the strong El Nino https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/do-we-need-to-prepare-ahead-of-extreme-el-ni%C3%B1o-winter-a-sensible-and-simple-list-of-what-to-stockpile/ar-AA2byFuS?ocid=BingNewsSerp I like that they are getting people prepared. You may get ideas on the list. I wish our country would do this as well.

https://tinyfarmbigfamily.substack.com/p/10-pantry-mixes-to-make-instead-of-buying-homemade-shelf-stable-budget-friendly-staples-your-family-will-love

https://www.mommyskitchen.net/2024/02/the-homemade-pantry.html

https://tipnut.com/baking-mixes-seasonings/ - this is one of my favorite sites.

And because Christmas is coming and prices are going up, try this - https://tipnut.com/free-gifts-in-a-jar-recipes/ so many ideas!

I think giving a gift of food is helpful to all. We have a neighbor who gives us cookie mix in a jar for Christmas every year - love it we do!

I know I have hit on mixes two weeks now, they are frugal and may just help your budget too.


Missy says keep working on stocking up - it will really help your budget.


Tippy Longstockings says with her very cute wisdom looking way - put things in now for help to you and your family later and remember your pets when stocking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...