Monday, August 19, 2024

Monday Message

"Can or bottle fruit and vegetables from your gardens and orchards. Learn how to preserve food through drying and possibly freezing. Make your storage a part of your budget. Store seeds and have sufficient tools on hand to do the job." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

If you don't have the equipment to can or dry food, then freeze what you can. But continue to try and get the equipment that you can and while you are trying to get these things, learn how to use them and you will be ready when you do get them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsY6HdtrJb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQqhUiJ5BZ0&t=1s

Here are a couple of ideas on how to make your own solar dehydrator and maybe this will help you come up with your own version.

https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/dehydrating-food/ - here is good info on dehydrated food.

https://www.thepurposefulpantry.com/ways-to-rehydrate-dehydrated-food/ - this gal has tons of wonderful info.

https://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2022/08/monday-message_15.html - here is more things I do.

https://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2013/07/monday-message.html - more info.

https://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2020/08/monday-message_31.html - more drying.

It really helps the budget to use your excess veggies and fruits.

Look at yard sales and thrift stores and even look for sales online for dehydrators and other equipment that can help you put up food.

I tell you, I get my groceries once a month and so far no relief in the prices. I am glad that I am getting produce out of the garden.

I was given this cute ice chest. It's perfect for making my yogurt. I have some going in it even now.


https://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2023/12/monday-message_11.html - you can scroll down to see my yogurt and yes, it is that thick. The recipe is just above that picture. I make two quarts at a time. When I open the last, then it is time to make more. I like this the best over any I have ever had, so I keep it in the refrigerator all the time as we have it daily.

This last week I moved my tea cart to the other end of dining room. When my sister and I were little (I was five, she was three) we lived in Wyoming. We went walking out on the prairie. We were told to stay near the fence line, which we did as it was a vast prairie. On our walk, we saw a wooden box on its side. We went to investigate and inside were the most beautiful dishes. They had flowers on them. We loved playing with them. We never knew why they were there... They looked like they fell there. It had that shredded packing material. We were too young to even question where they came from or what became of them. 

That was 63 years ago but that was a very wonderful memory of the two of us playing with those beautiful dishes. So on my cart are those same kind of dishes with pretty flowers around the plates, each invoking that memory from a walk on the prairie on a sunny day in Wyoming so many years ago.

I finished cleaning and organizing the basement. When faced with a huge project like I mentioned before, I will work an hour a day till the job is finished and that was this week for the basement.

I was given a needle punch kit...

I look forward to working on this and learn more about punch needle this is a pillow kit complete with everything.

Here I am in one of the dresses I recently made this dress cost time and skills as the rest was free... so skills are important to have.

Every year we have two love birds come back to our house. Well this year they have offspring. Aren't they cute? You will hear a parent cooing to let them know they are near.

How are you doing at building your skills? Are you trying to learn something new? Share what you have picked to work on in the comments.

A few things to keep in mind... Christmas is coming. I know in this awful heat where I am it is hard to think of, but do a little now and then to be ready. You can spread out the cost or be working on gifts.  The kids will soon be back in school. This will help you have more time to work on things.

Keep looking for sales to stock up.

Missy says find time to rest a little as you work so hard at being frugal.

Tippy Longstockings says keep thinking of what skills you are wanting to learn- you can do it!

10 comments:

  1. WOW HERMANA, TE VES TAN LINDA CON ESE VESTIDO, TE QUEDA MUY BIEN, TOMA OTRAS 2 FOTOS DE TUS OTROS VESTIDOS, SE VEN GENIALES. AMO AMO TU VAJILLA, MI DIOS QUE DELICADA Y PERFECTA, Y ESA CARPETA BORDADA ES MUY BELLA, ¿HICISTE TU EL BORDADO? SE VE TAN PROLIJO, AMO BORDAR. ESTOY PENSANDO EN REGALOS PARA FIN DE AÑO, COMO SOMOS UNA GRAN FAMILIA EXTENDIDA, TENGO QUE COMENZAR TEMPRANO,TENGO MUCHAS IDEAS EN MENTE, ASI QUE VERE QUE HAGO, ME ENCANTA REGALAR COSAS HECHAS POR MIS MANOS. ACTUALMENTE ESTOY HACIENDO CENTROS DE MESA DE GIRASOLES AL CROCHET Y CUANDO LOS TERMINE,HARE GIRASOLES MAS CHICOS PARA LLAVEROS ESOS SERAN SOUVENIRS, ES PARA MI CONSUEGRA Y HERMANA EN CRISTO NANCY QUE CUMPLIRA 60 AÑOS EL 23 DE ESTE MES, ELLA LE GUSTA MUCHO TODO LO QUE YO TEJO, LA QUIERO MUCHO Y NOS LLEVAMOS MUY BIEN, SU HIJA OSEA MI NUERA ESPOSA DE MI HIJO LUCAS, ESTA RECICLANDO LATAS DE CONSERVAS Y ARVEJAS QUE LAS PINTARA Y SE USARAN COMO MACETAS, TODO HECHO POR NOSOTRAS Y GASTANDO LO MINIMO, ES TAN BUENO SABER MUCHAS HABILIDADES,NOS AHORRAMOS MUCHO DINERO. PRONTO PUBLICARE EL TRABAJO TERMINADO, TE ENVIO UN ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes I did embroider the pouch and yes we need to get moving on gifts that is for sure.

      Delete
  2. (Little Penpen) your dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dresses are so pretty as are you wearing one of them Thank you for sharing. I am weekly amazed at all you do. Working daily to keep your home and make time for your many hobbies. I would like to come play at your house for while maybe your talents would rub off on me.. Please share any ideas for Christmas gifts for families with grown children. If I can Make a decision , then I will get busy.. Making a cloth book right now following Ann Wood.Thanks again. Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am two weeks a head on the posts but I will see what I can do thank you

      Delete
  4. Your dress is lovely and I am so happy to see you modeling it! I appreciate so much all your encouragement to keep learning new skills. That is what I am trying to do. I did not learn homemaking skills when growing up, so am trying to learn them now as an adult. I did a new thing this week—I started a new blog! I have an older blog, but sadly have a relative who is very critical of me and many things that I do, so I have not posted on that blog for almost two years. Well, I realized this past week that I could start a new blog, and not tell this relative about the new one! And so I made a start! If anyone is interested, the url is: https://jesuscallsmefriend.blogspot.com/ I am enjoying being able to post again, which is good for my mental health but I have chosen not to use my real name in this blog just in case this relative stumbles across it—they won’t know it is mine! This is good for my mental health, it is free enjoyment for me, and it also will keep me more accountable to trying to save Pennie’s so I can report about it on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to your new blog love it i think we all need as much help as we can get on learning frugal ways

      Delete
  5. Oh Becky you are always a ray of sunshine sharing such needed wisdom. Your dress looks so comfortable, would that pattern be good for stretch and cotton fabric? I find dresses are so much cooler to wear in spring and summer, it is almost spring here and we are enjoying the first of the warmer weather this week. Thankyou for reminding me about christmas, I have all four of my childrens birthdays before then and some years I forget christmas as am focusing so on birthdays. A little bit at a time. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made this pattern from both knit and like this one that isn't knit I just keep doing this same pattern because it is my fav in winter I just top with sweaters and summer without these are church dresses that I have been making. I am two weeks ahead on the posts but yes we need to be thinking of getting gifts ready too hard to do all at once thank you

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...