Monday, August 26, 2024

Monday Message

"The revelation to produce and store food may be as essential to our temporal welfare today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah." (President Ezra Taft Benson)

I picked this quote since this week at the thrift store I got this ark. Anyone who knows me well, knows I love Noah's ark.

It is about ten inches high.

Have you ever paused to think of how much work it was to get all the storage ready to put on that ark? They just couldn't roll up to Costco and then to tend all the animals. I think it is a lot to store for a family let alone all that.

Skills are necessary for living more frugally...


You can see I am using the pattern that fits me and laying it over a dress that was way, way too big for me. It was given to me with three others. I'm just trying this one first.

I wanted to place the pattern on so that I could keep the neck ribbing, hem, and sleeve ribbing. This should make a fast sew when I get to it next week.

If I did not have some sewing skills, I wouldn't even be able to do this. So I am glad I have some sewing skills, plus this is a skill I am wanting to build on as well.

This amount of knit fabric would be pricey for me. So keep your eyes out for large articles of clothing that would have lots of fabric you could use. Even a grown-up t-shirt could be made into smaller t-shirts or underwear. So before you get rid of your clothes think about what you can make out of them.

I picked up this pattern as well. It was marked 50 cents this week but as I am a senior, and this was on their senior discount day, it was less. But my concern was this store used to have two big boxes of patterns... now they only had not quite ten patterns and that's it. Maybe they are doing a clear-out. When they do that they shift them to another store but at this store it did not look like that. Usually there would be empty shelves throughout the store but that wasn't so. Let me know in the comments if you are seeing patterns at your thrift stores. I am very thankful I have saved my patterns over the years.  Still, I have used the clothes I have and like that I have made patterns from them.

So I urge you to build your sewing skills.

I have been shifting a few things about in my living room, just a few things...

I moved my chair and spinning wheel to trade places with each other.

Here is the chair. I wanted to be able to have the little loom closer and easier to use by the chair where I use it. Right now it has rug mugs going on it.

The spinning wheel is where the chair use to be.

I am almost done with this spin project I have going on the wheel.

I also have been weaving...

First, I needed to get a better pad for the seat.

Boy, has that made all the difference!

I am almost done with the first of three dish towels.

They all have the same colors but they are switched around. This one has more periwinkle in it, the next has more pumpkin, and the third will have more green.

This is a skill I am working on to further develop.

I used up a bucket of flour so now I need to load it, re-date it, and put it to the back of the others. Rotation is very important!

I got my buckets free to begin with years ago from bakeries and then they went to charging a dollar a piece. Still, you could purchase buckets like them from Lowes BUT ask them for FOOD GRADE BUCKETS as they carry both kinds and to store food in them, they must be food grade.

Yes, you can store flour for five years in a cool and dry environment. Remember not to place them on concrete. I put wood between the concrete and the bucket, otherwise moisture sucks into it.

Since I have talked looms, I thought you might want to play a game called can you spot a cat...

Missy says to keep working on your skills, you will need to know how to use them to live more frugally.

Tippy Longstockings says that whatever skills you have, build on them and keep working on your storage like with the bucket of flour - maintain what you have and build on it too.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your Noah’s ark! And you are right—that was a LOT of work to store all the supplies up, for their family, extended family members, plus for others if they had chosen to take refuge with them as well. PLUS all the animals!!! How much would the animals have eaten? A LOT! Especially the larger animals!
    Your home looks lovely—using what you have. Rearranging and moving something from one place to another can give an entirely fresh and new look.
    I saved pennies in several ways this week:
    1) paid a school bill by the semester, therefore earning a discount on it
    2) organized dewing supplies better—now I can see what I have to use and not purchase what I do not need
    3) made meals at home, except for
    4) had a meal out paid for by my boss who took the team out to eat
    5) sold a piece of furniture I did not need and that had been stored in the basement for several years now. There is no reason for it to just get older down there, when someone can be blessed by it and I am blessed by the new space in the basement and the pennies added to my bank account! :)
    6) continued to add to my new blog ( https://jesuscallsmefriend.blogspot.com/2024/08/pennies-from-heaven_27.html ) I am simply enjoying having a place to post and share again, after stopping for several years

    I am afraid I learned the hard way about not having the food grade plastic buckets setting directly on cement floors! :( But I know better now—I did want to ask, what type of lid do you put on your buckets of flour? Is it anything special? I know some people have the lids that are air proof I think they are? Walmart also has the food grade buckets in the painting area of the store. I don’t remember what the number is, but I looked up the number online that is on the bucket, and the number came up as one that was food grade safe. People of course should check what their own local store carries, and look it up to make sure it is safe.

    I love the kitty pictures! They are so wise—we would do well to heed their advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did great on all that wow. I just use the lids that come with them I know there are special lids that help to open easily but not in my budget I put two Bay leaves on top of anything grain related flour, wheat, popcorn, pasta stuff like that. Love your blog

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...