Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday Message


Provident living....Next class is April 22 at 9:30 a.m. at the Shook's. Since it is the second to last class till fall we will do fun inexpensive summer foods for kids, camping and picnics. Be sure to bring your favorite recipes to share with the class! The last class will be basic gardening where will actually have hands on learning!

"I stand before the Church this day and raise the warning voice. ... It is a voice calling upon the Lord's people to prepare for the troubles and desolations which are about to be poured out upon the world without measure.  For the moment we live in a day of peace and prosperity but it shall not ever be thus.  Great trials lie ahead. All of the sorrows and perils of the past are but a foretaste of what is yet to be. And we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually." Bruce R. McConkie, Ensign May 1979, pp. 92-93.

"Peace is fragile, civilization itself is fragile. The economy is particularly vulnerable..."I do not know what the future holds. I do not wish to sound negative, but I wish to remind you of the warnings of scripture and the teachings of the prophets which we have had constantly before us. I cannot forget the great lesson of Pharaoh's dream of the fat and lean kine and of the full and withered stalks of corn. I cannot dismiss from my mind the grim warnings of the Lord as set forth in the 24th chapter of Matthew. I am familiar, as are you, with the declarations of modern revelation that the time will come when the earth will be cleansed and there will be indescribable distress, with weeping and mourning and lamentation. . . . Now, I do not wish to be an alarmist. I do not wish to be a prophet of doom. I am optimistic. I do not believe the time is here when an all-consuming calamity will overtake us. I earnestly pray that it may not. "As we have been continuously counseled for more than 60 years, let us have some food set aside that would sustain us for a time in case of need. But let us not panic nor go to extremes. Let us be prudent in every respect. And, above all, my brothers and sisters, let us move forward with faith in the Living God and His Beloved Son... (Gordon B. Hinckley,October Conference 2001.)

.."We encourage you to grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property. Berry bushes, grapevines, fruit trees—plant them if your climate is right for their growth. Grow vegetables and eat them from your own yards. Even those residing in apartments or condominiums can generally grow a little food in pots and planters. Study the best methods of providing your own foods. Make your garden neat and attractive as well as productive. If there are children in your home, involve them in the process with assigned responsibilities...Develop your skills in your home preservation and storage. We reaffirm the previous counsel the Church has always given, to acquire and maintain a year’s supply—a year’s supply of the basic commodities for us. We encourage families to have on hand this year’s supply; and we say it over and over and over and repeat over and over the scripture of the Lord where He says, ‘Why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?’ How empty it is as they put their spirituality, so-called, into action and call him by his important names, but fail to do the things which he says. Spencer W. Kimball (April Conference, 1976)

Grow a garden. There is a good primary song - "The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden" and me who hates any kind of gardening at all, I am out singing that song in my head. So I encourage you to plant one if you have space... do container gardening if you do not. I am most certain no one hates it more than me but in the end we have good food to eat and with the constant costs for food going up it is a necessity as well... Guess we can't like everything :p

http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Sewing-Projects-for-Beginners - here is a great sewing site to get you working up some simple things to renew your skills.

Our class this week was convenience in the kitchen. I showed that I make a bacon pie on a busy day. Here is the recipe:

Bacon pie

2 c. milk
3 eggs
1 cup bisquick tho I use my own version
salt and pepper

I put this all in a quart jar. I stir well and then refrigerate it till supper time.

I use a casserole that is about pie size, spray it and sprinkle with bacon pieces. I use the kind you put on salad and a package of swill cheese and at supper I shake the jar, pour over the cheese and bacon pieces and bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.

I showed how to do meals like this doing prep work early and finishing later near supper.

We talked about muffins making up your favorite, mixing just the dry ingredients and storing in a bag. On the front of the bag write what you need to add and how to prepare it. On the back of the bag you write what is in the bag so once you make the muffins up you have the recipe to refill the bag.

Make some mixes from sites you have gotten in earlier Monday Messages or check out the Make-A-Mix books from the library.

Sister Miller's rolls which are a mix are good to have on hand in the frig.

On my counter I have in a plastic baggie it is taped to the area near the powdered milk container here is the link http://everydayfoodstorage.net/handouts/milk-conversion-charts.pdf

I also have the yogurt recipe next to it

Also inside my cupboard doors I have "most used recipes."

On that I also have a basket that holds four notebooks one is my food storage note book that I gave you the recipes last Monday.

Then I have three others bed and breakfast, meals soup and salad, desserts snacks etc.

Those are the three and these just have my most used and favorite recipes in so I can grab what I need when I need it.

I have my often used items out. I do not want to drag out a mixer etc.. so I have the wheat grinder next to the bread mixer and the attachments and all are plugged in and the regular mixer and it's attachments, the blender and attachment the vacuum sealer and its parts, the toaster near the bread etc...

Have everything handy like hot pads, dish cloths and towels, dish washing soap by dishwasher... just using common sense.

By the snack cake mix I have little recipe book and Baker's Flower and the book to go with it ...this is my like bisquick mix.


My kitchen is set up for work as efficiently as possible - that was kind of the run down of what we did today in our class.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/331085010076132065/  my friend says she has been doing this for quite some time now so I decided I would try them now as well you just keep cutting off what you need of the greens and it grows back.

I also have celery bottoms in just a bit of water to keep them going till I can plant them in the garden this time far from the edges no one gets to eat but us since some critter got them last year.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjUMb7PNVf_lr_saSAISTPCxEc_wE_3wTiOe2TR_TOSqd6Gk6LCYt2D2vMF6ZrTPBpfJY43t_uy0gWvkEyeB0Ecysr6Fz5PVJcyxPsQMhWOF12h0xQXM7XmhjCBEHFCEo92bqgF864ZEp5z/s1600-h/100_5851_00.jpg have the kids make these row markers for you...how cute

Scroll down to see the beautiful way they did an herb garden. I think it is really a neat thing that would continue to give you herbs -http://www.artandappetite.com/category/home_decor/

If you have room to plant trees I suggest everything you plant in your yard to be a provider for you like blue berries, raspberries, rhubarb, apple trees, plum trees that sort of thing and then you learn how to use the yummy goodness :)

http://www.artandappetite.com/category/home_decor/ Sis. Iseminger does this with her's and she has lots of peppers when she does this.

http://www.almanac.com/plant/tomatoes  time to think about doing the garden

http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/Horticulture_and_FarmersMarkets/pdfs/GrowIowaBooklet.pdf this is great for those who will be container gardening

http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2007/06/bread-making-for-beginners.html#comment-form  great bread tutorial

http://www.honeybeepantry.com/  this is a great site on food storage, she is a wonderful lady always so helpful to help others do good storage!

Keep working on your storage and keep learning those skills. It is harder with the summer coming on but keep pushing on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...