Monday, October 5, 2015

Monday Message


"Every father and mother are the family’s storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency. . . . Some have said, “We have followed this counsel in the past and have never had need to use our year’s supply, so we have difficulty keeping this in mind as a major priority.” Perhaps following this counsel could be the reason why they have not needed to use their reserve. By continued rotation of the supply it can be kept usable with no waste" (James E. Faust, in Conference Report, Apr. 1986, 26; or Ensign, May 1986, 22).

Food storage means different things to different people. Some think they will just store long term things for the end of times and then it is never touched again. Some store everything and not touch it once it is on the shelf. Some buy twelve things of everything and call it done. I am sure there are many other ways out there.

Just a word about these ways... I mentioned the first way. While it is good to store, if you do not incorporate the stored food in your diets your body may not take kindly. Also, the taste buds might not like them. Food storage should not be punishing foods. The other if you are storing all your food for when hard tomes come you might find when the time comes it will be rancid and spoiled and if you get twelve of everything it would be okay if you only had that item once a month. You will be left wanting.

I will explain what I do, I am not saying right or wrong or that you have to do it exactly like me.

I do store wheat but not planning to use it for meat substitute or at end times, I use my wheat. Some cannot use wheat, they would be storing what they can use. By the time this message comes out conference will be over. We have cinnamon rolls and chili on conference weekends and yes, there is wheat in those cinnamon rolls and breads I make on a regular basis. You maybe don’t have to do bread as often as your budget may allow you to purchase bread but if you were cutting expenses making your own bread is an option. I do encourage you to make some so your family gets used to it.

Beans - I know that some make brownies using black beans and a brownie mix but while some like this, if I had the choice I would make brownies from the mix and make yummy black bean soup with the beans but when cutting expenses and being frugal I make the brownie mix from scratch.

I am not saying that the things are wrong I am just saying what I do. If you had given me detailed lists of what you do I would post that.

As we have had lots of hardships over our years, which I am not complaining as they have taught us much and have made us who we are… they have helped me do my storage differently.

My storage is like a huge pantry. There are the staples, which I use regularly, there are fruits, veggies, potatoes, meats etc. There is nothing stored for end times just future use. I rotate so that the food will not go bad, still some get hidden, this is how I know food can go bad but trying to be frugal and rotate and be organized, we all pretty much have space issues which proves we have to be more creative. I liken my storage, which is not perfect it will always be a work in progress, but I liken it to how past generations would put up enough food to get through the winter. So if I use that scenario it is prudent to have food on hand… different from them in that they did not have grocery stores as readily available as we do but for us our income was sometimes up and sometimes down, when up I could stock up, when down we still ate.  

How… ?

Well since we have a tight budget I do most everything from scratch. It takes more time and more work but this means money can be saved for paying bills. I am ever on the look out for ways to do more from scratch, so storing the basics is a need. I forgo things I might want to make sure I have the basics on hand. I grow a garden each year to put up food for the storage and I hate gardening but it helps us to use our finances for bills. We can't only do the things we like... I try to keep a list of what things I need to beef up on. Then when money permits I will get a few things on my list. This has helped me when I don’t feel up to getting groceries I don’t have to fret. I have fibromyalgia and some times I don’t feel up to things so I must plan extra and things take longer.

Is food storage my whole life? No, I have vast interests and love to learn.…but it is like a checkbook you cannot just throw your checkbook down and not touch it for years. No, you use it, you add to it and you have to stay on top of it or you will have troubles.

I try to learn all I can on being frugal, how to make do with what i have. I love sharing what I find with you :)

By sharing about me and how I manage on what we have I hope it helps you to prepare for the hard times in your lives - we all have them.

One bit of advice I would give, learn the skills now when you are not having hard times it is easier, still do it in hard times, but it's easier to learn the most useful first like how to make bread or find scratch recipes your family likes.

One other thing... take joy, there is joy in life. Don’t bemoan your hard times, take joy in life. Be happy and do the best you can.

Here are some frugal ideas for gift giving -http://www.biblemoneymatters.com/100-frugal-creative-homemade-christmas-gifts/

http://lilmoptop.blogspot.ca/2010/10/easy-fabric-roads.html  I would love to play with these, easy to make and fun for sure.

https://www.pinterest.com/mommysavers/frugal-gift-ideas/ - cute

http://www.thefrugallife.com/christmasparty.html - frugal ideas

What skills do we need??

how to make bread, rolls, cinnamon rolls, etc.
how to make cakes from scratch
how to make frostings from scratch
how to make cookies from scratch
how to make pies from scratch
how to make soups from scratch
how to cook meals from scratch
how to make mixes from scratch
how to can veggies, meats, fruits, etc.
how to dehydrate and how to use it afterwards
how to mend, sew clothes and other needed items
how to knit, scarves, hats, mittens, socks, sweaters, dish cloths, etc.
how to quilt using used clothes to make blankets and pretty home improvements
how to upholster furniture and make slip covers
how to crochet (can be hats, scarves, mittens and sweaters etc.)
how to make do - this is huge!
how to be happy with what we have - this is huge too!!
how to give your family hair cuts, learn how so they don’t want to go to school with a bag on their head
how to yard sale
how to shop frugally at thrift stores
how to plant a garden, how to improve the garden
how to make a rug, there are many ways
learn fun things like I am teaching myself to tat, the pioneers called it poor mans lace, even in sod huts they tried to beautify their homes.
how to embroider
you don’t HAVE to take classes, there are many free lessons online or ask someone who already knows how.
push yourselves to learn new things

These are not just waste of time but are enriching.
Teach the next generation.
Learn to live on what you make, this is a great skill.

I am sure you can think of more to add to the list. I am sure you can build your storage to suit your family.

I am so glad to hear how many of you are working on your goal of getting in your storage.

If you need incentive as a family start reading The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls… incentive for stocking up in that book as well as inspiration on how to keep a journal. Some day you may write your story. Also they used their skills and such to make gifts for Christmas. I think homemade Christmas’ are the best for sure.

Please keep letting me know what you are working on and how you are building your skills.

2 comments:

  1. Today I ironed some country kitchen designs on flour sacks. I like to embroider in the evenings while visiting with Hubby and children. I'm still working on sewing skills. I made a new brownie mix and it is good so I quadrupled it. I added some canned fruit to the pantry and toothpaste to the hygiene supplies.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love hearing all that everyone is doing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...