Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday Message



"Acquire and store a reserve of food and supplies that will sustain life. ... As long as I can remember, we have been taught to prepare for the future and to obtain a year's supply of necessities.  I would guess that the years of plenty have almost universally caused us to set aside this counsel.  I believe the time to disregard this counsel is over.  With events in the world today, it must be considered with all seriousness."  L. Tom Perry, "If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear," Ensign, Nov. 1995.

At the time you're reading this I have not felt well for the better part of a month, which makes me ask... what is your sick plan? If you don't have one it might be a good idea to make one as this time of year we get a lot of illnesses. We pass germs around so easily.

Some things I suggest is when you fix casseroles make two and freeze one so that if you have need of it later you could pull it out.  

Make a large pot of chicken soup and freeze.

Think on the things you want when you are sick or what you wished you had on hand like soup, crackers, etc. When you have family to take care of while you are sick it is harder to meet everyone’s needs.

www.dontwastethecrumbs.com/2016/01/5-fail-proof-ways-to-reduce-grocery-spending this has very good ideas to reduce the grocery spending.

http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2014/01/14/how-to-read-through-a-grocery-ad-and-deals-to-meals/food-storage-recipes - i love this gal and follow this when my grocery plans get made.

www.moneycrashers.com/ways-save-money-groceries - working hard to save on getting groceries is a frugal thing.

http://time.com/money/3481381/save-on-groceries/ - these are good things to know in this article, cart size was interesting. We need to do a lot towards cutting the costs on groceries, it's a place we can obtain storage funds and build a skill.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/menuplanning.htm - this is a great read helping to better menu plan, we need to know the best way to make menu planning.

http://www.plan-and-organize-life.com/kitchenorganization.html this has some kitchen organizing ideas. Instead of a coffee area as they explained, how about a hot cocoa area yum.

http://www.plan-and-organize-life.com/organizerecipes.html this can be a nasty thing if not controlled and trying to find a recipe if it was not put back right could take hours.  

I personally believe if you have your recipes only on computer start printing hard copies. We all have seen things get eaten or misplaced in the computer or lost somewhere in a folder. Also think tech changes... if you had your recipes on a floppy disk how would you retrieve them now? We have no idea what advances will be made.


I inherited this recipe box from my husband's grandmother who was very special to me.
  
I liken this to storage - have a hard copy. I feel this way about genealogy as well. Having a hard copy does not mean you stop using the computer. No, it just means at the very least if your electricity went down you could find the recipe you were planning and could continue for when lights came on or store it and make something else… it's good to have back ups.

While your at it print off for your kids too - a great Christmas gift or great for hope chests.



I use binders and a recipe file. My file is a vegetable crisper (in the pic above). I have a friend who uses an old sewing machine drawer. Be creative but do not throw them in a bag. It will never get organized and you will finally give up looking and go out to eat wasting time and money.

Long ago when our kids were little I made flannel board stories for family nites. I felt like if I made them perfect I would never get any done, so I did them as best I could with the resources I had. Some have a cut up piece of flannel shirt on the back, some had sand paper, a few were nicely printed and colored and such (those were made in homemaking meeting classes). But I figure the main thing is just to make them. It never mattered to the kids that they were not pristine, nope. So now we have a file cabinet of well used and played with flannel stories.  

Sometimes you have to choose. I had little kids and you all know how much time you have with little ones… we need to pick our priorities. TV would have you run to buy containers so that you could organize when truthfully you can organize without spending money. If you must purchase containers, check thrift stores. Sometimes using what you have is an idea for someone else, like the enamel vegetable crisper which is now a recipe file.

http://www.plan-and-organize-life.com/organizeyourrefrigerator.html ideas are useful, I overheard Sister Cox tell about something she does with her refrigerator shelves, we need her to tell us.

http://www.cranialhiccups.com/2011/02/homemaking-skills-where-do-i-start.html I like the one bite at a time and the list sounds daunting, I know, but I think that you see you do some version of these things already. I also like the part on teaching our kids.

www.oldfashionedfamilies.com/21-old-fashioned-skills-to-teach-children this has a great skills list for you to learn or teach kids. The only skills I had when I got married were the few things I learned at school although I cleaned, I guess that is a skill. I was never taught to wash clothes, only to fold and put away. When I went to the laundromat the first time I had no idea. Fortunately, a friend of mine was there to help me - what a blessing. I wish I had been taught everything before I needed to know it, so please teach your kids.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/114349278011518004/ what a cute idea for a chore chart, too cute, looks frugal too!


I want you to work very to find funds for storage using the things talked about in this blog and stock up use the menu planning good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...