Monday, May 23, 2016

Monday Message


“We all need to build a personal ark . . . And we shouldn’t wait until it starts raining, but prepare in advance. This has been the message of all the prophets in this dispensation . . . as well as the prophets of old.

“Unfortunately we don’t always heed the clear warnings of our prophets. We coast complacently along until calamity strikes, and then we panic.

“When it starts raining, it is too late to begin building the ark. However, we do need to listen to the Lord’s spokesmen. We need to calmly continue to move ahead and prepare for what will surely come. We need not panic or fear, for if we are prepared, spiritually and temporally, we and our families will survive any flood. Our arks will float on a sea of faith if our works have been steadily and surely preparing for the future.” - W. Don Ladd, October 1994 General Conference

If we choose to not follow a clear warning from our Prophets, will we then follow other ones?

If you choose not to follow a clear warning, why do you stop at a red light?

Sometimes we are complacent and think that it will never happen to us..? Really??

Picture a roller coaster, it goes up and down, now think of our lives. Sometimes we have a great paying job, things are going well - this is when the roller coaster is up. We kind of think this will always be so… what could go wrong?? Sometimes you have no idea that things are falling apart for your employer, sometimes you have a feeling. When you have that feeling you start looking for other employment just in case. When things go bad, often they catch us unaware and unprepared for…this is when the roller coaster is down.

This is not an if - it is a when.

So when things are well and you are up on the roller coaster this is the time to put in your storage to help you when you go down.

If you think dehydrating food or canning food or grinding wheat is old fashioned, you couldn’t be more wrong.

If you have already had hard times more likely you have your storage in. If you have not… talk to someone who has, this will help you to be inspired.

I think you should examine why you don’t and before you say time, money, or space you need to go back through this blog for I have addressed all these areas.

I would rather have food on the shelf taking room than have none and need it.

Before the great “recession.” I was in a store and I buy my flour in 25lb bags, I noticed that it jumped up one dollar. I tracked down a worker and asked why? He said just wait the price will come down… ha! Worse advice ever. I did go ahead and purchased it and I can tell you, I watch closely and it has not come down yet… food for thought.

I do dehydrate food. I learned how to in Relief Society. I can say that about all my homemaking skills.

This was the best video I have watched on dehydrating so watch the video! http://storethisnotthat.com/dry-youll-like-dehydrating-class/ 

Dehydrating is a really inexpensive way to build your storage. You can usually find one at yard sales or Goodwill or at other thrift stores. And you have extra fruit and veggies that sometimes are tossed. I have always said my favorite is buying frozen veggies on sale, this is the EASIEST thing to do - you just dump on trays and dry.  

If you worry you won’t know if it is done drying, take a piece of your dried food and drop on the counter, if it sounds like plastic it is done.

I learned things from the dehydrating class above.

Once you get that, move on to food saver. This by far saves so much, using it literally saves money. 
  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E552XSAXEdk - this is my favorite way to use my sealer, with the canister. Do you see she has jars from spaghetti sauce and such? What a savings! It also can be with canning jars. I save my used canning lids as they are best to use in vacuum sealing. Never can with used lids - only when vacuum sealing. Also vacuum sealing is only for dry food, never wet.

Yes, you can find them at yard sales and Goodwill, etc. I have found them. They must have a port on them, which is just a hole you stick hose into. I bring this up because they made them for just bags and you want the little hole in it.

Here is a LINK to my post on step by step vacuum sealing.

You can take your jar you have vacuum sealed in, open it and use some, and reseal as many times as you want.

This is a huge money saver - stop tossing out food.

Getting in these basic items help you to be able to take care of your family.

At the end of the dehydrating video up above she shows dried food in jars vacuum sealed.

Chocolate chips you can leave on a shelf in the bag and over time they turn white then break down, but if you vacuum seal in a jar they do not ever break down.

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2016/05/11-easy-ways-prepare-eggs/ I pan boil eggs just as she does and never ever had issues.

http://stitchandpink.com/2016/05/sewing-binder-part-1-lesson-6-french-mock-french-seams.html this is to keep you going on your sewing skills.

I know this blog post is kind of wordy but I cannot tell you how strong I feel about you getting stuff in storage. It is not antiquated or old fashioned. Remember, it is better to have storage than to need it and have empty shelves… Don’t put it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...