Monday, July 11, 2016

Monday Message


"Signs of the Second Coming are all around us and seem to be increasing in frequency and intensity. ... While we are powerless to alter the fact of the Second Coming and unable to know its exact time, we can accelerate our own preparation and try to influence the preparation of those around us.  We need to make both temporal and spiritual preparation for the events prophesied at the time of the Second Coming." Preparation for the Second Coming, Dallin H. Oaks (2004).

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2016/06/make-childrens-first-aid-kit/ you should be working on your first aid kits too.

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2016/06/grind-whole-wheat-make-bread/ nothing tastes better then grinding your wheat, such a fresh taste and healthier too.

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2016/06/organize-pantry-cheap/ being organized helps us save money and saves times.

http://www.foodstoragemoms.com/2016/06/35-reasons-store-vinegar/ good things to know

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=General+Information+On+How+to+Adjust+Sewing+Pattern&&view=detail&mid=244C33B5CEAFA4080557244C33B5CEAFA4080557&FORM=VRDGAR
building sewing skills

I have decided no matter what age or skill level we can still build further. I had some basic sewing in seventh grade.

When we first got married I found some cut fabric for cheap and I then sewed a quilt. We used it for many years. I wanted to make homemade bread, it took years and years. I knew how to make cookies as I had three brothers and three sisters so I learned those. 
It took six years before we had kids so I learned the skill of embroidery and made pretty things for our home. I continued to learn to sew. At church we had classes on baking bread, on making soup, on hair cutting, on making fruit leather (yum!), on canning, on learning so much.

I know I am old, I get it, but these skills taught me so much and I have made our home better for it.

I wish I really knew how busy I would be after the children came. I wished I had made bibs, blankets, clothing for then. I just thought I would be able to.

When Laura was three I would sew with her little feet straddling my back leaning over to watch. I learned from a friend that I could pick up jeans with broken zippers, all adult size, free from the free box at yard sales. I would open the whole inseam on both legs and lay inside matching it inside. I pinned the little pants pattern together to make one piece then I laid it so that outside seam of jeans ran down the center. I put the center of the little leg pattern so it ran down the center so when I sewed the inseam of the tiny jeans and put in the elastic waist and hemmed the ones up high on the big jeans. The smaller size I slid down to incorporate the hem but in the very end I had authentic looking jeans for the girls. Did this for years. My friend taught me to make t-shirts and I  took it one step further and appliqued Carebears on the front.

So skills are like coin collecting, you just keep adding more and more.

And someday your little daughter’s friend who would come and get cookies everyday after school finally asked me how do I know how to make cookies different every day… that was cute. I made cookies so our kids could have something warm right after school.

http://storethisnotthat.com/ - this has three classes, the one on drying your food is excellent but so are the other two. Scroll down on the page to see.

Tip: I dry spinach leaves and crush some and put in jars. This is such a fast good food to throw in your soups and salads and casseroles, even to have in the pasta you make.

Tip: My favorite thing to dry is frozen mixed veggies when they go on sale. The hard work is done for you. All you have to do is open the bag and pour it on your dryer tray. I use mine in soups and casseroles.

So add to your skills. I could have bought the cookies but these I made from scratch were healthier and were warm from the oven :)

Learn and build your skills, I have several hard ones I am trying to learn but I push on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...