Monday, August 21, 2017

Monday Message


"Today, I emphasize a most basic principle: home production and storage. Have you ever paused to realize what would happen to your community or nation if transportation were paralyzed or if we had a war or depression? How would you and your neighbors obtain food? How long would the corner grocery store—or supermarket—sustain the needs of the community?” (President Ezra Taft Benson)

"Those families will be fortunate who, in the last days, have an adequate supply of food because of their foresight and ability to produce their own.” (Ezra Taft Benson)

 I have mentioned before that 39 years ago or there about we lived in South Dakota and there was a truckers strike and everything came in by trucking. Back then stores stored more than they do now. If a big emergency happened now the stores only have 24 hours of food.

I know (really I do) when times are tight it is hard to work on getting in storage but even if you can pick up one thing at a time it will add up.

Building our skills help our family…



For example, my making our bread saves about seven dollars a month. Actually, that is not counting gas. I know, how many times have you said, "seven dollars, no big deal." But if you take that for the whole year you are saving roughly $84. Now I can think of a lot of storage I could get for that amount of money, but even if you could only stretch your budget that helps. Little savings add up to the ability to make do. Really, who can pass up these?



Cooking from scratch saves us money and allows us to make do. In tight times we might not be able to stick much away but it is taking what income we have and making it work. It helps smooth rough times.



Yard sales and buying used has really helped us over the years with school clothes and winter gear and clothes for us, dehydrators, food savers - yes, plural - and most are like new. One food saver was still in its package. We have gotten oil lamps, toys, blenders, mixers, popcorn poppers, crockpots, furniture, serger, sewing machines, knitting machine, sewing and knitting notions, even basket making supplies, and many other things that have made us able to make it through tough times. Was it hard to go to yard sales? Yes, physically, but it was well worth it. Was it hard with kids? Yes, but those kids are now thrifty shoppers as well, a skill passed on to them.

When I went to yard sales I was armed with a list. I also had in my mind things that would help us put up food, sew or mend, notions to be able to knit warm sweaters, scarves, etc. Here again, little by little I built up things that have helped us and yet continue to help us. For example, I got these knitting needles for a dime. Look at the very old price at the top. Can’t find them for that price new any longer.



So when you are thinking to get something new, think used and look around.

I know I push skills, especially sewing. Many times I had been asked to mend for pay. It was a blessing that helped us to stretch our funds, always paying tithing on it seemed to make it all the more helpful.

http://www.littlehouseliving.com/simple-tips-for-living-on-next-to-nothing.html - there are many great ideas in here.

http://therenaissancehousewife.weebly.com/home/sewing-frugal-skill-or-expensive-hobby

Freecycle and yardsales and destashings helps with sewing fabrics and notions.



I think she has great ideas. There are lots of refashioning and re-purposing. I know of someone who makes underwear from found t-shirts. Just picture a girl's t-shirt with polka dots. How cute? Believe me when I tell you they are so easy to make. I will ever be grateful to a sewing teacher who taught me. I made my girlies panties but back then, never thought of t-shirts for the fabric.

https://hiproofbarn.wordpress.com/2017/08/04/frugal-endeavors-in-which-i-flash-my-undies-on-the-internet-and-get-naughty-with-my-zucchinis/ - don’t let her title throw you off, scroll down to see underwear she made from t-shirts. I love the crochet flower then go ahead and read about the zucchini flowers, identifies male and female blossoms, who knew!

http://creativecaincabin.com/2013/06/line-drying-clothes-is-therapeutic-to/ - I was lucky to have a landlady who showed me.

http://gnowfglins.com/2010/03/12/how-to-season-cast-iron/ - did you know cooking in cast iron helps with your iron level? Doctors recommend using them.

https://tatertotsandjello.com/2017/08/10-must-have-supplies-when-youre-learning-to-sew.html - I know I said this before but these are items you will be looking for.

https://www.sockdreams.com/blog/2011/03/18/diy-darn-it/ - I know I keep bringing this up but every little thing adds up to bigger things, learn to patch everything.

http://homeftw.com/61-essential-skills-for-homemakers-how-many-of-these-can-you-do/ - this works great, I have got a free huge Quiesenart pan because it was slightly burned, sparkles like new now.

3 comments:

  1. OOooh , I have to got to go check out zucchine and underwear girl. When you were describing the underwear made from t shirts, I was thinking 'oh how comfortable!" The older I get, the more that is important to me! You have a pretty basket of fabric there. Check out my post today to see the very frugal quilt I finished up! (ps I have a basket full of old knitting needles, but don't know how to knit.... yard sale!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would love to see your blog can you send it to me ..i love that you got knitting needles now you can learn to knit how fun i bet they are pretty

      Delete
    2. I think if you click on my name "Little Penpen" it will take you to my blog.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...