Monday, April 9, 2018

Monday Message


"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. We could refer to all the components of personal and family preparedness, not in relation to holocaust or disaster, but in cultivating a life-style that is on a day-to-day basis its own reward.” (President Spencer W. Kimball)

A way of life I like and somehow it feels cozy.

Just like I have been saying, when you go in a store pick up one thing for storage, even a box of gelatin or a box of band aides. It all adds up. Also, build those skills one at a time and they too will add up.

There are so many things we take for granted because of the ease of getting them. We should never slack on being sure to get our storage in, our family depends on us.

How are you set on needle and thread? This should be very much part of your storage. Clothes will always need mending.

Think of your storage as being a little store that if well stocked you can go to in a time of need and can get what is needed without money, because when you are in need you have NO money.

Think the same way with your skills, the more you know how to do for yourselves the less you have to pay for. The means may not allow you to get those services.

Play the "what if game" in your head. Like if I had no money could I just mend our clothes? Yes, you could barter but with what? And the other thing is that maybe others are in a bad spot too. So knowing how to mend is a good skill to have. Then plan that out and make it happen.

Putting things off is your enemy! It will make things harder on your family. Learn to do before you need it.

http://www.marcandangel.com/2014/06/11/20-hard-things-you-need-to-do-to-be-happy/ - there are good things here to think on.


https://www.grit.com/tools/learn-how-to-mend-and-recycle-clothes - this will be helpful.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+mend+clothes+and+tools&qpvt=how+to+mend+clothes+and+tools&view=detail&mid=5ACE995000DB4E5BA6AD5ACE995000DB4E5BA6AD&&FORM=VRDGAR - how to sew on a button.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=How+to+Patch+Clothes&&view=detail&mid=9953191BEA016F80FC909953191BEA016F80FC90&&FORM=VRDGAR - how to mend a hole.

When gathering supplies don’t forget pressing tools. You will need to press as you sew.


You will notice the big pincushion I made, won’t be losing that one :p but it is an example that if you build your skills you can just see something and be inspired to make your own. I saw a friend's pincushion, it was big with some embroidery on it, her's was 80 years-old. I loved it but put my own twist on it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=How+to+Patch+Clothes&&view=detail&mid=CEF33711736AC952C1DECEF33711736AC952C1DE&&FORM=VRDGAR - patching clothes

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Darn+Your+Socks&&view=detail&mid=B897524380018877E11CB897524380018877E11C&&FORM=VRDGAR - very good on how to darn.

http://www.lupinworks.com/knitting/heel/ - how to replace a heel in a sock.

Once you gather your supplies keep them organized.


Keeping things organized saves money too.

As I write this I am suffering with a double ear infection - definitely not fun! As you read this it will have been two weeks ago with the ear infections.

So I used the time to organize my knitting notions….



I got this bag a few years ago at a yard sale. It was a fishing gadget bag turned knitting gadget bag. I have seen them at Walmart in the sports section that is how I knew what it was. This holds four plastic containers


Here is how I am coming with working up the dishcloths.



This is a great skill to have and I am glad to be able to make them.

So keep working on your storage and take the time to learn skills maybe perhaps some that I shared here.

6 comments:

  1. The dishcloths look so soft and pretty. I have one 'knitted' cloth and several done by crochet. The knitted one is definitely my fav. The others feel too thick... maybe it was the type of yarn that used. They were all given to me as gifts. Your thread storage is pretty. I picked up a little rack from the thrift store recently that I am now storing my thread on... I like looking at all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make my cloths smaller so they aren't as heavy. I love seeing the different colors too.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry you are not well. Is there anything I can do to help you? Ear infections are painful. you poor thing. I have 13 Wedding dresses and at least 9 prom dresses in the shop right now. Ugh! Ia m blessed with work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it is getting better. Wow you are busy tis that time o yr

      Delete
  3. I just wanted to chime in to say how much I appreciate your blog. You are such an encouragement to keep plugging away at being frugal and prepared for whatever comes our way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you i know how hard it is to have funds to do it and little reminders help.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...