Monday, August 20, 2018

Monday Message


"I have on occasion cited the need for many reservoirs in our lives to provide for our needs. I have said, “Some reservoirs are to store water. Some are to store food, as we do in our family welfare program and as Joseph did in the land of Egypt during the seven years of plenty. There should also be reservoirs of knowledge to meet the future needs; reservoirs of courage to overcome the floods of fear that put uncertainty in our lives; reservoirs of physical strength to help us meet the frequent burdens of work and illness; reservoirs of goodness; reservoirs of stamina; reservoirs of faith.

"Yes, especially reservoirs of faith, so that when the world presses in upon us, we stand firm and strong; when the temptations of a decaying world about us draw on our energies, sap our spiritual vitality, and seek to pull us down, we need a storage of faith that can carry youth, and later adults, over the dull, the difficult, the terrifying moments; disappointments; disillusionments; and years of adversity, want, confusion, and frustration.

. . .Parents. .are expected to lay foundations for their children and to build the barns and tanks and bins and reservoirs." (President Spencer W. Kimball)

This quote reminds me of the children’s book Fredrick...

It is about a group of mice gathering food for the winter, all but one who seems to be resting. They would ask him why he wasn’t helping  and he would say he was gathering stories, another time he was gathering colors and yet he was gathering warmth from the sun. Winter hits and is long, their food starts to run low. One of the mice asks, what about Fredrick’s storage? So he shares the things he stored warmth of the sun helped them thru the cold winter the colors helped through the gray days and the stories helped them through the long winter too.

Everyone is important and lots can be done when we work together. 

This week I made two tops, both were from free tutorials… 



https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crafty+gemini+youtube&&view=detail&mid=194C498EDE3882304D51194C498EDE3882304D51&&FORM=VDRVRV - this is the tutorial I used. This is the first part. It has eight so look to find the second one on the side bar or at the bottom.




https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crafty+gemini+youtube&&view=detail&mid=E85395C2F6278AA404D9E85395C2F6278AA404D9&&FORM=VDRVRV - this is the first of seven parts.

It was helpful to do these with the class. I plan to use these patterns again as I like how they turned out.

I have the confidence to add pockets or different accents but for now I have to work on Christmas gifts.

https://www.threadingmyway.com/2012/10/seams.html - this is fantastic to learn about seams.

http://thesassysparrowblog.com/2016/03/sun-dress-tutoria/ - this is a great tutorial.

How are you coming on your skills?

Do you have sprouting seeds in your storage? I just want to say radish sprouts are my favorite.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Sprouting-Chia-and-Other-Small-Seeds/ - some good info on sprouting.

https://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2012/10/homemaking-help-101.html - this has some great info. I liked the decorating on a budget section.

http://homeftw.com/61-essential-skills-for-homemakers-how-many-of-these-can-you-do/ - I like number nine.

https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2014/01/modern-homesteading-skills.html - this has quite a list. It was fun to go through the list to see how many things I know how to do and how many things I will never do as well.

Building our skills is very very important. We may never ever do a lot of the things on that list but there are a lot that we do need to learn. Being frugal is essential. Not wasting what we have is huge. Find ways to reuse things.

Life is going to get interesting and the more we can learn and teach our kids these things the better off we will be.

Keep working on your skills, your storage, and supplies…do the best you can.

7 comments:

  1. Love the tops. I think your sewing weights are also clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tops are very pretty; I love the fabrics in both. I didn't realize there were sewing videos like this to help navigate through a pattern. This is awesome. I went through the skills checklist; I can do some, but certainly not all of those things. I skimmed the sundress tutorial too, now you have me itching to sew again. lol Actually, I"m sewing a binding on a quilt today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog today, I often read your blog but this is my first time commenting. I especially liked the opening quote, what a beautiful and useful topic. Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment I am glad you are reading the blog

      Delete
  4. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
    I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...