Monday, October 29, 2018

Monday Message


(Gordon B. Hinckley, October 2001)
“As we have been continuously counseled for more than 60 years, let us have some food set aside that would sustain us for a time in case of need. But let us not panic nor go to extremes. Let us be prudent in every respect.” 

There are so many things one needs to learn on living providently, things you don’t learn in school. I have learned that it is easier to learn skills before you need that skill and that when things are going good is the best time to learn and practice that skill.

When we were first married I could make cookies if we had the ingredients or hot dogs or mac and cheese (the box type). I could bake banana bread - again, if we had ingredients. But even though I took cooking classes in junior high school it was not practical things we learned. Mac and cheese and hot dogs were five for a dollar.

It took time to build up just the staples when we first got married that is why for my girls I wanted them to have the staples right from the start and gathered and gave them those.

Growing up we had cereal. I had no example on fixing food except mac and cheese or spaghetti box mixes.

We need to teach our kids. We do not do them a service by not teaching them.

I went to the laundromat the first time after getting married. A friend just happened to be there and she helped me know what to do. At home the only part I was allowed to do was fold and put them away so I had no idea.

So when I mention that it is better to learn and get food before you need them I'm speaking with experience.

http://theprudenthomemaker.com/index.php/component/content/?view=featured - she is a wonderful example, living providently doesn’t have to be cardboard furniture.

https://www.lds.org/liahona/1987/09/provident-living-a-way-of-life?lang=eng - this is a good explanation of living providently.

http://everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-2.html - this is my favorite site for food storage info. I was reminded that when you bake quick bread, like banana bread, in a canning jar and you take it hot out of the oven when it's done, wipe the rim and then put on a sterilized lid and ring. As it cools it seals, but to be shelf stable you should not ever do eggs in it. If you scroll down on her site to eggs you will see using unflavored gelatin you can sub for the eggs then it will be shelf stable. I used wide mouth pint jars or wide mouth pint and a half jars. If it rises above the rim just slice that part off, wipe the rim and put on the lid and ring carefully not to get burned. That extra slice will disappear easily... yum yum! :p  To use the canned bread I turn it over and give it a whack and it falls out. I tip it on the side and slice. You get nice round slices, so pretty and so yummy! We have had them a year out from canning and it's still great!

http://visitingteachingtips.blogspot.com/2012/01/provident-living-food-storage.html - you might enjoy reading this.


Chilly temps are here and that calls for something warm to drink! I make a hot cocoa mix recipe I got from my friend Liza.

Hot cocoa
3 c. powdered milk
1 ½ c. cocoa powder
1 c. powdered sugar
2 c. Walmart cheap brand of coffee creamer powdered
-Mix & adjust to your taste with less or more cocoa powdered or powdered sugar


Liza also does different versions...

Gingerbread cocoa mix
Use one fourth of this recipe
add to it…
2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp ginger
¼ tsp cloves
She likes to float little gingerbread men on top.

Peppermint hot cocoa mix
Use one fourth of hot cocoa mix
Crush 3 candy canes and mix up in mix

Marshmallow hot cocoa
To one fourth mix add mini marshmallows and mix up
To serve in your cup add a fourth cup mix and pour in the boiling water
Mix and enjoy.

We love her recipe and I am sure you will too!


This week I have been vacuum sealing walnuts and also raisins. I have kept walnuts a very long time, a year or more, and have not had them go bad. We just use them by that time but if you try without vacuum sealing they go rancid and when you freeze they take on freezer taste…

I try to get them ahead at Sam’s Club but I cannot always have funds. When I can I vacuum seal them to help them last longer. 


I do this is to stretch our meager income and it really helps.

I have also been working on Christmas gifts and learning as I go.


I also was able to squeeze in some spinning this week almost ready to ply.


Mother Nature sent us an early gift…a reminder winter is on the way.

Keep working on your storage and skills.

8 comments:

  1. I really need to start spinning again. I loved it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make more time for spinning as well

      Delete
  2. Ooh, lovely snow photo!!! We had some flurries last week, but no accumulation yet.

    Thank you for reminding me I need to pick up some dry milk. I'm on my way to the store in a few to get cat food and litter, and dry milk is something I'm running on the lower side of in my storage. Adding that to my list, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we too have cat food and litter on the list

      Delete
  3. I will be making some quick bread in jars for sure. Applesauce can be subbed for eggs in quick breads. I used to be allergic to eggs and have done so many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is good to have alternatives we should put them in our food storage binders great job thank you for your input we all learn from each other.

      Delete
  4. It's truly the time of year for hot drink mixes. Those look yummy. I was raised mostly on boxed macaroni and spaghetti mixes too, so I've taught myself a lot. I love learning these things and have found some excellent cooking videos on youtube. I'm going to check out the links you provided... thanks for so much info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is what I did too.... it is great to have so much info at our finger tips. glad for your comment.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...