Monday, April 15, 2019

Monday Message


"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. We could refer to all the components of personal and family preparedness, not in relation to holocaust or disaster, but in cultivating a life-style that is on a day-to-day basis its own reward." (President Spencer W. Kimball) 

I like this quote because if you get your storage up then it is just use, rotate, and replace. That way the hard part is tended. Yes, when life's emergencies happen you will need to use it for a while and not replace it till you can, just don't put it off. Remember to rotate it! Otherwise, when you need it most your supplies will have gone bad. I know it is work but make it a way of life.

https://everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-2.html - on that note I thought it would be good to revisit one of my favorite food storage sites. I really like her method on storing. Like if you have spaghetti, once a month you need to put in ingredients to make it twelve times. I also like her egg replacement with unflavored gelatin. Just scroll down till you see eggs. I do this a lot with oatmeal cookies so people can see how good it works. I will do one batch with egg and one with replacement. I label which is which as I can't tell them apart, hence the label.

I have been spring cleaning here big time. We have a wonderful family at church that does a humanitarian yard sale every year. The entire proceeds goes to aid all around the world when tragedy strikes. So I am making the most of my spring cleaning so that I can donate to this sale. Usually I do a fall cleaning but this year it will be spring I guess.

Lately I have been organizing in the kitchen to make things run smoother...



Here you see that I put my wheat grinder along with the mixer and I put the mixer tools in that green box.


I got a few dollar tree containers to organize and could not have done it without Gus as my helper.


https://www.thespruceeats.com/learn-how-to-cook-everything-from-scratch-1388352 - cooking from scratch is so much cheaper. I saw a package of three snicker doodles from a bakery at one of the grocery store chains where I live. On the label it said $7.95 a pound, good grief that is some mark up in price!

https://ivaluefood.com/resources/cooking-eating/creative-ways-to-use-leftovers/ - this is where meal planning helps. For example, ham leftovers could be ham and pancakes, ham salad sandwiches, or pasta salad with ham, or baked beans and ham, or scrambled eggs with ham in them, or a quiche, or ham and noodle casserole, bean soup with ham...you get the idea.

Here's a few pics from the corners of my home...



Share with us your ideas on how to be frugal. Remember do the best you can.

9 comments:

  1. One thing I do is keep a running list of fresh foods and leftovers in the fridge. This helps me prevent wasting anything. And lately I've been diligent about taking food with me when I have a day of running errands. I'm unable to eat out so I wouldn't spend money that way but I feel much better to not arrive home feeling weak from not eating. Also I get my crockpot going on busy days.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your ideas we all benefit from sharing ideas

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He adopted me I had lost my cat who passed away I sat outside was very sad all of a sudden gus came and jumped on my lap he knew I was so sad....and now when I have fibro pain at nite and moaning he comes and lays down on me purrs loud till I calm down then he goes a good kitty for sure he was a stray and did not want to come in without missy he was taking care of her so in they both came.

      Delete
  3. I have been going through my food storage taking inventory and cleaning. I came across 2 cans of broccoli cheddar soup that expired the end of 2018. I used them with some chicken and broccoli and made a delicious dinner. Anything that has an expired date or a near to date was put on a use up soon shelf. I like to go through at least once a year. With 4 people using things, items get moved around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! canned goods can go yrs after those dates but you are doing a great job at rotating a good example to all of us!

      Delete
  4. I am amazed at the price of a small package of cookies at the store and they are hard and really don't taste that great. I whipped up a large batch of Swedish sour cream cookies with my great grandmother's recipe. They owned a large dairy estate in Sweden so sour cream,eggs, and butter were always available. I made 10 dozen drop cookies and frosted them with a lemon icing. We have 7 missionary sets we watch over so each was delivered a dozen and I took three dozen to choir practice. Cost was minimal as all ingredients were bought at rock bottom prices. Butter from freezer, sourcream 1/2 price, we have our own chickens, so flour, leavening, powder sugar 1/2 price, sugar bought at Christmas sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your killing me wish I was visiting and eating those cookies we would love the recipe if your sharing

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...