Monday, June 29, 2020

Monday Message


"Today, I emphasize a most basic principle: home production and storage. Have you ever paused to realize what would happen to your community or nation if transportation were paralyzed or if we had a war or depression? How would you and your neighbors obtain food? How long would the corner grocery store—or supermarket—sustain the needs of the community?" (President Ezra Taft Benson)

I don't think we have to imagine anymore. We now see happening what we never could have thought of but yet we are here.

I know it is harder now but try to pick up a little extra when you get your groceries.

It is hard to conceive not to being able to get all the supplies to even bake bread...something I never thought I would see...but here we are.


I made this bread this week. I'm thankful I have stored the ingredients to be able to do so. I looked up yeast to see if Walmart has it and it still doesn't. I do not need yeast, I have lots but I am using it to judge how things are, same with meat.

I have not been inside a grocery store since this started to get bad in the beginning. I do the online store pick-up as we are in the high risk. So this is why I check, I have no idea how the shelves are.

Our positive cases are rising and the news reports say lots of states are rising, this being said, try to be ready for harder times ahead. There will continue to be limits on things and shortages on many things. Have you noticed the toilet paper company with the bears in the commercial went from "you should not have to worry, we are working around the clock" to "you aren't using too much are you?" They claim that because they are a good brand you can use less... something to think about.

The virus is still here and going strong. We need to keep doing the things that will keep us safe. If we get complacent it could have bad consequences.


As I'm writing this, our 46th wedding anniversary is tomorrow on June 15th. I know this will be two weeks ago by the time you read this. We were together in seventh grade and every year after that. We were high school sweethearts and married two weeks after we graduated. This will be the weirdest anniversary we have ever had as we cannot risk going anywhere and it will be the cheapest as we will be eating in and not going out. We will miss the Half-Priced Bookstore as we would include that in our anniversary date. But when things call for it, we all must do the most prudent things.

I made up seven more bread mixes while the bread above was going on.


I make three loaves in two weeks time, one of those is cinnamon swirl. The one pictured above is plain though I throw in a handful of oatmeal.


The garden is doing great. I did have to replant some green beans as one package did not come up. I was just going to leave it but I went through my seeds for something else and did not think I had any left. What was I thinking? I had several packages so I replanted those. I also planted a package of pole beans out on the post so we shall see, so far everything is doing well.

We were given Easter lilies over the years all white except one pink and this is what they became.


I will soon be picking raspberries to be making jam. I usually freeze till fall when it is cooler to be making jam.


Gus says keep working on your storage...plan for harder times and hope for better times.


There will be peaches this year, I cannot wait!


Missy wants to know what things you are doing during all this.

Everyone stay safe!

12 comments:

  1. Hello to Gus and Missy! Happy Anniversary! Your lilies are gorgeous!

    It was the same for us a few weeks ago when we celebrated 42 years married. We had a favorite restaurant we wanted to go to and they are back open and we were not afraid to go but it is downtown where there were demonstrations with mobs blocking streets and damaging vehicles so we thought it best to just stay out of harms way. We did buy a nice steak and grilled it at home and prepared a nice dessert so all was not lost. I think this home celebrating is just the new normal. We did not go out for my birthday either. This is how it always was when we could not afford a babysitter or dinner out. I do consider it a treat to go get some fried chicken made by someone else since I love it but hate to make it. We always did this for Mother's Day for maybe the last 20 years so now it is a tradition!

    It is confusing to see how odd the food supply is from place to place. We are quite well stocked here but see a hugely different story just a few hours from us. It does not make sense. Also, foods that some are experience severe shortages of are in large supply at our scratch and dent grocery store. It seems that we all must just do the best we can with what we can get in our area.

    Have a good week and I look forward to next weeks post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this isn't going away any time soon so yes we need to keep putting in extra as you can and make do and yes we need to find new ways of doing things

      Delete
  2. QUERIDA BECKY: AUNQUE YA TE SALUDE POR TU ANIVERSARIO, TE VUELVO A DECIR¡¡¡FELICIDADES A LOS 2¡¡¡¡¡ POR MUCHOS Y MUCHOS AÑOS MAS JUNTOS. TODO LO QUE COMENTAS, ES MUY PARECIDO A LO QUE ESTAMOS VIVIENDO AQUI, EL VIRUS ESTA ATACANDO Y MUY FUERTE, ESTE MIERCOLES, SE PONDRA MAS DURA LA CUARENTENA, CASI ESTA PROHIBIDO SALIR, HACE 102 DIAS QUE ESTAMOS EN CUARENTENA, EL PRESIDENTE PIDIO QUE SOLO SALGAMOS PARA COMPRAR PROVISIONES Y NADA MAS, LA GENTE AQUI ESTA MUY ENOJADA, POCOS SON LOS QUE PUEDEN SALIR A TRABAJAR Y MUCHOS SE TIENEN QUE QUEDAR EN SUS CASAS, NO HAY DINERO SUFUCIENTE,,ME PREOCUPA UN POCO TODO ESTO, LOS SUELDOS HAN BAJADO, HAY MAS PREOCUPACION POR LA ECONOMIA QUE POR EL VIRUS, HAY MERCADOS QUE VENDEN FRUTAS Y VERDURAS QUE HAN CERRADO Y LOS QUE QUEDARON ABIERTOS, HAN SUBIDO LOS PRECIOS,TAMBIEN HAY FALTANTE DE ALGUNOS PRODUCTOS. NOSOTROS ESTAMOS BIEN, DIOS ES FIEL Y SUPLE BASTANTE, TENEMOS ALIMENTOS, CARNE EN EL REFRIGERADOR, PAPAS, HARINAS, ACEITE, FIDEOS, ARROZ, ECT. NO PASAREMOS HAMBRE, SE COCINAR RICO Y CON POCO DINERO, AYER DOMINGO, HORNEE JUNTO A MI ESPOSO UNAS MASITAS DULCES, CON 1 KILO DE HARINA, SALIERON 50 MEDIALUNAS, TE COMENTO QUE LOS CHICOS, COMIERON UN MONTON, PRONTO LA VOLVEREMOS A HACER. ESPERO SIEMPRE EL LUNES PARA LEER TU NUEVO MENSAJE, ME AGRADAN TUS COMENTARIOS, TENEMOS MUCHAS COSAS EN COMUN, ME ENCANTAN LOS DURAZNOS, AQUI EN EL VERANO, COMEMOS EN ABUNDANCIA, AUNQUE NO TENGO MI PROPIO ARBOL. ORO POR TI Y TU FAMILIA, QUE DIOS LOS PROTEJA DE ESTE VIRUS Y DE TODA MALDAD DE ESTE MUNDO. BENDICIONES¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again our daughter lives in the south and says no yeast and no flour. Yes the opening was too early and many more are now getting sick. We have raspberries too I pick them wash and freeze them then when fall comes with cooler weather I make them into jam. I will be honest I HATE picking them owie much easier to make jam then picking. We haven't gotten peaches for last few years because of late frosts. Our neighbor blessed us with the peach trees his dad has peach trees and he got little starts they were five inches tall when we planted them up here in the north they don't get very big but oh how good they are the raspberries I make raspberry jam the peaches go in jam as well and I mix peach and raspberries to make a third jam.

      Delete
  3. Happy belated anniversary!
    I cut up my husband's ten or fifteen year old long johns to make cleaning rags. I need to zigzag around the edges yet. I also "harvested" the elastic from the waistband to use for a skirt in the future.
    I wonder, do you think I could make jam with frozen jalapenos from last year's garden?
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Happy Anniversary, Becky and Mr. Becky✨💖💓❣️✨ You have known each other most of your lives! Your lilies are gorgeous. Your bread looks beautiful, too. Thank you for the good reminders. There,S no place like home for me, anyway😊 Luv to the 🐱 kitties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They give loves back. Yes I did not like him very well in seventh grade that changed by tenth grade. Thank you....we just have to stay the coarse. Funny how the garden has changed as that Pic was two weeks ago it is all filled in now.

      Delete
    2. Becky, I am both impressed and inspired by you. You have the FM and yet you keep on going... you are like the energizing bunny! Take care and and stay safe. I will do better at reading your frugal blogs. 💕 Sincerely, Mary Tischler.

      Delete
    3. it does take a lot to push on but i got to keep going i am glad you are here with us on the blog Mary

      Delete
  5. Happy 46th wedding anniversary !!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...