Monday, July 27, 2020

Monday Message


"A cardinal principle of the gospel is to prepare for the day of scarcity. Work, industry, frugality are part of the royal order of life." (Bishop Keith B. McMullin)

It is amazing how well all of these work so well together to improve quality of life.

While we are consumed with with what is going on right now, we need to remember there are others all around us who have lost jobs and who have lost loved ones, those whose world has been turned upside down.

I think most of us have been affected financially and need to stretch our resources to live more frugally.  Is it work? Yes. I won't lie, it is work but we can do work, we can push on and do hard things.

So learn skills skills skills! Learn as much as you can... learn to put up food.



With funds tight right now if you cannot buy any equipment at this time do other things  like...

If you have herbs, you can tie those like a bouquet and hang them upside down.

Learn to be more frugal. Freeze the little bits of food. For example, if you have just a few green beans leftover, put them and the liquid into a container and freeze it. Maybe another meal it will be corn or carrots, just keep adding to this container, even leftover chicken or beef. When the container gets full make a soup with it and start this again saving for the next soup.

Dry out the last pieces of bread. When I worked in food service we would toss the crusts in a large pan. Then after it was full we put in blender and made bread crumbs which could then be used in meatballs or as a topping on casseroles.

Food is a huge area where we all could be more frugal.

Learn to bake bread...


Making your own bread stretches your budget.


While things seem so scary we need to do what we can to not let fear take you over. Missy says you got this!

I know it is harder to do things now but if you are learning a skill, involve the kids. They love helping and learning WITH you.

If you are thinking of purchases look into buying used first.





These needles saved sooooo much money. I got them at a thrift store. The cookbooks were from two different yard sales. Hy-Vee is a grocery store chain here and these books hold employee favorite recipes.

While the virus prevents me from going to thrift stores or yard sales now, I'm showing you that buying used is very frugal.


Learning skills greatly enhance our lives... Above is a picture of a dishcloth I'm working on.


Growing food is a skill that is good for you and your family and kids love to see the seeds they planted grow.


Having food is an added blessing. I wash jalapeno peppers and pop off their stem hats then I freeze them. When a recipe calls for a can of chopped chilies, I take one out of the freezer and let it sit for about four minutes then I chop it while still frozen. I make jam from them as well to have on crackers with cream cheese.


Gus wants us all to be safe!

10 comments:

  1. Our thrift stores are back open so we put on our masks and went. Beautiful brand new angel food cake pan for $1, a bread slicing guide that Hubby has been eyeing for $30 on Amazon for 50 cents, and a beautiful all cotton queen sized quilt for $8. It is much needed for the guest room. We are not risking stops at stores we know are overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great deals I bet hubby was happy with the bread slicer I love love angel food cake have you tried an angel food cake mix that has you just add water I think it is called one step you take that and mix can of crushed pineapple those two things and it can be cooked in a 9x13 pan it is very good man I think I should go make one

      Delete
    2. I have made that delicious pineapple cake but my husband is not a fan of it. I make my angel food from scratch withy Mom's recipe that was always our birthday cake. My old pan is 42 years old so a new nonstick one is a welcome new addition to my kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Hey Becky,

    This same stupid idiot left this exact message on the Rural Revolution website blog. Ignore the miserable reject. They probably work in a nursing home or are older than everyone, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a computer generated thing Sarah is working to zap it before it comes on comments I have never really read them all I see boomers and I just delete it so it doesn't matter

      Delete
  3. That foolish person, doesnt even know what your blog is about. Weirdness for sure. Love you Becky, we all love the work you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi it is a computer generated thing I have never really read a full comment from this I see key word and delete it Sarah is working on zapping it before it gets to comments thank you for your comments

      Delete
  4. HOLA QUERIDA BECKY: QUE PENA TENER QUE LEER ALGUNOS MENSAJES DESAGRADABLES, TU ERES UNA MUJER QUE INSPIRAS Y DAS BUENOS EJEMPLOS PARA SEGUIR, AYUDAS A MUCHAS A PREPARARSE EN DIFICULTADES COMO LA ACTUAL PANDEMIA, IGNORA LOS MALOS COMENTARIOS. SIGUE PUBLICANDO EXCELENTES IDEAS, ESPERO TODA LA SEMANA PARA LEER TUS NUEVOS MENSAJES, CUIDATE MUCHO. DIOS TE BENDIGA RICAMENTE HERMANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it is just a computer generated thing I see a key word and just delete it I have never even read the full comments Sarah our daughter who works on the blog with me is trying to get it deleted before it gets to comment section just ignore it ...yes we all need to keep pushing on with preparing very important

      Delete
  5. Love reading your posts. Thank you, Beth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...