Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Monday Message

"Start now to create a plan if you don’t already have one, or update your present plan. Watch for best buys that will fit into your year’s supply. We are not in a situation that requires panic buying, but we do need to be careful in purchasing and rotating the storage that we’re putting away. The instability in the world today makes it imperative that we take heed of the counsel and prepare for the future." (L. Tom Perry)

Yes, I feel we need to keep at it. Now is not the time to be complacent on anything.

I am writing this on a Saturday and with all the traffic, motorcycle groups and boats going by like before the virus was a thing. Makes me think our numbers will continue to grow.

We are in the heat wave too.

It is starting to feel like things are heaping up on us hurricanes, flooding around the world, not to mention the virus. There is more need than ever before and lots of hardship. It can be hard to see the light through so much darkness but we need to keep doing what we can, keep looking for joy. Take extra time finding fun things to do with your kids, they need you to be on your A game. You need to be there for them, not just present.

This is the hard thing of our lifetime so try to make things better for your family.

Try to stay positive. Keep sticking stuff in your storage. There will be so many who are about to lose their unemployment benefits most of whom have no fallback and harder times are ahead. Be ready to help as you can.

I have been picking the items from the garden (pic at the top). One thing I like to make is a garden sandwich, spread cream cheese on a bagel and top with onion, diced radish, green pepper diced and cucumber and add any veggie you want, it is wonderful!

What is something you like to make when it is soooooo hot out?

Gus says when it is this hot he chooses to take a cat nap.


I  finished this dishcloth this week so I checked it off my list.

Gus is keeping his eye on things.

I ordered a set of those sewing machine feet that you often see, they were on sale when I was trying to use a gift card...

Several years ago my friend Diane Miller showed me how she organized the feet for her sewing machine. A couple years after I happened to find the same thing she used at a yard sale for a quarter and two extra packages to fill the little binder for it at twenty-five cents each.

They were made to organize floss but I saw how she did this and knew that is what I wanted to do. I had very few feet for my machine though so I set it aside. When I got these there were 52 in the set. I pulled this out and labeled each. This set did not have a book but did have a picture and name of the foot so I numbered the baggie and put the picture numbered to match inside. Now some I knew, most I didn't how to use them so I found on YouTube how to use each and I jotted the directions on a card and put it in with the pic and foot in the baggie. So a huge thank you to her for showing me what she did! That is what I worked on this week.

What did you do this week?

Since I can't go to my favorite half price book store or library right now I am going through the books I have gotten before Covid. This is the one I am looking at right now, it was from the library book sale before Covid, I think it was 50 cents but not more then a dollar.  I can thank past Becky for having gone to the book sale not knowing a pandemic was coming.

You can see behind the book that I'm watching The Love of Quilting on Iowa Public Television.

This brings up frugal TV watching, this was a local free channel there are a few other shows I watch Father Brown, Agatha Raisin, Shakespeare and Hathaway, Midsomer Murders, Death in Paradise... these are shows on Iowa Public Television and we use Roku ...being frugal is more important than ever right now.

I have also been getting free books from the www.freefeedread.com site I told you about before. I have gotten a sewing book, some fix it and forget it books, some cozy mysteries, some gardening books.

My reading bear says free is frugal and reading is great!  He was adopted for free and I made his hat from scraps.

This is a peek into my week.  Let us know what you did this week.

Missy says find frugal things to do and stay the course of safety, do your part to to stop the spread of Covid and keep stocking your pantry as you can, learn new skills and find frugal fun things to do to have some down time!

14 comments:

  1. Missy and Gus are two very smart cats. �� I always enjoy your encouraging posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GRACIAS POR TU NUEVO COMENTARIO, ES SIEMPRE TAN ALENTADOR, CREI QUE NO HABIA NUEVA PUBLICACION, AYER LUNES, REVISE VARIAS VECES TU BLOG Y ME DESANIMO UN POCO Y HOY, POR FIN LO LEI, SIEMPRE DANDO NUEVOS CONSEJOS HERMANA. LOS TIEMPOS SON MUY DIFICILES EN TODOS LADOS, HAY ESCASES DE DINERO, ESTAMOS ATRAVESANDO UNA CRISIS FINANCIERA AQUI EN MI PAIS, TENEMOS ALGUNOS ALIMENTOS GUARDADOS, PERO SE ACABAN, Y SI NO ENTRA DINERO..... BUENO, DIOS SIEMPRE ES FIEL, DE ALGUNA MANERA, SUPLIRA NUESTRO PAN. HACE TIEMPO QUE NO PUBLICO EN MI BLOG, ESTOY TERMINANDO ALGUNOS TRABAJOS DE COSTURA Y PRONTO LOS PUBLICARE, ESTOY ALGO DESANIMADA, HAY MUCHA VIOLENCIA AQUI, DEJARON SALIR DE LAS CARCELES A MAS DE 4000 DETENIDOS POR EL COVID19 Y ESTO HIZO QUE AUMENTARAN LOS DELITOS, HAY MUCHOS ROBOS Y ALGUNOS SON VIOLENTOS, EL GOBIERNO POCO Y NADA HACE, TE PIDO TUS FIELES ORACIONES HERMANA, HAY UNA SENSACION DE QUE COSAS MALAS VAN A PASAR, OJALA QUE JESUS VENGAS PRONTO Y NOS LLEVE CON EL, Y QUE NOS SAQUE DE ESTE MUNDO TAN VIOLENTO Y HOSTIL EN EL QUE VIVIMOS. BENDICIONES Y QUE DIOS LOS GUARDE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry my message was late my daughter published it for me I keep two weeks ahead but Monday we were hit with that horrible wind storm it hit us really bad we haven't had power since it hit Monday morning we won't be getting it for four more days we got a generator and that is why I can answer now. It is very hot two huge branches fell on the garden flattened it they had to be cut off amazed some things are yet alive. It was like a hurricane traveled thru what a mess it is awful I will have a blog post with pics in two weeks it crossed our state in a hundred mile wide swath the whole way across the state layed all the corn flat we were very blessed we are thankful the tree that was laying outside the kitchen window was stripped of its bark a very huge tree the thing is I have no idea where it came from but it was carried a long ways we are still cleaning up in our yard big branches that had to be cut with chain saws a crew from the church came and helped actually one is here cutting a tree now but we have some shingles missing and power mast needs replacing others are missing roofs and trees are very big old trees that broke off and blown over out side of town a huge beautiful tree took out their barn our park a block from here massive destruction across from it a huge tree went over just and I mean just missed the house next door the root ball is bigger then our car and it pulled up concrete with it destroyed so much in our state so much. I am sorry things are so bad be safe I will be praying for you all.

      Delete
    2. GRACIAS BECKY Y LAMENTO TODO LO QUE TE PASO POR LA TORMENTA, GRACIAS A DIOS QUE USTEDES ESTAN A SALVO. BENDICIONES Y GRACIAS POR TUS ORACIONES, SERAN MUY BIENVENIDAS.

      Delete
    3. thank you still no power been a very long week

      Delete
  3. Hi Becky,
    I found your blog about two months ago from "The Bluebirds Are Nesting" or perhaps "Harvest Lane Cottage". I enjoy reading your tips each week and seeing your photos of Gus and Missy. They always make me smile and laugh. I have kitties as well and they are super entertaining. They even know a few tricks.
    I like your system for organizing sewing machine feet. I'm still more of a beginner in sewing, but I love to do crochet (especially filet crochet), embroidery, counted cross-stitch, ribbon embroidery, and making ribbon flowers. I also enjoy gardening (love raising flowers and veggies, don't fret over the bugs), baking, cake decorating, and cooking.
    I like Father Brown as well. I love period dramas. After the day's work is finished I like to sit down with a DVD and snuggle and play with them. I've been going back over my recipe books and looking through all my old issues of Victoria and Martha Stewart Living magazines enjoying the beauty and looking for recipes and project to do with what I have. I enjoy reading history related books, both real and historical fiction.
    I have always bought multiples of things when on sale, a trait I learned from my grandparents who were teens/ young adults in the Depression and then married with a child during WWII. The downstairs pantry and deep freeze were always well stocked.
    God's blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are here sorry to be late answering I am able to now due to a generator we got hit pretty hard with the wind storm on Monday it is very hot and still four days before power lots and lots of destruction in Iowa in a few weeks I will share pics two heavy branches pretty much flattened the garden had to be cut off I was amazed still things are yet alive..

      Delete
    2. Hi Becky i'm to hear the about yo wind storms since the lives was lost,glad you are back here now

      Delete
  4. Gus and Missy are the best. Great news here. Our calico cat Kitty Dumpling went missing about a month ago. We looked everywhere, well she showed up this week and was wearing a different collar. Aha, someone had kidnapped Kitty Dumpling. She was so so happy to see us and we are thrilled to have her back. So this is my best news of the week! And Shimmer is happy to have her buddy back. In other news I have started gathering scrap supplies for making bookmarks for stocking stuffers. Also I was given three bags of clothes that my friend's daughter was getting rid of. My daughter and daughter in law went through and pulled out what they liked. I found a few items for myself. I cut the old cotton tees into cleaning rags and then cut some items into pieces to use for sewing.
    Take care.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is terrific news best I have had and I needed some I am only able to write now with aid of a generator we got hit really bad by that wind storm still won't have power for four days it is hot I will do a blog on it that will be up in two weeks two heavy branches fell on the garden and had to be cut off but some things made it thru keep up the good job

      Delete
  5. I saw an article on my Facebook feed about Iowa this morning. I didn't hear a thing about it on the news and it looks devastating! I hope you get your power back soon and get things cleared up. I hope there were no serious injuries or fatalities. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still seven days out no power it is hot I am tired of dragging branches I just finished a blog post for tomorrow putting it ahead of ones in the waiting. It will be picture heavy

      Delete
  6. Becky, sending prayers for you, your family and community. Make God give you peace, and may your energy be restored.
    Hugs,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...