Monday, February 1, 2021

Monday Message


"Our Heavenly Father created this beautiful earth, with all its abundance, for our benefit and use. His purpose is to provide for our needs as we walk in faith and obedience. He has lovingly commanded us to ‘prepare every needful thing’ (see D&C 109:8) so that, should adversity come, we may care for ourselves and our neighbors, and support bishops as they care for others." (All is Safely Gathered In pamphlet)

We have been told this will get worse before it gets better. What can we do till then? Wear masks, wash our hands, and keep social distancing.

I think wearing masks will be with us for quite a while...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-make-cloth-face-covering.html - this is the easiest pattern to make but there are others, just search, but this is a good start.

Missy says we need to tighten our belts!

The stimulus will help but we will still need to tighten our belts and some don't have any belts left so we will need to tighten up our budgets. This means now isn't the time for those extras. I know some will say, what extras? It has been none of those for a long time now. I mention this to help you to stretch what you have.

Those who need to use food pantries, use them and get things that will stretch further foods like the basics, canned fruits & veggies, beans, rice, peanut butter and jelly, etc.

You get the idea. There are some restrictions and not a lot of choices so make what you do get stretch the furthest and if you get food stamps make those items go the furthest as well. Like you may want soda but think what could I get for that money? More meals. Use some to get basic items flour, yeast, shortening, salt, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar and baking powder… This way when the bread runs out at your house you could make more and you could make cookies instead of buying ready made ones freeing up more funds for other needed items...oatmeal instead of cold cereal or rice with sugar and cinnamon, pancake mix complete - if you run out of eggs and milk you only need to add water. Make sure you have eggs for protein… I think you get the idea, it is all about the basics. Storing those will make it so you can stretch the rest.

This will help with other bills.

Collect recipes that don't take a lot of ingredients. Groceries are going up in price.

Did you know you can use pasta sauce for pizza sauce as well as lasagna and for spaghetti, so purchase pasta sauce and drop pizza sauce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbr6uYIjL4M - this will help you make a great no-knead bread that you could have with soup. She even uses it for pizza crust. Sometimes it is better to watch how then to just read how, she is great.



Get some great and easy homemade bread machine recipes in my friend Liza's cookbook, check it out in this post - http://frugalmeasures.blogspot.com/2019/08/monday-message.html

We had a blizzard here this week so I thought we needed a nice green picture to remind us spring will come.


I also wanted to remind you that we should be thinking and planning our gardens.

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/extension_curall/119/ - I wanted to include this once again. I  keep a jar of this on the counter at all times, it is the best ever. It takes as long to make as it does to cook a can of soup. Yes, I did time it. It’s much cheaper and you know what is in it.

https://chickensintheroad.com/?s=Hamburger+helper - this is less expensive and yummy.

These are my two favorite sites. I have both recipes printed and have them in a binder.

Gus says to keep working hard at being safe!

15 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I quite enjoy your Monday messages. And especially the cats as I am quite a cat lover, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I look forward to your Monday messages as well, and especially the wisdom shared by your kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy all the things that you share with us in your posts. Thank you! And I love Missy and Gus, too! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Missy is like a girl doesn't stay put well for pics guys now he is a ham he will stay put for the pic

      Delete
  4. I also enjoy all of your posts! I find them very informational and soothing, and the cats are adorable too :) That greenery photo is lovely and makes me ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sadly that took a hit in the derecho but this yr it will come back

      Delete
  5. I love your Monday message. It was so beautiful. I keep reading frugality blogs who are not acknowledging those who are going through hard times, needing food pantries & food stamps during Covid. I have unsubbed from a load of frugality blogs because of the "I told you so" mentality that many of the writer's have taken.
    When they do acknowledge Covid financial losses the blog writer seems to demean the people who are needing those resources as if everything that happened is their fault.
    You are so beautiful to make those reading that yes soda would be lovely and you understand that but give them different inspiration too.
    When I have been donating I am putting in all sorts of lovely stretch meals that don't demean. I try to add special treats like soda's, candy or just that little something that was part of somebody's normal before all the loss. I always say a tiny luxury can give hope.
    Missy & Gus always give give the best advice.
    I love the outside photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading the Monday message.
      Safyneanais I echo your sentiments about frugality blogs, do I decided to start my own aimed at those of us living in tight budgets, using food stamps or getting help from food pantries.

      Delete
    2. That is so nice of you to do the little extras yes we all need hope thank you for your comments those kitties are characters for sure. The outside pics were taken before the derecho hoping they look good again this year. The flowers were Easter lilies that we were given all were white but one was pink I didn't even know there was a pink kind but they all went that pink red/pink it looks like I picked them to match the house color it was all their idea I just planted them to keep from the cats...i may have to look at these tomorrow as we will be in a blizzard warning. Yikes

      Delete
  6. The link to soup or sauce sos is broken. Thank you for your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for letting us know it is such a good recipe

      Delete
  7. The link for soup or sauce is broken. Thank you for your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Becky's daughter Sarah here) Thanks for letting us know! It should be fixed now :) Here's the link - https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/extension_curall/119/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...