Monday, March 22, 2021

Monday Message

"The best food storage is not in welfare grain elevators but in sealed cans and bottles in the homes of our people. What a gratifying thing it is to see cans of wheat and rice and beans under the beds or in the pantries of women who have taken welfare responsibility into their own hands. Such food may not be tasty, but it will be nourishing if it has to be used." (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

There is great satisfaction seeing food on your shelves. Plus, it gives a feeling that things will be okay.

If I have five dollars left over. I ask myself if I had hard times what would I wish I would have spent this five dollars on?

Just picture in your mind what do you have on hand right now if you couldn't get more due to funds. What would you have wished you had gotten?

Also, if you throw in more frugal meals it would free up some of your grocery funds to stock up a little more.

These are some of the things that have helped me get more on my shelves.

I would set aside an amount for yard sales - it has been a very useful thing to do over the years, I was able to use this to stretch our income. I was able to get school clothes for the kids and household items that made it possible to have and help me fix meals. I even got a sewing machine and supplies to mend those clothes. Winter coats and gear and shovels and whatever we needed.  Yes, getting things used has served us well all these years.

So though things right now make this hard to do, think about down the road and use your Facebook groups to find things you need used for less.

We just recently needed to replace a remote and had to get it online...new. It did not cost very much $7 but using it is very hard till I noticed that if I rolled a small piece of paper and put it in a spot inside that I can get it to work as the battery does not stay in place. My point being that new doesn't always mean better.

So being frugal is something that takes learning to make a little stretch to make enough. We can learn skills that we can put to use in our frugal quests.

I guess this has been on my mind as this week I was going through and testing my embossing powders to see if they were still good after twenty some years and I have been spring cleaning and reorganizing, so I tested them on little labels which I stuck to the bottom of the jars and turned them over so I could see at a glance. I bought only three bottles new. A gold and a silver and clear. There were some that were from swaps, some from Freecycle and the rest from yard sales and thrift stores as proof of the ten cent stickers. It is amazing how fast they added up. So the blessings of buying used has helped a lot.

These were 59 cents each, a huge huge savings.

Missy said this used granny square blanket is mighty fine.

Gus says always look for an item used before buying new if possible.

Our king size sleigh bed frame came from Freecycle. So I guess what I am saying is don't overlook used items. Free, as in the bed frame, or used can really boost the budget rather than bust the budget.

I threw this in to mention it is almost time to have the gardens again, this is another way to help stretch the budget too.

I never said stretching the budget wasn't work as it was work going yard saling, and Freecycle is picking things up and gardening lots of work and putting up the food is work. But all of it was worth doing.

But being content is the best of all.

Keep being safe, look for ways to be frugal, help others as you can and pray if that is all you can do, it all helps and so many need the help right now.

Love one another.

14 comments:

  1. Love your blog and especially the comments by Missy and Gus. You are a wealth of information! Keep repeating the message. A quick story about those yard sale pages...last year I sold (practically gave away) a slew of knitting needles and some yarn too. I really got a bit morose, thinking of all the money wasted AND lost. The upside? The lady who bought it all was teaching foster children to knit! My goodness, that brightened my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Similar thing happened I donated yarn I had gone thru my stash and gave it to a yard sale the proceeds go to humanitarian aid but a man came buy I was helping this was before the pandemic so I'm weeded thru my long needles and tons of yarn bought it all every bit he made an offer and we took it helping him to carry it all to his car he has a wife and two daughters who have handicaps but love to knit be was so very happy to do this for his family and I am sure they were excited and I say a win win his money went to humanatarian aid I got my yarn things cleaned thru and his family got something they could do while not well

      Delete
  2. Great ideas as usual and I love your kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are characters for sure but I would be lost without them..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are so informative and should be taken seriously in this day and age. I am ashamed to admit that I just read to see what Gus and Missy are up to. I have zero crafting ability even though I have crafting supplies and canning terrifies me. We do have well stocked pantries and two refrigerators. I am afraid that will have to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is ok canned food can be purchased at the grocery store....yes we all need to buckle down and stock up....the cats will keeping on with our photo shoots

      Delete
  5. I can't believe you got all those embossing powders at yard sales! What a great find. They are so expensive at the craft stores - and you've got a huge supply. That's the only way to go or you could go into debt buying every color. The comments above are precious about the people benefitting from yard sale yarns and knitting needles. Bless your kitties, they're so sweet =^.^=
    Mary in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I got lots of colors of pigment ink and I use the clear the most then I have the best selection of embossed colors with just this I got most of those too at yard sales I am not sure there are so many yet with pandemic. But goodwill and salvation army usually have them before pandemic I got two clear embossing powder also I got lots from freecycle so you might put on there you are looking

      Delete
  6. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 23, 2021 at 8:03 PM

    I always get surprised looks when I confess to how we acquired most of our furniture. We bought our sofa new. Our 2 living room chairs belonged to my husband's grandmother and are about one hundred years old. They've been reupholstered many times and are so beautiful and well made. The other furniture in the living room was from my grandma. Our dining room table was a wedding gift from my dad and our old priest let us have his old TV! The bedrooms were furnished via garage sale (our real wood bedroom set) for $100 and is Bassett. And curbside finds on trash day! We recently acquired a beautiful and huge 1940s era desk for free. Some friends of ours moved into a new home and the previous owners left it behind in the garage. All it needed was a good cleaning. It has the neatest little hidey hole that was used to store the typewriter at night. And most young people aren't interested in having any of it. I'm glad my husband and I both love the old stuff. I always joke that if a burglar ever breaks in, he's gonna leave US $20 so we'll buy something new! I think he'd do us a favor if he took the TV lol. It's at least 20 yrs. Old and must weigh a couple hundred lbs.!

    I have 3 local church rummage sales that I love to go to. The Methodist Churches do the best. They are so organized and do such an excellent job putting everything out.

    Anyway, enough blathering. I hear so much about minimalism being a good thing but having what you need to fix, make, and design things is pretty good also. I'm not talking about saving styrofoam meat containers by the hundreds but when this pandemic happened, we never ran low on food or things to do. Being prepared was definitely a very good thing.

    Love Gus and Missy and their weekly messages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi we could be twins that is how our furniture is too we are happy with what we have and blessed to have it. That little red rocker antique cost a dime at a yard sale and you can go all thru the house and the same story the trunk in front of the couch was freecycle thru out the house yard sales have bee good for us but I stopped going before pandemic.....the kittie do fun things

      Delete
  7. Missy & Gus are the best. :) I love your embossing powder collection. I bought all mine for around 25 cents too. I think my collection is twenty years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite way to emboss is pigment ink with clear embossing powder

      Gus and Missy will keep up their antics

      Delete
  8. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 24, 2021 at 11:12 AM

    I have never seen embossing powder at either a garage sale or a thrift store. I'm jealous! However I have found quite a few Stampin Up stamps in great condition 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fav way is to use those cat eye shaped pigment like green then use clear embossing powder I like the results of that better as you can get any color and looks better

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...